Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
My iPhone 4 seems to lockup every so often, and it only comes alive again if I do a hard reset. I've tried doing a restore, but it has not helped. :( Not sure if it's related to a particular app running in the background or not.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

It could be a problem with one of the Apps. that you installed. Do you recall a starting point that would help narrow it down to any app?

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
No, I can't say since it only started when moving to iPhone 4 from my 3GS. I just did a restore from backup when I got the new phone.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
SophiaLee, I thought of that, but would loose all my txt msgs. I rely heavily on these. Any way to backup them and restore?

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Could have been txt, not sure. I noticed a lot if camera.app was running, but can't say for certain that's the culprit.

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
SophiaLee, I thought of that, but would loose all my txt msgs. I rely heavily on these. Any way to backup them and restore?

The only way I know of is if u jb. I was having sum problem restoring from backup too and I restore and setup as new. Before I did that I back up individual apps via choronus from cydia. Than I ssh into the phone and save the backup from the app. After setting up as new I restore the apps 1 by 1. Problem free so far except that it cannot restore camera roll.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I think it may be related to SMS. Just had a lockup this morning when I left it running. It always happens when I try to wake up the phone again.

urbanj

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
I have the phone lock up if im in the task manager and close either the phone app or the messeges app. Don't know if this relates but I see it too.

OCSpersonel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
glad to hear im not the only one with this problem, Iv had several instances where it locks up in the multitasking toolbar, and just had a case where it froze in SMS today

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Well, I tried something today that a Genius recommended. I had previously tried setting up the phone as new, but still had problems. It was told to me that if I setup a new profile (use a different name for the phone) that that was the only way to do a completely clean wipe. So far, so good.

I will report back when it's been a few days.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Was at the Apple store today with the same complaint as the OP. What they said was a hard reset does not clear the memory fully so its not good to hard reset when these things happen. Let them work themselves out(the handset will restart itself eventually) Do a restore and set it up as a new phone. If you use a backup to set it up they said the exact same problems will be happening. Also shut off your phone daily he described it as a computer the longer it goes between a proper shutdown and start-up the more issues you will have. I have no idea if any of this is even true but its what they said today and so thought I would pass it on.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Yup already tried setting up as new phone but it has been better. Only 1 lockup since doing the reset. I imagine it's a software bug that will be sorted out by Apple shortly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.