Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Gameaholic
macrumors member

What is this green dot I'm hearing about

Well, just when I thought iPhone 4 had an awesome camera, I heard that when you take pictures, there is a green dot somewhere? Is it affecting a majority of iPhone 4 users? Is it a major problem? Didn't really find anything about this issue yet.
Gameaholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Block
macrumors 6502a

Take a picture against a white wall or a white piece of printer paper, and you will see a green spot if you have the issue. It's basically an issue with the camera and certain types of lighting--- whether this is an actual problem or something that all cameras have to deal with is up for debate.
Block is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:32 PM   #3
iPhone1
macrumors Demi-God

Mine has it. Looks like a glob of green in the middle of a white wall. Kinda looks like it is related to the coating they put on the lens glass. Hmm...

Goes away on non-all white photos. Mine is a launch day iPhone 4.
iPhone1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:39 PM   #4
livingonvideo13
macrumors regular

It happens when taking a picture/video under florescent lighting.

livingonvideo13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:40 PM   #5
iPhone1
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingonvideo13 View Post
It happens when taking a picture/video under florescent lighting.

Probably an Auto White Balance issue. Wish there was a manual mode for the camera.
iPhone1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:23 PM   #6
livingonvideo13
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone1 View Post
Probably an Auto White Balance issue. Wish there was a manual mode for the camera.
I don't think it is a White Balance issue. White Balance issues affect the entire color of the a shot where the iPhone 4 (and many other smartphones do the same thing) have a green dot in the middle.
livingonvideo13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Gameaholic
macrumors member

Thx for the picture. Holy ---- that is a giant green dot! Does this green dot only appear in white walls or occasionally in other photos as well?
Gameaholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Block
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameaholic View Post
Thx for the picture. Holy ---- that is a giant green dot! Does this green dot only appear in white walls or occasionally in other photos as well?
It affects most indoor photos where the majority of the colors are light/clear/white. Outdoors it's fine.
Block is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:44 PM   #9
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

It will appear on most shots under fluorescent lighting. It will show up when the flickering of the lights is faster than the shutter speed of the camera. It makes the lighting and white balance uneven. The electronic shutter on the iPhone is what makes the blob. The only fix is to change the lighting so that the flickering flouescent light has less effect.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:00 PM   #10
malevolant
macrumors regular

I have this issue as well. Is this something that I can go to an Apple store and get a replacement? It would be a great excuse to get a new phone in hopes of fixing my antenna issue as well.

The green dot sucks. I frequently take pictures of items on a white background and this green splotch is starting to piss me off
malevolant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:01 PM   #11
tianh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by malevolant View Post
I have this issue as well. Is this something that I can go to an Apple store and get a replacement? It would be a great excuse to get a new phone in hopes of fixing my antenna issue as well.

The green dot sucks. I frequently take pictures of items on a white background and this green splotch is starting to piss me off
this.
tianh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone