Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Weekly Photo Contest (July 31-August 7): People

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: People

This is a very broad theme, in keeping with our collective effort to encourage as many entries as possible. With a hat tip to our esteemed multi-contest winner pdxflint, I have one basic guideline. People need to be either the main subject(s) of the photo or be so essential to the photo that removing them would fundamentally alter the photo (I'm thinking of something like mtbdudex's entry in our most recent contest). On a personal level, I would love to see some film-based images.

Good luck!

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
p(ink)ixie

902835824_r3MPU-XL.jpg

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
C&C welcome. While on vacation in NYC, we stopped at the NYC Tourist Information Desk at Times Square.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Tricky one this week.

I love taking pictures of people so I have quite a few pictures to pick from!

However, I decided to go for a sort of candid shot which is a bit different from what's already been posted and from the other pictures I have taken.

Zizo

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
sorry ! :S

Attachments

• 39651_472735198153_635338153_6459606_3113084_n.jpg
    39651_472735198153_635338153_6459606_3113084_n.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 180

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Zizo, you may want to review the topic for this week's contest. It is "People," and I can't see anyone in your photo.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Victory!

IMG_5142.jpg

Jesse Neal after winning a TNA Wrestling tag match in the Impact Zone at Universal Studios Orlando last week.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Same girl from BnW contest...

Exif Info:
Camera Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 800

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I want to thank everyone for their entries this week :). Always good to see a strong round of entries and this week definitely had that.

As I mainly photograph people, it's a subject I feel strongly about and so some of these entries really left an impression on me.

Maxxamillian: Your photo makes me think of The Wizard of Oz or maybe Lord of the Rings. Very otherworldly, and I wonder what the post processing was for it, and what the original photo looks like. Don't you dare say it looked like that when you took it.

pukifloyd: Your entry seems a bit heavy on the PP side, but it gives the impression of two young folks who do indeed just want to go home. Was this posed or candid?

mtbdudex: Hey, this isn't the lake I asked for ;). A very different and more colorful photo from your last one. Nice work focusing on the kid and not the flames. What was on the menu?

JDDavis: Who is this elegant young woman? Inquiring minds want to know. Well done :).

deep diver: The happiness of young and close friends resonates with us all and your photo delves into that very well. We should all endeavor to have this in our lives.

TooFastForLove: I'll tell you why I really like this shot: It's a wide angle shot of a person, and you don't see enough of those. It's counter-intuitive for many people, but WA is where the energy is much of the time. Maybe try doing a little PP to increase the blacks and such, but overall, I like this one a great deal. Never be afraid to experiment with WA lenses.

Damiantmc: I can't say I like the selective coloring, but I'm not a big fan of that in general. But, of course I like the subject and also that you did it in high key. Maybe try a little different metering to tone down the highlights a bit, but overall, nice shot :).

NeverhadaPC: There seems to be a bit of purple in your image :). May I suggest trying to have your subject in similar shots stand in such a way as to create some directional tension with the wall? Certainly a very colorful image.

MattSepeta: Celebrate! Nice shot :). I couldn't help but notice that the guy on the right there was outjumped by his female counterpart on the left. I'd like to know if anything was said about that. One suggestion: If you weren't laying down for this shot, give it a try. You'll make them look even higher up in the air.

Presha: A bit chaotic, but maybe that's the point. In chaos, we see that everyone is a human in the end. Perhaps the best reminder out that out of all these images.

pakyooh: Inquiring minds want to know who this pair is. Were they a couple or as unknown to each other as they are to people here? I like the energy and fun here :).

telecomm: This borders on some of the stuff I've done, and I like it a lot. Very serene model and nice, muted colors :).

acearchie: This looks almost film-like, or maybe the models just look straight out of the 80s. Very nice flow to it, as the tree branches create something of a yin/yang with the people.

Madmic23: He looks almost surprised on his victory. Was he? Certainly a very energetic shot.

JoshBoy: Eek! You definitely get an eyeful of your subject here. Did this take a lot of PP work?

Our three top places:

3rd place:

NeGRit0:

4828608189_c52ffaba10_z.jpg

Another great shot of her. I really like the energy here, and that it's in monochrome. The angle works well, because it gives directional tension against the direction of the background. I like shooting stuff like this a lot, and I would love to have photographed her. Well done :).

2nd place:
Schtumple:

4685774565_b051f279e1_b.jpg

An almost surrealistic image, and right out of the gate this was my default winner if I didn't see anything better. I love the colors and the back and forth between the subject and the mirror, along with your hand. Very colorful and just very well done overall :).

1st place:

VirtualRain:

p22417416-4.jpg

Congrats! This image truly wowed me, and not just me. I showed it to a friend and she said "WOW." A great people shot that's completely different from anything I've ever done. A lot of energy here, and those volleyballs in the air make the image. The line of nets adds a lot as well. Just a spectacular image all around. I'm a better photographer for having seen this.

Thanks again for another great round and good luck to VirtualRain in judging the next contest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.