Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's massive 1 billion dollar North Carolina data center has been the subject of much speculation since it was first announced in June 2009. The new data center was detailed as occupying 500,000 square feet and roughly five times the size of the company's existing center in Newark, California.

Here is aerial footage of the data center from February, 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDXSSi1qStA

During today's financial conference call, Apple revealed that the data center will be complete by the end of the year and they will begin using it then. Due to the massive size of the new data center, many have speculated that it will represent Apple's push into cloud computing. iTunes streaming as well as wireless iPad/iPhone syncing have been listed amongst the possibilities.

Article Link: Apple's Massive North Carolina Data Center Ready By End of Year

PerfSeeker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Yes, another way for Apple to soak their iTunes customer base for content. This time it will be streaming TV/movies at a premium iPrice.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
...as well as wireless iPad/iPhone syncing have been listed amongst the possibilities.

How is a sever farm in North Carolina going to enable my iPhone to wirelessly sync to iTunes with my computer?

Mrbill317

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Jobs

Where does Apple usually post these types of jobs? I am a ACSA among others and would love to work there heh.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
New servers to handle the load for when the iPhone 5 pre-orders start :D

I'm standing by to preorder my iPhone 5 :)

I'd really like a streaming iTunes service for music because I could create endless playlists and sync them with all my devices without having to worry about needing more storage space.

je_wallace

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2004
Budapest, Hungary
NC seems like a hot (temperature wise) place to have a data center. Cooling is a major cost factor in data centers. Would have been interesting if Apple had picked Maine, Quebec or Iceland to house a datacenter, all have first class data connections and low average climate temperatures.

tom5304

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
After the frustrations of the broken and craptastic MobileMe, Google has already won my "cloud" computing loyalty.

Does anyone really believe Apple will offer any cloud services without a premium price to pay?

And after looking at the molasses-like pace of MobileMe improvement over the past few years, I just don't see Apple catching up to Google's excellent services.

I was willing to pay a premium for my Aluminum iMac with the beautiful OSX, and I've paid a premium for the excellent iPod Classic, but I won't pay a premium for something Google already does so well at no cost to me.

*** And no, I don't care that Google is data mining my web surfing habits, because Apple does too, and besides, everything you say on a phone or type into your computer online is logged in an NSA database anyway. At this point, Google is the least of my worries.

tom5304

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
NC seems like a hot (temperature wise) place to have a data center. Cooling is a major cost factor in data centers. Would have been interesting if Apple had picked Maine, Quebec or Iceland to house a datacenter, all have first class data connections and low average climate temperatures.

Excellent points! This is just basic physical common sense.

Milfin

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
no free .me accounts for anyone. I enjoy creating usernames without the worry of someone taking them. milfin1 milfin63 milfin323423 that would be the result if .me was free.

so to everyone that wants a hand out... work for it. This is America!!!!
LMAOOO

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Way too big for a data center alone, especially when you look at the 13 dock doors. Why do they need these? Not a data center (only)?

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota

The servers could all be below ground level and thus take advantage of ground temps. You could run geothermal in the walls and floor relatively inexpensively, which would reduce the AC demand. Would be nice to get an online tour when it's finished.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Yes, another way for Apple to soak their iTunes customer base for content. This time it will be streaming TV/movies at a premium iPrice.

Your are only going to get soaked if you buy the products they sell in excess over what you can afford. In short, don't want to get soaked, don't buy. FWIW I think iTunes prices have been very reasonable.

The average temp in the summer is 78 degrees in Maiden, NC. Not exactly scorching hot.

Excellent points! This is just basic physical common sense.

We landed on the moon for goodness sakes, I think Apple can hire a company to design a building that can keep a server farm cool. It's not like they have not been built in much hotter climates.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA

Huge tax breaks and cheap power. One of the main reasons many companies choose Texas for data center is cheap power. Thats why most of Rackspaces data centers are down there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.