Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmonkey615

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
I recommended to a co-worker that they buy a powerbook for personal use. I took time to sit them down and show them the differences between mac and pc and show how much better macs were.

Well, she ended up buying 2 powerbooks. Within the first week of having one she left it sitting on her desk here at work and no-one touched it. Came in the next day and the screen had completely cracked all the way up.

She had applecare and called to get the situation resolved and of course they made her pay something like $600 to get it repaired. How ****** is that to have to pay to get that fixed right after buying it. She is contemplating returning both tibooks and getting pc's because she's so infuriated with the situation.

What would you guys suggest?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I have NEVER known a screen to crack by itself.

Are there security cameras where this laptop was just left? Something had to have happened to it.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
If the PB was closed, perhaps the cleaning staff or someone else set something on it? It is unlikely to have cracked without any provocation.

I'd be surprised if Apple acknowledged a manufacturing defect in a Ti book, since any Ti book is fairly dated (relative to the new Al ones anyway).

Do you have insurance that might cover it?

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Agreed... there's no way it could just crack like that. Somebody hosed it and won't own up to it.

If she had had a Toshiba laptop sitting there, the same thing would have happened... except the case probably would have cracked too.

macmonkey615

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
cracked

Well, no we don't have security camera's but I was here late with her showing her some stuff and we were the last to leave and I was the first one here. Sometimes these things just happen.

I was shocked to see what had happened and I told her to call the store and apple and she did.. The store said apple would take care of it.

Actually now that I think of it I had a friend when the powerbook was first released whom had the same thing happen to her but it somehow got fixed.. She recently moved to Atlanta but maybe I should give her a call.

Ps.... just because it doesn't seem likely doesn't mean it didn't happen. I had a power adapter on my tibook completely melt and almost cause a fire in my apt for no reason.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
It sounds like you have gremlins. :confused: I have never heard of that happening before. Besides someone braking it, the only other reason I can think of for it to crack would be if the laptop quickly got very cold, then very hot.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
That really doesn't make any sense. Think about it: If there was enough tension to crack the screen (which could have been caused by a manufacturing fault, fair enough) the screen would have cracked way before. Now, it could have been that it was on the edge of its tolerance. This would mean that something would have to set it just beyond this tolerance in order for it to crack! If the pb was just sitting there, it wouldn't make sense that it just all of a sudden cracked.

Also, how bad is the crack? I stood on my powerbook titanium a few months back. That cracked the screen considerably. The top right, where the impact was (and I'm not a light guy) cracked top to bottom. But besides that area I can still use the display. Did the display really shatter?

macmonkey615

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
The crack appeared.

The crack was actually under the plastic screen face. The actual platic covering that you can touch wasn't harmed but underneath where the luminaries are were cracked from top to bottom. Sounds like a faulty screen to me.

Also, an airport screener dropped my dads ibook about 4 feet to the floor and it made a little crack in the corner. solidifying my belief that it would take a lot of force in a precise location to crack a screen from top to bottom.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
macmonkey615 said:
Also, an airport screener dropped my dads ibook about 4 feet to the floor and it made a little crack in the corner. solidifying my belief that it would take a lot of force in a precise location to crack a screen from top to bottom.

I would've kicked the airport screener's A$$ if he did that to my powerbook. Did your dad get compensated for this imbecile's stupidity?

Yotabyte

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2004
Perth, Australia.
I've seen airport workers do some really nasty things, especially at LAX. Was this by any chance at LAX? :p One time I saw one of them search some ones luggage, and then tape it up after breaking the luggage and giving it back in pieces. They also managed to completely destroy my luggage on both the journey there and the return journey, but never had to tape it up. But ouch, dropping your dads ibook, hope he obtained that employee's ID and got revenge. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.