Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

I hate Microeconomics

I'm currently taking a summer course in Microeconomics, and I can't remember hating a class so badly at any other time in my life. I've been told it's how the teacher teaches it is what's really important, but I'm not sure. Our class grade average is 56%. I've been studying like crazy and get think I understand the topics, but come test grades, it turns out I only know about 70% of what I really though. It doesn't help the professor writes in accelerated english. Sometimes it's like trying to read a foreign language. I really need to pass this course though, so any help would be appreciated, whether it be websites, stories, posts, or whatever.

/rant over
Stridder44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:41 PM   #2
ethical
macrumors 68000

What specifically are you struggling with? I agree though, I didn't enjoy microeconomics, much preferred macro!

Last edited by ethical; Jul 11, 2010 at 06:07 PM.
ethical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Jay42
macrumors 65816

I have a degree in Economics and I can tell you that the early classes are difficult. It isn't until much later down to road that you can move on from all the assumptions you are forced to make and really develop new theory.

Given that, my advice would be not to "over-think" the questions on the exams - especially in intro micro courses. That is ultimately what messed me up....Follow the theory strictly and go with the conclusion it leads you to.

Hard to really offer up more advice than that with such a general post. I'd be happy to try and help if you had a more specific question. I will say there are some pretty good YouTube videos out there on the basics of Micro that walk you through the theory in a straightforward (IMHO) fashion. Sometimes looking at the problem from a slightly different angle makes all the difference.
Jay42 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Brien
macrumors 68000

I loved (micro) Econ. To each their own.
Brien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:54 PM   #5
dukebound85
macrumors P6

I personally thought micro was a relatively easy, yet interesting class. Took it as an elective outside my major
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:00 PM   #6
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethical View Post
What specifically are you struggling with? I agree though, I hated microeconomics, much preferred macro!
Even I'm not entirely sure. The concepts themselves seem easy enough, but then the book/professor goes into detail on whatever concept and suddenly everything I thought I understood is wrong in some way. Maybe I'm just over-thinking things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay42 View Post
I have a degree in Economics and I can tell you that the early classes are difficult. It isn't until much later down to road that you can move on from all the assumptions you are forced to make and really develop new theory.

Given that, my advice would be not to "over-think" the questions on the exams - especially in intro micro courses. That is ultimately what messed me up....Follow the theory strictly and go with the conclusion it leads you to.

Hard to really offer up more advice than that with such a general post. I'd be happy to try and help if you had a more specific question. I will say there are some pretty good YouTube videos out there on the basics of Micro that walk you through the theory in a straightforward (IMHO) fashion. Sometimes looking at the problem from a slightly different angle makes all the difference.
Thank you very much. It feels sometimes as though I'm making things more complex than they really are, but who knows. I think my greatest hurdle is that I'm more of a visual learner, and the book spends a majority of the time explaining the concepts. The graphs are helpful, but there's a limited amount of them (note: this is an online course; should have mentioned it in my original post).
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:10 PM   #7
miki66
macrumors 6502

i love economics both macro and micro. they're all very common sense.
advice...i'm sorry i guess if you really love something you'll be good at learning it; however i can suggest a book that i'm currently reading.

THE ECONOMIC NATURALIST by robert h. frank

you may probably heard about this book, too. it's an interesting yet learnable ourtside reading that can help you get to know basic econ concepts through everyday examples.

good luck on your class!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:20 PM   #8
wywern209
macrumors 65832

i hope my teacher next year is good cuz im taking AP Microeconomics. for those not in the states, AP level courses are courses that are taken in highs school and when u get to college, can exempt because you already took it. so it is a college level course.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Hate to bump an old thread, but just wanted to report back. Ended up getting a B in the class. So for any of you who don't think you can do it, you can. Because if I can, anyone can.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 02:18 PM   #10
Xavier
macrumors 68020

I enjoyed Econ. I found it to be fairly easy to grasp. But my Econ course focused on both micro and macro in probably fewer detail than your microecon class
Xavier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 02:44 PM   #11
maflynn

I hated both economics and statistics. I had the same professor for both and he was great but what was presented was awful. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about those classes anymore.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:56 PM   #12
bern1812
macrumors member

I didnt like micro when I had to take it simply because our professor loaded us up with busy online homework.

Most of micro is just finding the area of triangles, and subtracting those areas when you need to. On my first exam I drew really poor graphs that were too hard to read and resulted in me messing up the math. After that I took more care in making my graphs and my grade improved a lot.
bern1812 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:55 PM   #13
bld44
macrumors 6502

I liked Micro but not so much Macro. Professors were of about equal difficulty, so more so on the subjects.

I almost majored in economics, but I'm glad I didn't

Glad you pulled out a B.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:22 PM   #14
sauced
macrumors regular

I preferred macro to micro, but I think a lot of that had to do with my profs. My micro prof was pretty crazy.
sauced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:28 AM   #15
ctt1wbw
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ctt1wbw Send a message via MSN to ctt1wbw Send a message via Yahoo to ctt1wbw
Microeconomics is a bunch of pyscobabble nonsense. Fancy words that are made up to explain why people buy things. That was my general understanding of the class. Completely worthless crap.
ctt1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:11 PM   #16
Magie
macrumors newbie

Microeconomics...Need Help...

Hello Guys! Does anyone of You know how to do this task? I have no idea what I can write about this in 500 words
I will be so grateful if someone helps me.. please

Labour force and production function...

A company’s labour force is composed of three categories. Firstly, there are unskilled workers, described with the symbol L1, displaying low productivity, employed at packing and loading the baked pies. Then, the firm employs skilled workers, described with the symbol L2, displaying high productivity, employed and the actual making of the pies. Finally, the business is managed by skilled administrative personnel, described with the symbol L3, displaying moderate productivity, employed at all kinds of administrative tasks. Below you will find three possible, logarithmic formulae of the company’s production function. Choose the right one and write an argumentation of
500 – 700 words, to justify your choice..

a)ln(Y)=ln(K^a )+ln(L1^b1 )+ln(L2^b2 )+ln(L3^b3 )+ln(A) a>0;b2>b3>b1>0

b)ln(Y)=ln(K^a )+ln(L1^b1 )+ln(L2^b2 )+ln(L3^b3 )+ln(A) a>0;b3>b2>b1>0

c)ln(Y)=ln(K^a )+ln(L1^b1 )+ln(L2^b2 )+ln(L3^b3 )+ln(A) a>0;b1>b2>b3>0
Magie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:01 PM   #17
waloshin
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magie View Post
Hello Guys! Does anyone of You know how to do this task? I have no idea what I can write about this in 500 words

A company’s labour force is composed of three categories. Firstly, there are unskilled workers, described with the symbol L1, displaying low productivity, employed at packing and loading the baked pies. Then, the firm employs skilled workers, described with the symbol L2, displaying high productivity, employed and the actual making of the pies. Finally, the business is managed by skilled administrative personnel, described with the symbol L3, displaying moderate productivity, employed at all kinds of administrative tasks. Below you will find three possible, logarithmic formulae of the company’s production function. Choose the right one and write an argumentation of

Not that hard. Look through your textbook. Search youtube for the function you are trying to learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj9ZHvciAwc

And if you keep saying to yourself that you hate it you wont even try.
waloshin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:25 PM   #18
wvuwhat
macrumors 65816

Had a little bit of a hard time grasping what was being taught in my Econ 101 class my Freshman year, ended up with a D. But, found it fascinating so kept taking classes in Econ as electives and looking back on college, really wish I had majored in it.

Who had that slogan: "Once You Get It, You Get It?"
wvuwhat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:41 PM   #19
Frisco
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Any illiterate person can also easily this question! Just kidding....it's all Greek to me.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:25 AM   #20
RSL
macrumors regular

Quote:

The point is that L1 has low productivity, L3 has medium, L2 has high. So I'm guessing it must be a), but I've never taken micro
RSL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion