Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
Improve G5 reliability?

I find my G5 already very reliable so far. I'm not sure if I should update the firmware.

Does anyone know more about this?

I do hope that this firmware update is more reliable than the 10.3.6 OS-X update. ;)

bux

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2004
Sweden
I installed it... no problems but I didn't notice anything "new" either (since my G5 was/is really reliable).
I wish apple could put out a more detailed description of this...

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
I haven't installed this yet either, but discussion at the Apple discussion board seems to indicate that acceleration of the fans seems to be affected. That is, the fans don't seem to quickly rev up as much.

TENBLUE7™

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2003
Sheffield - England
phew...

...installed and working fine despite me shaking like a leaf thinking it would affect my "non-kingston" third party ram.

And 4g's worth at that, but it's fine.

Next 10.3.7...

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
Scottyk9 said:
I haven't installed this yet either, but discussion at the Apple discussion board seems to indicate that acceleration of the fans seems to be affected. That is, the fans don't seem to quickly rev up as much.
Well, that would be nice. But I think I will just wait a little longer. If there aren't any reports on "shrewd up G5s" coming in, then I'll update to see if this improves the fan-rev behavior. I could imagine that at least the "auto performance" mode could do with some less sporadic fan behavior.

criana

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2004
Connecticut
Dual 1.8?

Anyone with a dual 1.8Ghz G5 run this update?

Also do I need to take out aftermarket RAM before I do it?

I'm wondering if this update will fix my USB crashing problems.

TENBLUE7™

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2003
Sheffield - England
Dual 1.8...

...yeah running a dual 1.8 (>June 2004 Model) using 4 gb's or aftermarket ram - left it in and it updated fine.

Was a little scared after reading about the uni processor firmware update not liking non kingston etc ram, but I've ran hardware test four times and the memories always passed.

Useless info but it keeps my mind at rest.

Cheers

Crunchy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2004
Kansas
DP 2.5?

Does anyone know if this is meant to be installed on DP 2.5 G5s? My machine shipped in August. Does this count as a June 2004 G5? Apple's giving a pretty ambiguous description of what this update is, and with few details about what it's supposed to do. Any details would be helpful here...

mityx

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
USB crashing problems

criana said:
Anyone with a dual 1.8Ghz G5 run this update?

Also do I need to take out aftermarket RAM before I do it?

I'm wondering if this update will fix my USB crashing problems.

Hey criana....
I've had my dual 1.8 a couple of months now and I've always had USB crashing problems too. Very frustrating. I've had more kernel panics with my new G5 in 2 months than I did in a few years with my old G4/400.

Ran the firmware update and it doesn't seem to have fixed much.
Also still having troubles playing DVDs....always get lots of green artifacts all over the screen.

Anyone else getting this problem?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Available today via Software Update:
Read Before You Install iPod Updater

iPod Updater 2004-11-15 includes iPod mini Software 1.2 for iPod mini and iPod software 3.0.2. for iPods with a Click Wheel. iPod Updater 2004-11-15 contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2004-10-20 for all other iPod models.

New features of iPod mini Software 1.2:
Compatibility with iTunes 4.7 and iTunes Music Store
Shuffle and play song library with one click (using the Shuffle Songs item in the main menu)
Create multiple On-The-Go playlists
Delete songs from On-The-Go playlists
Select reading playback speed for audiobooks
Hear Click Wheel clicker through headphones
Sync and go with improved disconnect performance

New features of iPod Software 3.0.2 provides:
Compatibility with iTunes 4.7 and iTunes Music Store
Improved USB 2.0 connectivity

For more information about iPod, go to http://www.apple.com/support/ipod.

Also made available a firmware update yesterday for owners of June 2004 model G5 Power Macs. The text accompanying the update stated simply:
The Power Mac G5 Firmware Update improves system reliability for Power Mac G5 (June 2004) systems.
There is no explanation of the firmware posted to Apple's website yet.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I just got this in Software Update. I will install the iPod update at some point but I don't get it. It says it adds iTunes 4.7 compatibility but I'm already on iTunes 4.7 with no problems? :confused:

TopCatz

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2004
UK
Works fine on iPod mini. Now has the more rational menu system with Music and Shuffle. Shame they don't do that for 3Gs and back as it is such a basic, simple yet useful change.
(Looking forward to the Bluewater Apple store in UK as I can't make the Regent St. opening :cool: )

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
This brings the iPod mini's feature set just about on par with the 4G iPods. Since they're still "current" models, it's good to see they've finally released this for the mini as well.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
mityx said:
Ran the firmware update and it doesn't seem to have fixed much.

Also still having troubles playing DVDs....always get lots of green artifacts all over the screen.

Anyone else getting this problem?
That's an old problem, most likely related to an overheating video card.

Usually shows when people are really hammering the GPU.

Some cards came with shifted heatsinks on the cards (manufacturing problems.) Some people were able to correct the problem by a quite R&R with some new thermal paste. Others opted for a card replacement.

Then there are those who can also ran into this problem when they run 2 monitors, or have the computer located in a warm area. Which basically means an upgrade to an overclocker video card heatsink.

---

As far as the USB problems, there is a chance you need to check out the System Profiler to see how the devices are being reported -- some of the old devices didn't correctly ID their power usage, so the OS and new machines just turn them off.

If the USB device actually freezes the machine... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.