Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

093551-free_iphone_bumper.jpg

Image from cleggster83
In what is not a terribly big surprise considering that they started shipping at the beginning of the week, free iPhone 4 bumpers have begun arriving into the hands of customers. As with the first wave of shipping notices, the arrivals appear to be limited to the UK for the time being, although customers in other countries who have received shipping notices can expect theirs to quickly follow.

Recipients report that the bumpers come in the standard Apple packaging for the product. And while customers who ordered bumpers are beginning to see theirs arrive, those who opted for third-party cases through the free case program have still seen no sign of movement on their orders, with shipping estimates pushing out well beyond a month for many customers. Those customers should keep their eyes peeled, however, as orders for Apple bumpers similarly showed lengthy initial shipping estimates before suddenly beginning to ship earlier this week.

Article Link: Free iPhone 4 Bumpers Begin Arriving

goffski

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
UK
Yep - mine arrived this morning. Ordered Friday with expected delivery end Aug, email Sunday telling me it had been shipped. :D

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
How is this a rumor? :p

And now we can handle dropped calls... let's see how it handles dropped iPhones. Err. Not!

kupua

macrumors member
May 19, 2005
Bumper-Where are the Color One's?

Its good news that they're shipping, since they've removed all the product from the stores.

But they did have color ones... Remember? So where did those vaporize to? :rolleyes:

Only black available via the app

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Grrr

I received an order acknowledgement email, indicating a ship date of August 30, Delivers by September 2nd. That's redik. :eek:

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
How is this a rumor? :p

I ordered mine an hour after the app came out (UK), got confirmation email at 5:20pm on the Friday of delivery from 27th August but nothing since - many others who ordered later now have theirs. So for me it's just a rumor, I don't think they really exist! :D

stahl7639

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Its good news that they're shipping, since they've removed all the product from the stores.

But they did have color ones... Remember? So where did those vaporize to? :rolleyes:

Only black available via the app

pulled from stores, melted into liquid form, dyed black, and formed into a black bumper to meet demand for 3,000,000+ customers...

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
I cant believe they got rid of the other colors! I want a white bumper! I will pay for it! But I can't, and now they are going for $50+ on ebay.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I cant believe they got rid of the other colors! I want a white bumper! I will pay for it! But I can't, and now they are going for $50+ on ebay.

They'll come back. They've just dedicated the entire production line to the single color to meet demand.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
And, let's face it, Apple still plans to sell bumpers after this "free" giveaway. So they've limited the giveaway to black (and are holding the other colors/pulled stock aside) so that, for the many people who still want a different color bumper, Apple can still charge for them when the "free" bumpers have been distributed. "Black bumpers were free - you want white, green, pink, whatever? Those can be found in our store for $29.99 soon."

ChriswilliamsUk

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Uk
I ordered mine an hour after the app came out (UK), got confirmation email at 5:20pm on the Friday of delivery from 27th August but nothing since - many others who ordered later now have theirs. So for me it's just a rumor, I don't think they really exist! :D

see i ordered mine at around the same time on friday, got a confirmation email thought nothing of the time frame, thinking it will turn up when it turns up, then email sunday we've sent it and it turned up today. win!!

I really like it, much better than the case i had, anybody want to buy a cygnett second skin - clear off of me? haha

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
And now come the rants...

Next up. Ranting from those who claim the bumper doesn't fix anything and makes it worse. We all know its coming don't we.:p

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
If they did actually get rid of them, which I doubt, they did so because they were not made the same, there was a distinct difference as noted here in various threads.

sailor4u

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Madison, WI
Bumper Shipping

I ordered my bumper and was supposed to be shipped on AUG 27 for a 1 SEP delivery... Just received an email from apple today stating my bumper was shipping today! ONE MONTH EARLY! - SOCAL here! San Diego.:)

djohn

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
For what it's worth, I ordered a Pixelskin HD on the day the app was released. I received notification of a UPS Ground shipment on July 23rd. It is scheduled to arrive on the 30th.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
see i ordered mine at around the same time on friday, got a confirmation email thought nothing of the time frame, thinking it will turn up when it turns up, then email sunday we've sent it and it turned up today. win!!

I still want to know what the selection process was - checked just now and mine's still scheduled for August 27th despatch, I wouldn't mind if it was first come first served but it obviously isn't (saw someone who got confirmation day after mine and has already received it), evil Apple! ;)

If they did actually get rid of them, which I doubt, they did so because they were not made the same, there was a distinct difference as noted here in various threads.

I wasn't aware of this, not heard it - what were the differences??

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Anyone want to buy mine? I don't have a need for it since the attenuation issue doesn't affect my ability to make calls or deal with data.

I ordered it because it was free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.