Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
I've had the iPhone 4 since launch day, and I can tell you that the antenna issue is nothing similar to other phones. I've gone through blackberries, 3 iPhones, and a few crappy flip phones, none of which dropped 2-3 bars while holding normally. It would be one thing if the bars were dropping, and 3G speeds didn't noticeably slow down, but that's not the case. I can begin loading a page in safari while the phone is sitting on a table, and almost immediately when I pick it up with my hands the page stops loading. It's ridiculous. And yes, I have a bumper on too! I was thinking that I might switch back to my 3GS, but the screen looks like something from the dark ages now that I've used the 4 for about a month. The samsung captivate looks pretty nice, but I'm pretty intimidated by android. I think that throwing away all the money I've spent on apps for the iPhone is not a very smart thing to do. So pretty much I'm stuck. Everything about the new iPhone is awesome, so it's a shame that the antenna has to ruin it (for me at least). Camera is great, screen unmatched, and face time is really cool! Is anybody in the same position as me? If so, what are you going to do? I'm not really sure what the best thing is at this point.

michaelz

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
LA
Return it!!!

Mjmar said:
I've had the iPhone 4 since launch day, and I can tell you that the antenna issue is nothing similar to other phones. I've gone through blackberries, 3 iPhones, and a few crappy flip phones, none of which dropped 2-3 bars while holding normally. It would be one thing if the bars were dropping, and 3G speeds didn't noticeably slow down, but that's not the case. I can begin loading a page in safari while the phone is sitting on a table, and almost immediately when I pick it up with my hands the page stops loading. It's ridiculous. And yes, I have a bumper on too! I was thinking that I might switch back to my 3GS, but the screen looks like something from the dark ages now that I've used the 4 for about a month. The samsung captivate looks pretty nice, but I'm pretty intimidated by android. I think that throwing away all the money I've spent on apps for the iPhone is not a very smart thing to do. So pretty much I'm stuck. Everything about the new iPhone is awesome, so it's a shame that the antenna has to ruin it (for me at least). Camera is great, screen unmatched, and face time is really cool! Is anybody in the same position as me? If so, what are you going to do? I'm not really sure what the best thing is at this point.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Steve is correct, all phones have antenna issues when you hold them, but none as dramatic as the iphone 4. Can't blame him for trying to pass it off as a normal occurrence, typical apple arrogance. My junk Xenon drops from 4 to 3 bars at home if i completely surround it with my hands. My friend's iPhone drops from 4 to 1.

So you just have to ask yourself, does the iPhone 4 have enough other features that make up for the fact that the antenna is ****? I dont think there is one universal answer for that. Look at your usage and decide, then either take the phone back or deal with it.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
What should I do after I return it, that was my question. I didn't mean to come across as whining.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Not wanting to sound trite, but.....

Return it. Buy a different kind of phone. Enjoy life more as you remove personal irritants from your day to day.

Most of the Androids aren't bad phones. The original Droid is pretty nice, although you will feel as if you are running an "also ran" device. Its not the iPhone it tries to be. My wife enjoys hers and the deep(er) integration with Google Apps is kinda nice. You can accomplish almost all the same tasks with an Android you can with an iPhone. You just won't be having as much fun doing them. You'll miss the selection of apps from the iTunes store....the Android marketplace is filled with mediocre games and such (at least IMHO) and reminds me more of shareware on Windows than the iTunes store. You'll also miss the complete backup and iTunes synchronization with your books/apps/music/updates.

But if you can live with losing all of those things, and if the irritation of the signal issue is that extreme for you (it hasn't impacted me at all), then move on and enjoy life more.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This guy is a troll. Anyone who says they have the antenna issue WITH a bumper on is plain lying as far as I'm concerned.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
just try to live with it then. i know that sounds easy for me to say but to be honest. if its bothering you that much id advise you sell it and rebuy one thats not a refurb.

its obviously a faulty batch or two because how can mine and lots of others not have a hint of the antenna issue? i cannot drop bars even if i try my best holding it with two hands. apple have fixed it, they just dont want to admit theres a few batch's worth that are no good.

finatk

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
"If you don't like it, Don't buy it. If you bought it and you don't like it take it back"

Best advice to come out of this whole debacle!

There are dozens of other smartphones for you to go for so take your pick.

openendstraight

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
La Vegas
Would you question returning any other product if it did not meet your expectations? If not then why even ask. SJ said if your not happy then return it. He is right the iPhone is not for everyone.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it return it

BrewsterMccloud

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2005
Same experience as the OP but returned it before I got too addicted to the other new features, now back to my original iPhone. Agree about the apps etc plus I use MobileMe to sync contacts and calendars so don't want an Android phone. My local ATT store tells me they have plenty of 3GS in stock including 32gig so I may do that but that would lock me in to another 2 years before upgrading and suppose Apple really does correct the ip4 antenna issue before then... Right now I'm just staying with my original naked iPhone that actually makes and receives calls while I am holding it in my hand.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I don't know if anyone has said this yet but I would RETURN IT! :cool:

Woohoo I love being fashionable late to a party!:D

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
First, I would try swapping for another iPhone 4, because it shouldn't lose all signal, even with a case or bumper. If the replacement still doesn't work, get a 3GS. You'd only be giving up the display and camera, but you can keep the apps and syncing.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Damn skippy the Apple :apple: Cool Aid / Heroin runs deep within the users veins. ;)

Actually it's the last line of the song...

At the OP, try another iPhone 4. If that doesn't help:

♫If You Don't Want an iPhone 4! Don't Buy It!
If You Bought it and You Don't Like It! Bring it back!♫

Sorry, I couldn't resist but that really is the answer. My iPhone 4 makes and receives calls in places where I could not even get a signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.