Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al2o3cr

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
One wonders if it's a "software issue" in that they planned to throttle the phones, just not *that* much. Maybe Mr. Bolton (from Office Space) is working at Alcatel/Lucent. :)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Sigh.

AT&T *was* throttling. Not intentionally, but throttling it was.

You have evidence to prove this claim? AT&T already stated the areas served by Alcatel branded servers are the only ones affected, everyone else is fine. Like me, I still enjoy my 1.6Mb/s up. That means AT&T is not throttling but suffering from server downtime.

Why is AT&T so crappy?

I mean if we are paying so much for their service why are they so crappy? Can't they improve themselves?

It was not their branded servers crashing, it was Alcatel's. AT&T branded ones are working, hence not everyone is having probems.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
As a network engineer, I encounter hundreds of software related issues on routers, switches, and other components. As much as you test this before you deploy it, many times you can never encounter an issue until it is exposed to the stress of a production network. Good to see they are working with their vendor.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Hardly a fluke.

This is and was a major issue for them (both ALU and ATT) which resulted in upload speeds being capped to very low speeds and caused a lot of people to be POed big time.

Hardly a fluke.
Surely we must find a way to add drama to this, right? Networks are complicated and things like this happen. They'll get it fixed up and people will go on with their lives. And more to the point, only folks who pay very close attention to this stuff and know something about bandwidth, along with an unadvertised iPhone 4 feature, are even going to know or care about this problem. Not really much of a 'major issue'.

As a network engineer, I encounter hundreds of software related issues on routers, switches, and other components. As much as you test this before you deploy it, many times you can never encounter an issue until it is exposed to the stress of a production network. Good to see they are working with their vendor.
Well said.

isnt this the same junk that apple said would fix the reception issue.. and now att is blaiming apple also and they both hope that a software update is going to fix everything when both the iphone and att have crappy reception? :p
Did you read the article?

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Thank You AT&T!

Thank You AT&T!

So can I expect to see a credit on my account every month until this is fixed???

I am sure AT&T would be totally understanding if I only paid 2% of my Bill.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Some people are just ultra cynical or enjoy any chance to bash AT&T. The point is, AT&T wasn't purposely throttling the network, like a lot of people were saying. It will be fixed. In the meantime, my download speeds are twice if not more than they were, such that it rivals my DSL at home. But let's ignore that, right?

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
No one is going to take the blame. They are going to put the blame on someone else!
That's how corporatism works: when it comes to responsibility for a f**k up, the standard operating procedure is to blame a subcontractor or another company. That contractor in turn shifts the blame to someone else...until finally, the last link in the blame laundering chain attempts to blame the first link. Eventually, everyone is so confused by the sheer number of players in the elaborate network that they stop paying attention.

And the truth is, with extremely complicated technology and networking equipment, it really can be confusing--there can be several simultaneous problems/issues and multiple sources of failure.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Thank You AT&T!

So can I expect to see a credit on my account every month until this is fixed???

I am sure if AT&T would be totally understanding if I only paid 2% of my Bill.

Do wireless carriers guarantee speed? I thought they only guaranteed access.

Tesseract

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Yessssss yeeeEEEEEssssssss fight! Fight some more Apple and AT&T... you tears of blamery are delicious to meeee... (plus we're more likely to get iPhone on Verizon)

That's how corporatism works: when it comes to responsibility for a f**k up, the standard operating procedure is to blame a subcontractor or another company. That contractor in turn shifts the blame to someone else...until finally, the last link in the blame laundering chain attempts to blame the first link. Eventually, everyone is so confused by the sheer number of players in the elaborate network that they stop paying attention.

"Corporatism?" Really? Isn't that how everything works? Politicians play the blame game more than anybody else, and nobody ever gets any hard answers. At least in the "Corporatism" world, if blame isn't rightfully accepted and the problem isn't fixed, they start losing money FAST.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Thank You AT&T!

I am sure AT&T would be totally understanding if I only paid 2% of my Bill.
Because this feature—one you probably didn't even know about when you bought your phone—represents that much of the value of your service, right? :rolleyes:

I haven't even checked to see if it affects my phone or not, but the most I can muster is to say that if it did affect my phone, it would be nice to have it fixed. Upstream can significantly impact browsing speeds along with specific app features (e.g. image sharing, posting a video to YouTube), but it isn't that big a deal as long as they're planning to fix it.

schwell

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009

Agreed. However, the poster's on here with the mental maturity of a 16 year can't comprehend that there ever are problems with anything. Apparently, they grew up in a fantasy land where everthing was taken care of for them and nothing ever needed to be repaired or replaced.:rolleyes:

bobringer

macrumors member
May 20, 2004
isnt this the same junk that apple said would fix the reception issue.. and now att is blaiming apple also and they both hope that a software update is going to fix everything when both the iphone and att have crappy reception? :p

I hate to defend AT&T on this one... but, where again did you read that ATT blaming Apple? I mean, come on... the article is not that long that you couldn't read past the headline to see that AT&T didn't come close to blaming Apple for this.

Voytech

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
I'm a bit baffled at the 2% figure as well. Surely that's a lie. Maybe Laptop Connect users would amount to 2%. But every iPhone, blackberry and other smartphone user? No way.

thetaylor13

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Work
2% of AT&Ts 78 million customers is still over a million and a half users affected.... sounds a lot harsher than 2% when you put it that way.

skew

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I would love to get a 100kbs then it would be halfway useful. Right now I get 14/14 yes 14 edge network checking email is a very painful task. At&t still has no problems charging $30 for this speedy service.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I used to defend and support AT&T but over the years their hubris with the iPhone exclusivity has taken a once decent company, Cingular, and run it into the ground. "Software issue" my ***. :mad:

I used to loathe Verizon for screwing me over with regards to my bills. Three times I phoned to change my plan, three times they stated my account would be pro-rated, and three times they failed to do so. My bills for three months in a row were $400-$500, and they refused to adjust the issue. I left for Cingular in 2006 after years with Verizon. Cingular was great, they didn't cripple their phones by allowing full ObEx Bluetooth, etc. Then AT&T came along. So much for good customer service.

Sadly, I would switch to Verizon in a heartbeat should a compatible iPhone be released. AT&T can stick it.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
I'm a bit baffled at the 2% figure as well. Surely that's a lie. Maybe Laptop Connect users would amount to 2%. But every iPhone, blackberry and other smartphone user? No way.

Only the iphone4 is affected, not the 3g or 3gs since they dont have HSUPA. I dont know about blackberry but I dont think 2% sounds too ridiculous since its only in certain markets and older smartphones wont have HSUPA.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
once again proving, that AT&T is 2 years behind every other carrier in the entire world.

I use ChinaMobile and they ROCK compared to my service in the states w/ AT&T. Heck, I even had EDGE network service at Everest Base camp.

Once the iPhone goes to other carriers, I fear for the future of AT&T

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Only the iphone4 is affected, not the 3g or 3gs since they dont have HSUPA. I dont know about blackberry but I dont think 2% sounds too ridiculous since its only in certain markets and older smartphones wont have HSUPA.
And more to the point, for the problem to come about, one must be using an HSUPA device and transfer data through a part of the network that makes use of the relevant hardware. So while all HSUPA devices may demonstrate the end result of this bug, it will not impact everyone.

Kind of interesting to see the reaction to this, actually. I spent a few years working for CISCO. People have no idea how common stuff like this really is.

I used to defend and support AT&T but over the years their hubris with the iPhone exclusivity has taken a once decent company, Cingular, and run it into the ground. "Software issue" my ***. :mad:
Where did you find such a fine tinfoil hat?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.