Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:14 PM   #1
jp700p
macrumors regular

Any scratch the rear camera lens on there iPhone 4 yet?

Since day 1, I have put a piece of invisible shield over the rear lens to protect it from scratching. However, when taking pictures the pics aren't as sharp and in focused as not having it on. But i'm always afraid it will scratch.
jp700p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:04 PM   #2
dougbrowne
macrumors member

Scratches on the "lens" usually don't affect picture quality..
dougbrowne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Megalobyte
macrumors 6502a

I've been looking for a rear protector that covers the lense, I like the camera a lot and would like a way to protect it, any ideas?

Tried a small piece of a crystal protector, wouldn't adhere properly, tried scotch tape but I think it's not totally clear.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Megalobyte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:09 PM   #4
jmsteve3
macrumors newbie

I installed an invisible shield on June 25, the day after I got my nw iPhone 4. Several days later, I was surprised to see a scratch across the middle of the lens on the camera. I couldn't figure out how it happened, but was bummed to see it on my new, shiny device. To this day though, it has not affected one picture and I only remembered it because of this post. I understand the need to protect it, but I honestly can't even tell it's there, and I take a TON of pictures and am VERY picky! Hope that helps!
jmsteve3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:02 PM   #5
Irish Rose
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

So far, there are no scratches at all on mine.
Irish Rose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:59 AM   #6
ItsJustafnPhone
Banned

putting something that is not optically clear over optical glass = FAIL

You are being counter productive. You wanted to avoid scratches because it will affect the clarity of the camera, but you've already done more to degrade the quality than any light scratch ever would do.

Just buy a case that lifts the back when its on a surface and that should be more than enough to avoid most scratches
ItsJustafnPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:10 AM   #7
Jayman34187
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
I've been looking for a rear protector that covers the lense, I like the camera a lot and would like a way to protect it, any ideas?

Tried a small piece of a crystal protector, wouldn't adhere properly, tried scotch tape but I think it's not totally clear.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Hold it this way not that way
Jayman34187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:20 AM   #8
Vegastouch
macrumors 68040

I am using Sp's for my SS Vibrant that are called Realook and you get 2 SP's plus 2 Camera lens protectors. I do not know if they make them for the iPhone but you should check it out. They are on ebay and Amazon.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:17 AM   #9
dmbaggie
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down In the shadow of antennagate!!

I tried to take a picture last night and every photo looked like glamour shots!!

I use my camera like a normal human, no rough stuff. I found out last night that the lens is very slightly mounted above the back. Guess what apple...that means it's always resting on the lens.

I've bought over 20k in apple products in the last 20 years and always praise their design and ease of use.

Look at my photo...Any thoughts? Can I take this back? Notice how the rest of the back is incredibly smooth.

dmbaggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:16 PM   #10
Charadis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbaggie View Post
I tried to take a picture last night and every photo looked like glamour shots!!

I use my camera like a normal human, no rough stuff. I found out last night that the lens is very slightly mounted above the back. Guess what apple...that means it's always resting on the lens.

I've bought over 20k in apple products in the last 20 years and always praise their design and ease of use.

Look at my photo...Any thoughts? Can I take this back? Notice how the rest of the back is incredibly smooth.
On mine, the metal rim around the camera glass is mounted slightly above the back, but the plastic rim of the back is also slightly above the glass back. For the most part, I'm sure yours is probably similar if not the same, and the camera glass is raised slightly above the plane when the phone is resting on its back.

-C
Charadis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Hellishness
macrumors 65816

Do this: Take saran wrap and put a few layers over the lens. Keep doing it, comparing how bad it looks from the back to how bad your pictures look. After your lens is COMPLETELY white because of the saran wrap (like it's bunched up), your photos should only look hazy and unfocused. Now you realize that the condition of the lens doesn't really matter.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:08 PM   #12
bobdjojo
macrumors newbie

I had a giant scratch on my lens. (well the glass over the lens) I took it to the apple store and they replaced it for free.
bobdjojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:18 PM   #13
ajohnson253
macrumors 68000

I have a minor scratch across my lense. Hair line. Hardly even noticeable. Scratches on a lense will not effect picture quality at all.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 03:38 PM   #14
spacemnspiff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp700p View Post
Since day 1, I have put a piece of invisible shield over the rear lens to protect it from scratching. However, when taking pictures the pics aren't as sharp and in focused as not having it on. But i'm always afraid it will scratch.
OP's Title: its 'their' and not 'there'. This just bugs me so had to point out.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 03:16 PM   #15
hipnetic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdjojo View Post
I had a giant scratch on my lens. (well the glass over the lens) I took it to the apple store and they replaced it for free.
What did they replace, the phone or just the lens? My camera lens is horribly scratched up. I carry my iPhone naked in my pocket and I've also got lots of scratches all over the back, including one gouge that I can catch my fingernail in if I glide it across the scratch.

I thought they were supposedly using some kind of magical super-hard glass, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the case. I think I would be happier if they just used a plastic back on this thing.
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone