Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, we reported that a number of iPhone 4 users around the United States have been experiencing severely crippled upload speeds on AT&T's 3G network since the holiday weekend.

At the time it was unclear whether the issue, which limited upload speeds in many markets to 100 kbps, was an intentional cap placed by AT&T or if there was some sort of network issue or maintenance operation causing the slowdown. AT&T has finally responded with an official statement acknowledging that the slowdown is due to a software defect in Alcatel-Lucent equipment affecting users in certain markets under certain conditions.
AT&T and Alcatel-Lucent jointly identified a software defect - triggered under certain conditions - that impacted uplink performance for Laptop Connect and smartphone customers using 3G HSUPA-capable wireless devices in markets with Alcatel-Lucent equipment. This impacts less than two percent of our wireless customer base. While Alcatel-Lucent develops the appropriate software fix, we are providing normal 3G uplink speeds and consistent performance for affected customers with HSUPA-capable devices.
There is no word on a timeframe for deployment of the software fix for Alcatel-Lucent's equipment.

Article Link: AT&T Blames Recent iPhone Upload Speed Issues on Software Defect, Fix Under Development

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Very interesting - it's EXTREMELY rare for a manufacturer to be called out like this. Things are likely not all smiles and giggles between ALU and AT&T right now.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I only get around 38 kbps upload speeds, so I'm beyond all hope and basically don't really care anymore.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Like I said, it was a fluke.

Hardly a fluke.

This is and was a major issue for them (both ALU and ATT) which resulted in upload speeds being capped to very low speeds and caused a lot of people to be POed big time.

Hardly a fluke.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
isnt this the same junk that apple said would fix the reception issue.. and now att is blaiming apple also and they both hope that a software update is going to fix everything when both the iphone and att have crappy reception? :p

No, different issue, different signature, different fix.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hardly a fluke.

This is and was a major issue for them (both ALU and ATT) which resulted in upload speeds being capped to very low speeds and caused a lot of people to be POed big time.

Hardly a fluke.

Fluke is what I call it because it's not something they intentionally wanted. However, it is true this ain't no fluke, but a severe server problem.

Something I predicted on the iPhone forums when people thought it was AT&T throttling.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
LOL at "less than two percent of the wireless customer base."

So, 2% = every user in every major market? Ridiculous.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Fluke is what I call it because it's not something they intentionally wanted. However, it is true this ain't no fluke, but a severe server problem.

Something I predicted on the iPhone forums when people thought it was AT&T throttling.

Sigh.

AT&T *was* throttling. Not intentionally, but throttling it was.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
It makes you feel kind of bad for them that someone else usually causes the problem and then they get the black eye for it. I have to say one thing though they are not afraid to call out other companies when there is an issue. That takes a lot of guts in the business world and even though I don't really care for them I will give them credit for that.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Why is AT&T so crappy?

I mean if we are paying so much for their service why are they so crappy? Can't they improve themselves?

stokessd

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
There is no word on a timeframe for deployment of the software fix for Alcatel-Lucent's equipment.

I'm also guessing that there is no word on the timeframe when I'm going to get a partial refund on my unlimited data plan either...

Sheldon

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
This impacts less than two percent of our wireless customer base. While Alcatel-Lucent develops the appropriate software fix, we are providing normal 3G uplink speeds and consistent performance for affected customers with HSUPA-capable devices.

Right.....so under 100kbps is considered "normal" 3G upload speed? Pathetic.
Get your shi_t fixed AT&T pronto.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
No one is going to take the blame. They are going to put the blame on someone else!

Such babies AT&T and Apple

parham55

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
I want to know where they are pulling the 2% figure from. Also, how can they say "we are providing normal 3G uplink speeds and consistent performance for affected customers with HSUPA-capable devices" when in the leading sentence they say HSUPA customers are the ones affected?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.