Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There has been considerable discussion over the past couple of days regarding possibilities for front- and rear- facing cameras in the next-generation iPod touch, sparked by claims that the device will carry an iPhone 4-like 5-megapixel rear-facing camera. While the assertions have since been reported to be speculation rather than claimed facts, it hasn't stopped the rumor mill and leaks from winding up.

Yesterday, we noted that the iPhone 4's 5-megapixel camera would not fit within the body of the current iPod touch given the camera's 6.5 mm depth. And while a front-facing camera suitable for FaceTime video calling seems like a reasonable addition to the iPod touch, it remains to be seen whether Apple will be willing and able to squeeze a rear-facing camera into the device.

152853-165138-third_gen_touch_2a_500.jpg

Prototype of current-generation iPod touch carrying rear-facing camera
9 to 5 Mac is now reporting that a source has indicated that the next-generation iPod touch could gain a 3.2-megapixel rear-facing camera such as that found in the iPhone 3GS.
Well informed sources have notified us that the rumors of a 5 mega-pixel camera coming to this fall's iPod touch line may not have merit. They claim the new iPod touch will have a 3.2 megapixel camera that has similar characteristics to the one found in the iPhone 3GS.
But even that specific camera module would have difficulty fitting into the current iPod touch body, as iFixit's Kyle Wiens tells us that the iPhone 3GS camera's 5 mm depth is still too much for the iPod touch's tapered body. A "squaring off" of the body similar to that seen on the iPhone 4 would seem to leave sufficient room for the 3GS-like camera module if Apple decided to go with a uniform 8.5 mm thickness, the current maximum thickness of the iPod touch.

Another option for Apple, should it be looking to slim down the iPod touch even further, could be a new camera module carrying a thinner form factor, as technology has obviously advanced in year since the iPhone 3GS was released. It is unknown, however, whether Apple has acquired such thinner 3.2-megapixel camera modules. While several prototypes of the current-generation iPod touch surfaced carrying rear-facing cameras, we do not know the physical details and specs of that camera module that enabled it to fit within the existing iPod touch body design.

Article Link: iPhone 3GS-Like 3.2-Megapixel Rear Camera Possible for Next-Generation iPod Touch?

rcandre2

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
I don't see why they won't adopt the iPhone 4's style and add the 5MP camera. Seems logical to me IMO.

First post!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Well, that 3GS camera is a whole lot better than my old 3G... good enough for a fashion shoot after all:

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/07/fashion-photo-shoot-conducted-using-iphone-3gs/

If space and cost are two factors that might make Apple limit the Touch to just one camera, then using a 3GS camera for the second cam might be a reasonable compromise. (But maybe add a Flash?)

Really, though, I just hope they have FaceTime. That will be really cool as it snowballs. (I bet Apple keeps one non-camera model on the cheap end though.)

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
That thing needs a redesign bad anyone. it's hideous. scratched up metal body with a stupid black bean randomly stuck in the corner. so unapple like:mad:

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I don't see why they won't adopt the iPhone 4's style and add the 5MP camera. Seems logical to me IMO.

First post!

That would be my guess too. If they used the same body, I would think there'd be room for a larger hard drive and offer a 128gb iPod Touch.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
I have never understood why that prototype had a camera in the center.

Why not just put the camera in the exact same place that it is on the iPhone?

stadlin

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
I have never understood why that prototype had a camera in the center.

Why not just put the camera in the exact same place that it is on the iPhone?

because you have no proximity sensor in the iPod touch... it's better to have the lens at the center

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
Why assume that the camera won't fit into the current body? The touch is due for a form-factor refresh. Apple will redesign it to fit in whatever needs to fit in it.

Seems silly to use the 3GS camera. Why not capitalize on the volume used for the iPh4?

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Just give it the new iPhone body.. I don't see why that would be such a big deal, keeps things simple.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
Correct. The thickness increase would be 0.8mm (8.5mm for the current iPod touch to 9.3mm for the iPhone 4).

Not a big deal.

They could actually make it thinner then the iPhone 4. Remove the hardware necessary for the phone and "voila" Ipod touch.

voidptr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2007

For one, the retail price of an iPod Touch is more constrained than an iPhone.

Apple's really getting about $700 for that $299 iPhone you bought from AT&T, while the same size iPod Touch is actually $299. The retail price is the same, but the wholesale price is less than half for the Touch. There's bound to be some disparity between the two products to keep the iPod Touch BOM and retail price at those levels.

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
All Idle Speculation

I don't see any point to this "news" which is nothing more than anyone's guess. Why don't we just skip all this and wait for Steve to show us what they've come up with in September. I know I'm gonna buy the top of the line iPod Touch no matter what it is. Hoping for 128GB as the number one need.

Wish they'd let us order our White iPhone 4s meanwhile. Less than a week to the beginning of late July and still no option to order White. Bummer. :(

Biker

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
I don't see any point to this "news" which is nothing more than anyone's guess. Why don't we just skip all this and wait for Steve to show us what they've come up with in September. I know I'm gonna buy the top of the line iPod Touch no matter what it is. Hoping for 128GB as the number one need.

Wish they'd let us order our White iPhone 4s meanwhile. Less than a week to the beginning of late July and still no option to order White. Bummer. :(

This is Mac Rumors...

CalebF

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Boutvet Island
yer no one.

Let's get some MAC rumours on MR.

The MacBook Air is a forgotten dud, just like Apple TV is... only it has been relegated to "hobby" status officially.

They may revisit it, like seeing a broken-down relic (car) in the yeard that you circle a few times w/ a look of confusion on your face going: "Uh... can I make anything out of it or not?"

There's your Mac rumour.

CalebF

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Boutvet Island
Just give it the new iPhone body.. I don't see why that would be such a big deal, keeps things simple.

It would set it apart from previous Touch generations and make it seem advanced. It's a win-win. Also for manufacturing (same mold).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.