Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulMarkZA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
I recently decided to to swop out the optical drive on my 27" iMac and replace it with an SSD following iFixits guide. I managed to do it and was very happy with the results. It all went wrong though when I decided to temporarily reinstall the optical drive as I was having trouble installing Windows from an external drive. Instead of disconnecting the display data cable I left it attached. Unfortunately I was a bit too careless and I lifted the display up too far and heard the sickening sounds of something breaking. I had partly pulled the data display connector away from the logic board breaking the connection. I felt sick to my stomach as I knew this was potentially a VERY expensive mistake.

Unfortunately I'm in South Africa and the quality of repairs available leaves much to be desired. I've taken it to 3 separate repairmen who repaired the connection between the display and the logic board but so far none have been able to bring the display back to life. All have said that I need to replace the logic board. As its such a new computer the replacement quote is more than I paid for the entire iMac originally!

However I'm not convinced that a replacement logic board is not necessary. I am currently using the iMac connected up to an external display and it works perfectly. If the logic board was irrepairably damaged surely the output to an external display wouldnt work either? Which makes me think that it must still be the connection between the display and logic board which is damaged. Am I correct in my assumptions or is my only option to replace the logic board?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The connector on the logic board is probably broken, and "to make things whole" once again, YES, you probably DO need a new logic board.

Suggestion:
On the _next_ iMac, leave the innards alone.
Especially in South Africa.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
What a horror story. Logic board replacements always cost a fortune to the point where it nearly always make more sense to buy a new machine. I feel terrible for you. I would be beyond distraught if i made the same mistake as you having recently made the purchase.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
To fix the connector, you will need a new logic board. THe reason that the external display works is because you did not damage the external video output, you just destroyed the internal display connector.

SiMBa37

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
New York
sell your damaged mac on ebay for $200-$400, someone may probably try to buy it and tinker. Save up some more money, get a refurb, and don't let a screwdriver near that thing again.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Given that everything else works including external monitor, you probably can get a lot more than $400. Someone could potentially buy it for the HD and the screen itself which they can use to fix a cracked one.

But yeah, I agree, you should sell and get a refurb or something. Or you can put it under or behind your desk and use it as a regular desktop (if you don't have the money to do much else).

Next time, if it's not user serviceable and you're not an experienced and certified tech, STAY AWAY. :D

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Take it apart completely, sell it in parts, if the actually display is working ok itself, you could easily fetch a lot of money for that.

Hard Drive? Take it and put it in an external enclosure as a backup.

Casing can also be sold.

People buy broken logic boards.

Then go buy a brand new one, getting it repaired would be wasted money.

andre.rocha

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
I dont think people should stay away from opening their computer, reason i like pc's so much is because i can always upgrade the insides.

PaulMarkZA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Thanks for the feedback so far and the critisism (which I accept). For the last few months I have been using my iMac with an external monitor which has been a successful (while not ideal) workaround.

I am considering buying a new Mac and I was wondering there was anyway I would be able to use my damaged iMac as a monitor?

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
just so i know.... are all the connectors (internal and external) processor gpu on the logic board?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
ooooooooh :( really feel sorry for you

and for using the "broken iMac as a monitor "
tricky but not impossible, the only thing you would need to do(what i would do)
is sell every internal bit thats is functioning ( lcd panel , psu, cpu,fans ... , brings all good money and leaves you with a empty shell
and then just shoehorn a monitor inside (does not need to be a 27 inch display)
a bit smaller does not matter, if you make a frame out of black thin cardboard and stick it inside the glass nobody will see that it should not be that way , you get a nice monitor and good money for the working internal bits to put towards the new iMac

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
thats a stupid idea to get a nice high resolution bright panel to put inside the case will cost loads and then you have to hack it into the case!

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Have you tried calling Apple and playing dumb? Maybe you can ship it to Apple for repairs. Unless, they can physically tell the logic board was cracked or something they may replace it under warranty. I would definitely try that before selling/scrapping or buying a new one.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Suggestion:
On the _next_ iMac, leave the innards alone.
Especially in South Africa.

THIS^^^

It's not meant to be opened up. Doing so is like performing surgery on yourself...you just shouldn't be messing around in there. If you don't like the iMac the way it is, buy a Dell or risk the consequences.

Sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.