Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
California
Forwarding Email I got from Apple:

Dear Rob (Rob A.),

Apple removed your post on Apple Discussions titled "Facts on iPhone 4 reception" because it contained the following:

Off-topic or non-technical posts
Polls or Petitions

We are including a copy of your post at the end of this email for your reference.

Our terms of use, which include helpful information about using Apple Discussions, is located here: http://discussions.apple.com/help.jspa We encourage you to continue using the Apple Discussions while abiding by our terms of use.

If you would like to send feedback to Apple about a product, please use the appropriate selection here: http://www.apple.com/feedback
As part of submitting feedback, please read the Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy linked to the feedback page.

Kind regards,
Apple Discussions staff

----------

A copy of your message for reference:

I don't want this to digress to a name calling match so please stay on course with the questions below.

The goal of this post is to gain information from which solutions may result. Questions are geared specifically to see if the antenna issue is real and/or if it is significant.

I have only tested the iPhone 4 for 2 days (pretty extensively over a 50 mile radius from remote spots to hot spots) and comparing it to my 3G. I did NOT test the iPhone 4 with the now "Free" rubber case.

If you could fill out your results to the following questions, it would give everyone a good idea of the reality OR NOT of the antenna issue.

1. Number of phones and models you have or have used enough to test (doesn't have to be Apple).
2. Whether you have a case or not, if cased then provide brand/model of case.
3. Same location (specify approximate location and time of day) timing of how long it takes the same web page to appear with the phone not being held vs. being held. (suggest repeat test 3 times per device per web page to get an average) -- be sure to specify 3G, Edge, or wireless.
4. Number of drop calls per day and activity during the drop call (i.e. sitting in chair, walking, etc.)

I'll start with my informal data:

1. Two phones
a. Apple iPhone 3G
b. Apple iPhone 4

2. Case
a. No case
b. No case

3. Web Page
a. Home (Concord CA), top level house, 1pm ish PT, AT&T 3G, http://www.apple.com, Handheld 32 seconds avg, Desk 20 seconds avg
b. Home (Concord CA), top level house, 1pm ish PT, AT&T 3G, http://www.apple.com, Handheld 45 seconds avg, Desk 17 seconds avg

4. Dropped Calls
a. 3 per day avg handheld (7 day sample over SF/Bay Area)
b. 8 per day avg handheld (2 day sample over SF/Bay Area)

Lets just get the data and leave people alone to make their OWN conclusions. It could provide useful information on whether or not a case makes a difference or even specific case brands are better than others ... or not. This needs to be real data, please don't post bogus results to skew the data one way or the other (it's easy to see Apple employees vs. your average consumer).

This is obviously informal and web server loads and traffic peaks will affect results so please try to do your testing in a consistant manner with at least 3 test runs.

P.S. - in item #3 be sure to clear your cache before each test run (Settings | Safari | Clear Cache).

Thanks, Rob

++++++++++

This message is sent from a send-only email account. Any replies sent to this address are deleted automatically by the system.

Apple seem a little more paranoid than normal these days. I really just wanted to see if the rubber case that is now given out free is effective at dealing with the Antenna issue or if perhaps other cases are better or for that matter if there really is an issue that can be quantified.

Worries me when a company doesn't want quantified information.

Rob

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Seems like a poll or petition, in direct violation of their posting guidelines.

Should I start a thread on the Apple forums every time MacRumors warns me about consecutive posting?

robains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
California
So what do you suggest for gathering information about the effectiveness of the cases, if there is indeed a problem, or what cases are better than others?

I wanted quantified results not the usual "It's great, It sucks" type of responses. How can I get that information without it being "flagged" as a Poll -- I mean pretty much any question could be deemed a "poll".

Rob

ddavid

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
So what do you suggest for gathering information about the effectiveness of the cases, if there is indeed a problem, or what cases are better than others?

I wanted quantified results not the usual "It's great, It sucks" type of responses. How can I get that information without it being "flagged" as a Poll -- I mean pretty much any question could be deemed a "poll".

Rob

Well, a savvy pollster would do it in a conversational way and compile the results, asking follow-up questions as necessary. Don't make your poll look like a poll to keep from violating the terms of service.

robains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
California
So you break forum rules and you're upset that they deleted your thread? Seems a bit odd but ok.

Would not use the word "upset" - a bit strong. Not the first time Apple have deleted a post of mine and/or others - pretty common occurance. What striked me as odd was they seem a little more paranoid than normal with the "antenna" issue.

robains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
California
Well, a savvy pollster would do it in a conversational way and compile the results, asking follow-up questions as necessary. Don't make your poll look like a poll to keep from violating the terms of service.

I see, that might work ... would mean I'd need to ask the same followup questions to each and everyone that responds in order to get the same effective results. Worky, but doable.

Although, I guess Apple would eventually figure it out and use any number of "violation of terms" arguements -- the terms are so open ended they can justify just about any deletion.

I'm sure China would welcome Apple ... maybe even learn a few tricks ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple's forum and you have to play by apple's rules. If not the posts/threads get deleted. I don't know why people come to other forums to complain about it, when their usage agreement explicit on what type of content is allowed there.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Thou shall not ...

JOBSO.jpg

robains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
California
Apple's forum and you have to play by apple's rules. If not the posts/threads get deleted. I don't know why people come to other forums to complain about it, when their usage agreement explicit on what type of content is allowed there.

Asking a question could be deemed as a poll. Apple's policy is not explict ... it is VERY open ended and most likely that is intentional -- more freedom to delete whatever they want.

Apparently getting this type of information is going to be difficult, unfortunate -- I'll try some re-wording and see if that works - any and all suggestions on how to word this (without violating Apple's terms) would be most appreciated.

My readings so far isn't turning up much -- just the usual "it sucks, or it's great". In the past, data that's been hard to find often has a reason associated with it why it's hard to find.

I've googled a lot of "reports of fixes", but NONE of them provide any real data results to back up their claims. Obviously we can't trust signal strength bars either since they are manipulated by software and could read whatever Apple wants it to read.

Going by Apple's information alone is certainly not consumer prudent ... I like to try and get as close to reality as possible -- looking at claims from all sides (Apples, consumers, consumer reports, media, etc.).

Rob.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I sure hope we aren't all pretending Apple deleted those posts to protect the sanctity of the user experience . . . .

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
Not to be rude. But what exactly is the point of your original post. Apple has put this issue to bed. They are not going to do anything else. They have basically offered customers a free bumper/case to help alleviate the problem or a complete refund. It really doesn't matter at this point what new information is collected, because in Apple's eyes the issue has been put to bed.

101AirAssault

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Bigger question is why do you care? Why would any one case be better than another? Get a case you like and move on with your life.

It was a big enough deal to you that you felt the need to make a thread on another forum talking about the "deleted thread" so yeah, I would say you're upset about it.

pharmx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009

Rob

I'm not sure if you're being serious, or if you truly don't understand the difference between conducting a poll and asking a few questions as part of a discussion. To then claim that Apple is being paranoid for deleting a post that clearly violates the ToS for the site is just plain silly. In fact, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked/deleted yet, lol.

But if you truly were looking for "quantified results" and not just trying to stir the pot...you could try using the same methodology in a site that allows polling options, such as this one. However, if you do a quick search, I think you'll find that there are several threads already asking the same or similar questions.....so start mining that data! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.