Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Kiirk
macrumors member

iPhone just turned off and won't turn back on..

It's the iPhone 4, had it since it was released my first problem... NON JAILBROKEN.

It was at about 40% battery with no where near enough for it to turn off.

Was sat next to me, and I checked it and it was off?

It won't turn back on, seems a little weird. Anybody else had this problem?

Happened just after I downloaded Camera+ APP
Kiirk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Nino313
macrumors member

Same thing happened to me a few days ago. I held the power+home buttons down for about 10 sec and it rebooted. Hope that helps
Nino313 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Kiirk
macrumors member

Just tried that, was about 15 seconds.

But it just seems weird, never done that before and it wouldn't even start charging or the computer wouldn't recognise an iphone in.

Much longer than the usual 5 seconds it takes to turn it on normally
Kiirk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

This happened to my brother's iPhone 4 yesterday.

About 40% charged and it just turned itself off.

Had to hold Home + Lock for about 15 seconds.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:22 PM   #5
mcvaughan
macrumors 6502

See my thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=989539
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:58 PM   #6
mubo
macrumors regular

Mine did the same earlier??? Had to hold both buttons for 15 sec to get it to start up..
mubo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:05 PM   #7
MUBiomed
macrumors 6502

Exclamation

Happened to me today around 1PM EST. I missed several calls as the phone had shut off without me knowing it. It was quite warm when I did get it out of the holster....I suspect that it might have overheated. It would not be the first time I have got the "heat warning" screen (while sitting in an air conditioned room).
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:08 PM   #8
bumzo1
macrumors 6502a

happened a lot to my 3GS, I took it to the apple store and they replaced it just for that.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:08 PM   #9
dmorris01
macrumors member

Mine did this today but it's no big deal since the proximity sensor combined with crappy BT renders it almost unusable as a phone.
dmorris01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Flipside186
macrumors member

Same thing happened to me a week ago. Took it to apple. They ran their diagnostics and discovered a software corruption. Setting the phone up as new will likely fix it. Mine was replaced by apple.
Flipside186 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:22 PM   #11
trainguy77
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to trainguy77 Send a message via MSN to trainguy77 Send a message via Yahoo to trainguy77
This happened on my 3GS last night. I thought my phone was toast! It is the only time I have had it happen to me. Maybe it is a iOS4 bug?
trainguy77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:17 PM   #12
megsalias
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy77 View Post
This happened on my 3GS last night. I thought my phone was toast! It is the only time I have had it happen to me. Maybe it is a iOS4 bug?
I had it happen on my old 3GS before the new software came out. It only happened once, and I never had another problem.
megsalias is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 04:50 PM   #13
GemaMc89
macrumors newbie

Question ..... :/

My iphone4 has just turned its self off as i was uploading a video onto facebook,.. i had to hold home + lock buttons for 15 sec and thank god it worked because i would be lost without it so thanks guys x
GemaMc89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 09:35 PM   #14
asleep
macrumors 68020

What did you say to it? Did you hurt its feelings?
asleep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:53 PM   #15
iZeeshan
macrumors regular

My phone has been doing this for a while.

It is jailbroken.

Recently however, I also dropped it and cracked.

Is there a way I can take it to the Apple Store and get it replaced because of the "hardware malfunction". Would I have to restore the phone all the way, because it's jailbroken?

Any tips?
iZeeshan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 02:04 PM   #16
iZeeshan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZeeshan View Post
My phone has been doing this for a while.

It is jailbroken.

Recently however, I also dropped it and cracked.

Is there a way I can take it to the Apple Store and get it replaced because of the "hardware malfunction". Would I have to restore the phone all the way, because it's jailbroken?

Any tips?
Anyone have any info/advice?
iZeeshan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:54 PM   #17
Lulu-Belle
macrumors newbie

Wink

*phew* am I glad I found this forum!
Was on Safari last night & when I exited the phone just went blank & died! Thought the battery died (altho it was still green when I was surfing) but when I plugged it in to charge.... NADA! Just a blank screen! Left it in 2 charge nonetheless & this morning, still nothing! I was seriously panicking bcos I've only had it for about 6 wks.
Luckily I found this forum! Held home+power button for about 10s & voila, it came back to life! Thanks for the info, guys!

Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:38 PM   #18
Tumblehawk
macrumors newbie

Same issue, but power button is broken

I am having the same issue - got on the subway with 30% power left, got out of the subway 35 minutes later and my iPhone 3GS was dead and totally unresponsive.

Unfortunately for me holding down Home and Power isn't exactly an option as my Power button is completely broken and hasnt functioned for 4-5 months now.

Any ideas??
Tumblehawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:16 PM   #19
divinekelli
macrumors newbie

Same thing happen to me, all of sudden it just turned off and it wouldn't respond to a charge on the wall, in my car, or on the computer. Finally, read the previous post and held the lock button and the home button for 15 seconds and it turned on! HOOORAY!
divinekelli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:52 PM   #20
Lee Adama
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZeeshan View Post
Anyone have any info/advice?
restore as new phone before returning to Apple store.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:19 PM   #21
Pianoplayer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino313 View Post
Same thing happened to me a few days ago. I held the power+home buttons down for about 10 sec and it rebooted. Hope that helps
Thank you, Nino. You just helped me with this one! Great forum BTW
Pianoplayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 04:57 PM   #22
mia3377
macrumors newbie

iphone 4 shuts off, won't turn on

my 8 month old iphone 4 automatically shuts off and can't turn it on. the battery life was 30% by that time. thanks to this site, i followed what the others did when they experienced the same. i held the home and sleep button for 10-15 seconds and it came back to life!
i started to experience some problems when i upgraded it into ios5, it would hang up and then even if the phone is on, i could not receive a call or a text message. one time, i was wondering why half of the day i was not receiving any calls or messages and that is strange as i had calls coming everyday due to the nature of my business, so i grabbed my other phone and tried to ring my iphone and to my surprise it was like freezing. I can hear a ring on the phone im using but the iphone has no sound and nothing appears on the screen.
my concern is that do i need to take my iphone back to the apple store and complain for this kind of problem? does this problems harmful and could lead to a totally serious problem like i could not use my iphone anymore as it is totally dead?
please i need ur advice..
thanks so much!
mia3377 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:55 PM   #23
Phatpat
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Phatpat
Thanks guys, was a little stressed out about losing my just-out-of-warranty phone until I found this thread. Good to go now.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:21 PM   #24
brownrj1906
macrumors newbie

Do you guys use Voxer?

Do you guys operate the app Voxer? Reason being is that my phone is having the same problem and didn't start til I started using that app.
brownrj1906 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:53 PM   #25
ase1031
macrumors newbie

Help me please!

My girlfriend's iPhone 4 just shut off randomly and won't turn on. the phone had 42% left when it shut off. nothing was wrong with it and there was nothing that we can think of that would cause this to happen and it's not Jailbroke or anything. She plugged it into her laptop and it won't show up on iTunes. She also help the Home and Sleep button for over a minute and nothing happened. Please help me for ways that could help and what we should do.
ase1031 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting