Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:58 AM   #1
TEST4ECHO
macrumors newbie

Don't Laugh

Ok you can laugh since I do. I recently took over a job at my company that required I now how to use Mac/Apple computers. I know nothing about them. Fortunate for me it my job is to repalce the few Macs we have. My problem is the oldest of our computer that ran an outdated machine that I am currently building a PC replacement for, uses an apple 2e. It has a 5 1/4 floppy drive. I need to move the data from it's stored 5 1/2 in disk a 3 1/4 in order to move it to the current Mac. Then later to data storage on a PC.

So my question. I have found several Apple 5 1/2 in external drives on e-bay, but none of my apples have 3 drives but my Macs do. So is an Apple drive compatible with a MAC computer?

Jeff
TEST4ECHO is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:09 AM   #2
emw
macrumors 603

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, had to get that out. You have old Apple //e computers THAT YOU STILL USE?! Wow! Who knows, those might even be worth something.

I don't know that you can use a disk written on a //e with a Mac, but it's worth a try. It will probably work.

Otherwise, you can download an Apple emulator for the PC. Never used it, can't vouch for it's effectiveness, but may be worth it to transfer data.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:01 PM   #3
AmigoMac
macrumors 68020

aren't the disks 5 1/4 , 3 1/2 ?
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:55 PM   #4
wHo_tHe
macrumors regular

And why are you replacing the Macs with PCs??

Apple II-series hardware is basically incompatible with Macs, even old ones.

But don't worry. Your task isn't impossible. You'll need to spend a little bit of money, though, on some old hardware, namely a 3 1/2" drive (and maybe a controller card) for your IIe, and possibly an older Mac with a floppy drive to read the data. Once it's on even a System 7-era Mac, you can re-write the data to new floppies and use a USB floppy drive to move the flies over, or network the old Mac and move them off that way.

Do you know if the files are stored in Dos 3.3 or ProDOS format? I'm pretty sure ProDOS disks at least were readable at least through Mac OS 8 or 9, and I'm not sure about X. 3.3 I'm less sure about, but maybe someone can chime in.

I'd presume less than $500 in hardware will give you a workable solution to your problem. If there's valuable data there, it will be well worth it.
wHo_tHe is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2004, 01:00 PM   #5
wHo_tHe
macrumors regular

Oh, and here's a better link for Apple II emulators:

http://www.emulation.net/apple2/
wHo_tHe is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2004, 01:24 PM   #6
jared_kipe
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to jared_kipe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoMac
aren't the disks 5 1/4 , 3 1/2 ?
Aww man, I was going to rag on him for that one.
jared_kipe is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2004, 02:02 PM   #7
sgarringer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST4ECHO
Ok you can laugh since I do. I recently took over a job at my company that required I now how to use Mac/Apple computers. I know nothing about them. Fortunate for me it my job is to repalce the few Macs we have. My problem is the oldest of our computer that ran an outdated machine that I am currently building a PC replacement for, uses an apple 2e. It has a 5 1/4 floppy drive. I need to move the data from it's stored 5 1/2 in disk a 3 1/4 in order to move it to the current Mac. Then later to data storage on a PC.

So my question. I have found several Apple 5 1/2 in external drives on e-bay, but none of my apples have 3 drives but my Macs do. So is an Apple drive compatible with a MAC computer?

Jeff
I'll never understand why companies do this. We replaced all of our dumb terminals with P4 PCs at the last job I had, and while the dumb terminals NEVER crashed the PCs go down weekly.

If it ain't broke...
sgarringer is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2004, 03:09 PM   #8
*Y*
macrumors regular

______________________don't try to fix it!!
*Y* is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers