Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blaenk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
A user claims to have gotten a 'different' iPhone 4 as a replacement. The notable differences include:

- a visible proximity sensor (I can't see it on mine, no matter the angle. not to say it's not there, just not apparent)
- different shade of black on the front bezel
- a more 'matte' look/finish to the antenna side-band, which could indicate coating of some sort

The user claims to not have encountered any further issues with this phone, which could indicate that it is a revised modification of the phone.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5586256/

EDIT: Some people who have just recently gotten their iPhone 4's (as replacements or otherwise) are reporting different serial numbers from the usual. Perhaps these are further indications as to a new, possibly fixed revision of the phone?

ducktales

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
A user claims to have gotten a 'different' iPhone 4 as a replacement. The notable differences include:

- a visible proximity sensor (I can't see it on mine, no matter the angle. not to say it's not there, just not apparent)
- different shade of black on the front bezel
- a more 'matte' look/finish to the antenna side-band, which could indicate coating of some sort

The user claims to not have encountered any further issues with this phone, which could indicate that it is a revised modification of the phone.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5586256/

EDIT: Some people who have just recently gotten their iPhone 4's (as replacements or otherwise) are reporting different serial numbers from the usual. Perhaps these are further indications as to a new, possibly fixed revision of the phone?

i could see my proximity sensor and i have the phone from the 1st batch, just sayin

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Oh, Snap!

Interesting as at least one other poster around here said they just got a phone from week 28 and it felt different on the side band than the older phones.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Well, I got my iPhone 4 on launch day, and my brother just got his iPhone 4 from the most recent batch. When he gets home and activates it on Wednesday, I'll make sure to do some comparisons. However, I think that this instance is just more of an issue of production between different factories and such. Apple is great at making sure products stick to a very strict look, but with 2 million + phones, it has to be impossible for every single one to be the exact same shade of black and all the metal to have the exact same finish.

Blaenk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
i could see my proximity sensor and i have the phone from the 1st batch, just sayin

Hmmm, weird. I honestly cannot see it on mine, no matter what angle or how close I am to the phone, regardless of lighting. On my 3GS I could see it, but not on the 4. I also specifically remember seeing the pictures of the white and black models on Apple's website, and on the white ones, the proximity sensor was really apparent, whereas on the black ones, you couldn't see it. Granted, they were just pictures and perhaps the camera was unable to pick up on it, but ever since I received my iPhone 4 (one day before launch day), I haven't been able to see my proximity sensor.

I haven't run into any proximity sensor issues, but perhaps, they didn't completely cover the proximity sensor in this 'possible new revision' to avoid any possibility of encountering any form of proximity sensor issues. Just a thought.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Well, after some thought, I'm not sure if I buy it. If the proximity sensor was a design defect we'd all have the problem. Mine works absolutely fine. Also, many folks have reported doing a reset fixes their prox-sens problem. If the problem was simply bad manufacturing, why change the design?

The antenna is still interesting though.

ReflexReact

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
Interesting, however when things seem too good to be true, then they usually are...

... that said, i've got my fingers crossed...

Fidget08

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
I'm so happy that no one has given the typical "wow gizmodo get out of here apple hater" yet. That drives me nuts. So is the front actually lighter?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I can see my proximity sensor and I got mine the day after launch. It's right above the earpiece and if I tilt the phone looking from the charging port up, I can see it.

db2431

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Just got mine delivered today, was shipped from factory on the 7th and still drops bars with the death grip.

frikfrak

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
Look at the 2nd photo in the giz article. The antenna notch next to the earphone jack is missing.

thatsmyaibo

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2007
Only 1 reader sent it in. They replaced theirs the same day and received a phone with the same problems.

Don't think much of it.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I can see the proximity sensor on mine, and I got mine on launch (well the day before launch actually).

My dad has a July 2nd batch, and the metal band defintiely has a different texture than my phone's. However, it still has the signal detuning issue.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
i tried out a week 28 iphone 4 today. same signal issue as with my week 25. the notch is there, it's just the angle at which the photo was taken.

/you'reholdingitwrong

hzeat

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2009
Dallas
i received mine a day before the official launch... just looked for the proximity sensor and that took a bit of angling and such...very dark up top there. additionally i've never had any sensor issues or reception issues, nor has a coworker, here in Dallas.

BeerNap

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Article states, "The diagnostic showed that the OS was corrupt and certain utilities were failing."

Someone want to explain this to me? I could see disk i/o issues, or memory problems... but a corrupt OS? Why not just re-install the OS so it wouldn't be... corrupt.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I used to be able to see the sensor in direct sunlight on the 3g & 2g phones.

I don't see mine at all. I wonder if the black coating was too thick?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.