Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
For one, the retail price of an iPod Touch is more constrained than an iPhone.

Apple's really getting about $700 for that $299 iPhone you bought from AT&T, while the same size iPod Touch is actually $299. The retail price is the same, but the wholesale price is less than half for the Touch. There's bound to be some disparity between the two products to keep the iPod Touch BOM and retail price at those levels.

Yep, you do not see the true cost of an iPhone since the price is subsidized. Everything you put in the Touch will raise the cost and the Touch is very price sensitive.

Only my prediction (like everyone else) but the Touch will not have any rear facing camera and will not have an internal mic (you will use the earbud mic).

Voytech

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
I'm thinking that the iPod Touch will either:

- get thicker and include a rear camera (3gs or iP4 like)
- stay the same thickness and include a front facing camera
- gets split into two models, one with 3gs processor and ram and no cam and the other fully outfitted at a higher price

Just a guess.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
It would set it apart from previous Touch generations and make it seem advanced. It's a win-win. Also for manufacturing (same mold).

Agree, win-win. I also like the idea of simplifying things.. one design for all handheld mobile devices.

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
This is what i said in the other thread, the ipod touch is never going to be on par with the iphone.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
I doubt we are going to see a 128GB iPod Touch. I realize there are 64GB modules out there, but last I knew it wasn't cost affective to put two in a device. (Or one in the iPhone 4 for that matter)...but I could be wrong.

To my knowledge, the iPhone 4 has one spot holding a 32GB, where the 64GB iPod Touch has two spots, holding two 32GB chips...yes?

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Can it make a phone call?

iPhone with out data plan - > to look forward

make the iPod touch as a phone also; not everyone needs data plan or 3G (wi-fi will do)

unb3k4nn7

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
geez people whats up with the pessimistic views? :rolleyes:

I don't really get why but I think a lot of IP4 owners here would be very disappointed if the Ipod Touch 4g would be similar to the IP4.

Personally, I'm guessing Ipod Touch 4g will be very similar to IP4, Apple wants the Ipod Touch to be a gaming device, it will feature the retina display (what would be the point of runining the Ipod Touch for most of the games that will be made for the Iphone and thus ruining appsales? + ifixit said its only as much $ as last years Display so there is no point in not putting it in). Gyroscope is a no brainer because it will most likely be used in games. Camera is very likely cause they will try to conquer the Flip HD market + expanding the facetime user figures.
There is no way there's gonna be a 128gb version, its just way to expensive at the moment.

16gb (3g version) will be 199$, 32 and 64 will be the revised models at 299$ and 399$. A lot of people say it's unlikely that the 4g will have the same features as IP4 because IP4 gives apple ~700$ overall and Ipod Touch just the resale price. I think the Ipod Touch 4g will cost Apple around 150$(=180 (IP4 price) - 30$ (Phone stuff)). At 300$ their profit will still be 150$, even bigger for the 64gb model.

I don't really get why the thickness of the camera is a topic on every article, design change is long overdue for Ipod Touch. I would love to know what these sources of the article are, it sounds really vague..

apttap

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
It is very unlikely that the iPod touch will see the exact same improvements as the iphone 4.

***it will have FaceTime*** Steve said that they are going to ship 10 million facetime *devices*

Everything else is just speculation. If you want it to be the same exact thing as an iPhone...why not just buy an iPhone and not get any cell service? The unsubsidized price would be nearly the same.

This is retarded.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
geez people whats up with the pessimistic views? :rolleyes:

I don't really get why but I think a lot of IP4 owners here would be very disappointed if the Ipod Touch 4g would be similar to the IP4.

Personally, I'm guessing Ipod Touch 4g will be very similar to IP4, Apple wants the Ipod Touch to be a gaming device, it will feature the retina display (what would be the point of runining the Ipod Touch for most of the games that will be made for the Iphone and thus ruining appsales? + ifixit said its only as much $ as last years Display so there is no point in not putting it in). Gyroscope is a no brainer because it will most likely be used in games. Camera is very likely cause they will try to conquer the Flip HD market + expanding the facetime user figures.
There is no way there's gonna be a 128gb version, its just way to expensive at the moment.

16gb (3g version) will be 199$, 32 and 64 will be the revised models at 299$ and 399$. A lot of people say it's unlikely that the 4g will have the same features as IP4 because IP4 gives apple ~700$ overall and Ipod Touch just the resale price. I think the Ipod Touch 4g will cost Apple around 150$(=180 (IP4 price) - 30$ (Phone stuff)). At 300$ their profit will still be 150$, even bigger for the 64gb model.

I don't really get why the thickness of the camera is a topic on every article, design change is long overdue for Ipod Touch. I would love to know what these sources of the article are, it sounds really vague..

That should be iP4, iPod touch, 128GB and $299 unless you are from France.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I myself am waiting for a Newton rumour

You must have missed your Newton - the iPad.

But back to the topic, I just can't see Apple getting the iPod Touch too closely specced to the iPhone. The ongoing issues with the iPhone mean that many people would just opt for the cheaper Touch. I'd definitely get my 3G replaced. I don't have dropping calls, but I have a crap battery and a slow processor that is already slower than the mid-range Touch. I have a dedicated GPS in my car and it runs circles around the iPhone.

I've had high hopes about the new iPhone, but this is just too much. Who wants to base a lengthy commitment on a defective product?

NetScheduler

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
Southwest PA
Right

Um... there's an iPod Touch rumour. I don't know what you're talking about? :confused: There is no [what you said]; just an iPod Touch.

Gee, you're SOOOO Smart!!!!! Tell me something, why does calling it an iTouch bother you so much - or - do you just want to show your fellow fan-boys how smart you are...

For the record, I probably own more Apple products than most here and I call it the "iTouch", and my OS is "OS -EX"- ... I also listen to the Beatles "White Album" and John Lennon's "Primal Scream Album", and I thank God everyday that Apple engineers refused to call the "Apple Bicycle" by it's correct name (The name that the Lord God Steve Jobs wanted).

A large % of the public knows that the proper name is the iPod touch yet chooses to call it "iTouch". I'm sorry that you feel a need to display your superiority by correcting people. And, if as you say, you have no idea what he was talking about when he said "iTouch", then you indeed have more serious problems than your aforementioned quest for fan-boy approval.

CalebF

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Boutvet Island
Why you'll see it mirror the iPhone4.

Attachments

• 1_2_1.jpg
    1_2_1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 93

CalebF

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Boutvet Island
Gee, you're SOOOO Smart!!!!! Tell me something, why does calling it an iTouch bother you so much - or - do you just want to show your fellow fan-boys how smart you are...

For the record, I probably own more Apple products than most here and I call it the "iTouch", and my OS is "OS -EX"- ... I also listen to the Beatles "White Album" and John Lennon's "Primal Scream Album", and I thank God everyday that Apple engineers refused to call the "Apple Bicycle" by it's correct name (The name that the Lord God Steve Jobs wanted).

A large % of the public knows that the proper name is the iPod touch yet chooses to call it "iTouch". I'm sorry that you feel a need to display your superiority by correcting people. And, if as you say, you have no idea what he was talking about when he said "iTouch", then you indeed have more serious problems than your aforementioned quest for fan-boy approval.

I'm far, far from a fanboy (I was "calebx", "caleby", "calebz" and going through the start of the alphabet to my current cablef, banned for standing up to actual fanboys here and pointing out blatant and enraging double standards from certain long-term members here).

Now for the [blank] slang. Why doe it bother me? I guess only because I heard so many people say "stop calling it the [blank]! it's called the iPod Touch" that it now irks me -- for some reason -- when I see it called [blank].

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I'm far, far from a fanboy (I was "calebx", "caleby", "calebz" and going through the start of the alphabet to my current cablef, banned for standing up to actual fanboys here and pointing out blatant and enraging double standards from certain long-term members here).

Now for the [blank] slang. Why doe it bother me? I guess only because I heard so many people say "stop calling it the [blank]! it's called the iPod Touch" that it now irks me -- for some reason -- when I see it called [blank].

Umm, thanks for alerting us to that. You do realize that’s not only against the rules, but is even on the “Instantly Bannable Offenses” list, right?

Multiple registration. You may register only one account, and if you were banned or given a temporary forum time-out, you may not reregister. Reinstatement can come only from an administrator.

Back on the main topic, now, I think it’s fairly likely that we’ll see the 3.2MP or 5MP camera in the iPod touch, but I place no stock in these rumors themselves. It’s almost like someone’s just looking back at other rumors and saying, “Oh, that sounds good enough to reuse, maybe it’ll be right this time.”

jW

Jasperultrascan

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
I can't see why the 5Meg camera should be a problem. The main reason for this being that as the iPhone has been redesigned (away from the curved shape used onthe 3GS and current iPod Touch) why not a case refresh for the iPod touch as well? As apple are so brand centric it is unlikely that the iPod will keep the now dated (compared to the iPhone 4) looking case profile...

For the iPod touch to remain a realistic alternative to the iPhone it needs to offeral the same features including camera and GPS but without the phone element. Anything less and there simply isn't enough of a price differeance to merit its continued existance.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Yeah Im sure they will just change to the iPhone 4 Format and add the 5MPX. It makes sense and will save them in production costs to keep the package the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.