Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Jewleeia
macrumors newbie

Considering buying an iPod touch for my toddler

My 2.5 yr old loves my new iphone 4, and so do I therefore I am seriously considering buying her an ipod touch so my phone doesn't get destroyed. Thinking about a bare bones, 1st generation 8gig. About what should one cost off Ebay, and will I have any problems loading a 1st gen. w/ new game apps, movies for her? I guess I am a little worried that a 1st gen won't like syncing with my current itunes. Thanks!
Jewleeia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:04 PM   #2
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

My daughter has a 1st gen touch and uses it without issue. Most games/movies work fine and it has no problems syncing with iTunes. The price will depend on condition but you could probably find a good one for under $75.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:06 PM   #3
SlovakApple
macrumors 6502

I would not worry about movies and other stuff. The only thing which could cause problems is the apps. Various apps need at least some updated firmware (3.1.3 or 4.x.x etc.). I am not sure what version of the software can you load on a 1st gen touch. Maybe someone who is more educated in this area could add some info.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Jewleeia
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlovakApple View Post
I would not worry about movies and other stuff. The only thing which could cause problems is the apps. Various apps need at least some updated firmware (3.1.3 or 4.x.x etc.). I am not sure what version of the software can you load on a 1st gen touch. Maybe someone who is more educated in this area could add some info.
Thanks, that is the info I am looking for. I will want to load toddler apps for her. Can anyone help me with what versions of firmware can be loaded on a 1st gen.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Outrun1986
macrumors regular

You can't load iOS firmware 4.0 on a first gen touch cause its unsupported so I think the highest you can get is 3.3... not sure about that but i know for sure you can't load 4.0 on it. However you may be able to buy a second gen cheaper after the release of the new batch of iPods in September, I suggest waiting till then since prices on all iPods will drop then. Keep your eye out for deals.

Maybe you could load more current apps on a first gen touch by jailbreaking, it voids your warranty but on a first gen touch that wouldn't matter.
Outrun1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Peterson8765
macrumors 6502a

The iPod touch 1G is a bit outdated, but what does a toddler care? You can load almost all the apps currently in the app store that still work for iOS 3, also you can watch movies, music, photos, and all the other things. However in probably a year or so the touch will be really outdated and you wont really be able to update it and put apps on it because they wont be supported on iOS 3. If you want to get a 1G 8GB touch they go for about $80-$120 used. I would look on craigslist first, and eBay as the last resort. If you want to get a better product, buy a refurbished 2G 8GB touch on Apple.com for $149.
Peterson8765 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:39 PM   #7
SlovakApple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun1986 View Post
...However you may be able to buy a second gen cheaper after the release of the new batch of iPods in September, I suggest waiting till then since prices on all iPods will drop then. Keep your eye out for deals.
A good suggestion. The 2nd could be cheap after September and you can load newer firmware on it.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Code.Red
macrumors regular

Yes, keep in mind that iOS 4 is not supported on the 1st gen, and apps are slowly moving to supporting iOS 4 only.

Also, the 1st gen touch doesn't have a speaker, so keep that in mind. A 2nd gen 8gb shouldn't be that much more expensive so I would go with that.
Code.Red is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Peterson8765
macrumors 6502a

Yeah I would wait a month until Apple releases the new touches, and then buy a refurbished iPod touch 2G 8GB for a lower price, since it is $149 now it will probably be about $129.
Peterson8765 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Jewleeia
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

Perfect, Thank-you! That is exactly the information I needed. I will wait until after Sept to see how the prices drop. I had no idea there isn't a speaker...and sound is very important!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Mr Slippy IV
macrumors 6502

Wait for the next generation to come out. You won't regret it. As for the toddler's touch:
  • Use Parental Controls
  • Bookmark sites for him so he knows where to go on the web
  • Get a case and screen protector (Anything switcheasy is recommended, comes with both)
  • Get him a decent size touch. 8GB might not be enough, especially if you plan on loading videos on the device

Also, how used to using a computer is he?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:18 AM   #12
weenerdog
macrumors member

Am I the only one who finds it slightly disturbing that you are even considering purchasing an ipod touch for a 2.5 year old child?? That brings new meaning to the word "spoilt". If you feel uneasy about the safety of your iPhone in the hands of your toddler then take it off him/her and be done with it. Kids that age shouldn't own electronic devices like that... It's messed up
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:43 AM   #13
wywern209
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenerdog View Post
Am I the only one who finds it slightly disturbing that you are even considering purchasing an ipod touch for a 2.5 year old child?? That brings new meaning to the word "spoilt". If you feel uneasy about the safety of your iPhone in the hands of your toddler then take it off him/her and be done with it. Kids that age shouldn't own electronic devices like that... It's messed up
no, i think a two year old should be out and around and developing basic skills for interaction etc. A little toddler has no place using gadgets just yet. maybe when he/she is older, maybe 8 years old. Of course i'm not the parent so OP, do whatever you wish. If you do end up getting a touch, get a 2g.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:06 AM   #14
tubemonkey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with it. It's a great way to expand a child's development. My son frequently uses his touch with his 1-1/2 yo son. There are numerous educational apps for children. My grandson loves the animal apps where he can associate the name, pictures, videos, and sounds for each animal.

Kudos to the OP. It's a great idea and I'm behind you 100%.
tubemonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:08 AM   #15
bagprincess
macrumors newbie

Go for 16gb

My 4 year old uses a first gen Iphone as an iPod and 8 gb isn't much when u have movies and tv progs loaded on. It's so easy to shop in peace if u can pull out ur childs favourite movie or play with apps.
bagprincess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:21 AM   #16
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
No, you're not the only one, I'm in the same boat. Kids of that age should rather be playing with Lego (Duplo) bricks.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:32 AM   #17
AAPLaday

Meccano FTW!!!
AAPLaday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:34 AM   #18
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
No, you're not the only one, I'm in the same boat. Kids of that age should rather be playing with Lego (Duplo) bricks.
Why can't they play with regular toys and the iPod Touch? My daughter who is now 4 has had an iPod touch since she was about 2 1/2. She loves to play with the iPod touch but spends most of her time playing with her toys. The iPod Touch is a great learning tool. By 3 1/2 she was doing 1st Grade level math and reading. Sure she may have done this without her learning apps, but they sure didnt hurt.
Roy Hobbs is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:48 AM   #19
pooryou
macrumors 65816

Be very careful about headphones. Young ears are extremely sensitive and easily damaged with headphones, and the child will not realize it is too loud or that it can cause permanent hearing loss. Even many adults damage their hearing this way. Probably safest not to let them use headphones at all at that age.
pooryou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:18 AM   #20
santos79
macrumors regular

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
Why can't they play with regular toys and the iPod Touch? My daughter who is now 4 has had an iPod touch since she was about 2 1/2. She loves to play with the iPod touch but spends most of her time playing with her toys. The iPod Touch is a great learning tool. By 3 1/2 she was doing 1st Grade level math and reading. Sure she may have done this without her learning apps, but they sure didnt hurt.
The problem is that 2-3 year-olds tend to still put things in their mouths very often. And they also like to throw things. If you are seriously considering giving your 2 1/2-year-old her own ipod touch, I hope you are not planning on leaving her alone with it. My 2-year-old son is very interested in my iphone too, but I would never let him walk off with it.

Also, to the OP: do you really think your daughter will lose interest in your iphone just because you buy her an ipod touch? She wants to use what you are using and if sees you with your iphone, she'll want to use it too.
santos79 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:24 AM   #21
dXTC
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There's nothing wrong with it. It's a great way to expand a child's development. My son frequently uses his touch with his 1-1/2 yo son. There are numerous educational apps for children. My grandson loves the animal apps where he can associate the name, pictures, videos, and sounds for each animal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
Lots of people on both sides of this debate, I see. My 2 cents, like it matters: It really depends on the situation. My daughter (elementary school age) likes playing with my wife's touch and wants one for herself. However, we feel that she's not responsible enough yet to have her own.

That's not to say she doesn't have gadgets, though. For a music player, she has a Sansa Shaker, which I recommend if you can find one (they're now discontinued). It uses a standard SD card, has two headphone jacks built in, and has a small yet sufficiently loud external speaker for impromptu dance parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooryou View Post
Be very careful about headphones. Young ears are extremely sensitive and easily damaged with headphones, and the child will not realize it is too loud or that it can cause permanent hearing loss. Even many adults damage their hearing this way. Probably safest not to let them use headphones at all at that age.
The risk of hearing loss cannot be understated. There is little excuse not to provide protection in some form, as there are headphones and earbuds readily available that are specifically designed to mitigate that risk by attenuating the signal and reducing overall dB levels. On top of that, all current-model iPods with screens (don't know about shuffles) have a Volume Limit function; I've activated it on both my nanos to protect my own ears.
dXTC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:04 AM   #22
pound4pound30
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to pound4pound30
one thing to keep in mind is the 1st gen does not have a speaker so your 2 year old will have to wear headphones to hear the sounds....just a thing to keep in mind because kids like to hear those noises.

(friends 2 year old loves his but wouldn't as much if he couldn't hear the noises.)
Old Aug 18, 2010, 04:59 PM   #23
Outrun1986
macrumors regular

Yeah get the 2nd gen with the speaker and since your toddler will probably not be listening to music by herself she probably won't even need headphones. But they do sell headphones that are safe for kids if you need them.

Also I think its fine to use this, kids who are 2-3 years old watch an awful lot of TV, which is worse for the brain than using an educational app. Most of the toddlers I know were raised on the TV. In fact I personally think apple has this market cornered nicely, the Wii and DS systems while marketed to kids, don't have very many games that appeal to toddlers and very young children while the iPod has many. Its better than playing regular video games at 2-3 which is what a lot of parents let their kids do even if they don't really know how to.
Outrun1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 03:49 AM   #24
soph
macrumors regular

I've got myself a current iPod touch with the intention of letting my kids (which are admittedly no toddlers anymore) use it, too. However, it's understood it doesn't live in their room.

It works out very well for skypeing, playing card games or mahjongg and a surprisingly huge percentage of creativity with the voice memo and sending their pieces of home-made music to relatives. And, yes, videos in times of boredoms and longish waits.

They got their own iPod nanos when they were 6 years old, and while those are somewhat more grimy than I'd wish my personal gadgets to feel they are still cherished, looked-after well and fully functional.

And I have never let my kids get educated (or rather entertained/looked after) by tv, their daily consumption went from 10mins per day at age 2 to 0.5 to 2 hours a day (depending on weekdays or weekends/vacation) now at 9 years old. However, I know not many parents know or care about the impact of tv on their little kids.
soph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:33 AM   #25
GregR
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to GregR
Let the kids play a few educational apps for like 30 mins, but don't let it be THEIR touch. Kids shouldn't own devices like that until 5th grade, nah 6th. Just wait until middle school.
GregR is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch