Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmittS

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Its nice to see that Apple has an East Coast (US) facility. I'm not sure if Apple still has employees in Austin and Colorado (where they used to manufacturer Mac's in the US).

I'm still surprised over the choice to use Maiden, NC. This is due to what seems to be a fact of their not being any universities or otherwise large pool of high tech workers in this local.

By contrast, the Research Triangle Park (RTP), a 7,000 acre science park located outside Raleigh-Durham-Cary area is home to many high-tech companies including Cisco, Motorola, Ericson, Sony, IBM, etc.

Therefore, I would suggest that this may more of a "call center" where customer service will be taken care of. That is, until I learn more about this facility.
No. This is a massive data center. The biggest I've been in.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Ah okay, so that's how it works.

I even had to read "The Great Gatsby" for my CEGEP English courses, even though my whole education was in French. Something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy...

It's then that my friends asked me : "Why didn't you cheat on the English entrance exam to get into the lower level, easier courses instead of the advanced litterature ones ?". To which I replied "doh!".

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
NC seems like a hot (temperature wise) place to have a data center. Cooling is a major cost factor in data centers. Would have been interesting if Apple had picked Maine, Quebec or Iceland to house a datacenter, all have first class data connections and low average climate temperatures.

As others have pointed out, Maine doesn't have the connections. Quebec probably didn't offer the tax breaks - plus I'm guessing Quebec's wages are higher than NC.

And Iceland has those nasty volcanoes that put ash into the air, shake up the ground (can you imagine an entire data centre's HD's parking their heads simultaneously due to a tremor?? :eek:).

I think the other reason Quebec didn't get the nod is because data crossing international borders is monitored (by Homeland Security) more easily than purely domestic traffic. In other words, putting the DC in QC would have allowed DHS and the RCMP and CSIS to listen to everything. Now it's only the 'ferriners' whose traffic will be monitored. Legally. Well, openly. OK, admitted to - at least. I think. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.