Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanarrowsmith

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
I think it's a great idea

I'm surprised to see so many people against this.

I have a 3 year old boy who's had a Nabi tablet since he was 2. Since he got it for Christmas, his speech, reading and comprehension and math skills have gone through the roof.

But the problem we have with the Nabi is that it's too locked down and we're an all Mac household (Nabi is based on Android). It's a chore to share content between the two platforms.

So we bought him an iPod Touch and we've been really happy with it. He loves playing educational games and, when we're on road trips, he'll entertain himself for hours with games and watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

I don't think the issue comes down to the child having an iPod Touch; it comes down to how the iPod Touch is allowed to be used.

Our son knows that it's a privilege and that he has to behave and do his chores to use it (he has to make his bed in the morning and pick up his toys before bed). We don't allow him to sit around for hours playing games and watching TV shows, but we do give him time to use it. Like I said, it's been educational but it also teaches him about technology. We all know that computers are becoming more integral to how we live so, from my perspective, it's helping him get an early start there too.

As for putting it in his mouth or damaging it, that again goes back to how it's allowed to be used. Toddlers love to put things in their mouths, they're still in the tantrum phase. When our son got his Nabi and his iPod Touch, we had to teach him the rules around using it. If you put it in your mouth, you don't get to use it. If you throw it or drop it, you don't get to use it. It took about a day for him to realize that he's better off behaving and taking care of it. This is a great opportunity to teach a toddler about cause and effect and responsibility.

We got him his own Touch, rather sharing a family device, because we got a specific, bulky and protective case for it, so that he can't damage it. The case is annoying to me. :)

Also, until iOS allows for shared devices (different profiles), it's not practical to share one, since we have all of the Parental Restrictions on for him.

I personally think that the iPod Touch, coupled with good structure around it, is perfect for toddlers. It's a great introduction to technology, it's a learning tool and it teaches them responsibility (if you throw it, bite it, step on it, you don't get to use it).

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I just bought my 2 year old (yep 2, he turns 3 in August) a 5G touch (got a killer deal on a sealed blue 32GB... $210!!). Put it in the toughest case I could find (Griffin Survivor seems to be better than the OtterBox frankly) thinking if he drops it it at least gives it a chance at survival.

The ONLY problem so far has been getting him to put it down. I loaded it with learning apps and a few of his favorite cartoons and Disney movies, and he is absolutely spellbound by it.

As a little background, he has grown up being around and playing with our iPhones, so he already was proficient in navigating and unlocking the device, we just got tired of him always going for our phones every chance he got. Now he has one of his very own! He even Skyped with Grandpa on father's day, and he LOVES the "Elmo's Calling" app that actually uses the front facing camera to fake a video call with Elmo (that you can schedule).

If we could get it away from him without a mini tantrum it would be PERFECT.

He probably will break it at some point, but we don't let him leave the house with it, so theft/loss isn't a big concern. I'm not as worried about him dropping/slamming it as I am him dropping it in the bath or some other body of water =).

All in all, if you can afford it, it literally kicks the crap out of the LeapPad, Nubi?, Innotab, etc... Even the volume of toddler software is amazing.

I would have gone iPad Mini, but even that just has too much mass for him to be tossing around without a GOOD chance it would break. We think the touch at least has a better chance of survival haha.

All in all it has been a GREAT experience, and I highly reccomend it if your toddler is always taking your phone =)

ryanarrowsmith

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Surprising to me to see giving your child an iPod Touch is being equated to giving a cat an iPod Touch. That must come from people without children because, even at two, my son could work nearly every electronic device in our house.

At 15, my cat still can't figure out how to turn on the TV. :)

As for comparing means and lifestyle: there's no point to that. Every family is in a different place. To me, $250 on an iPod touch isn't a make-or-break expense, especially when you factor in the educational value (we also bought a $30 warranty that protects the Touch in case of damage or loss). I've easily spent more than that on educational books, toys, etc.

I'm just surprised that people have such strong opinions about it. Do what's right for your family and child, don't judge others. I would buy the Touch again in a second. Except I would skip buying the Nabi at all and would have gotten the Touch when he was 2.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Surprising to me to see giving your child an iPod Touch is being equated to giving a cat an iPod Touch. That must come from people without children because, even at two, my son could work nearly every electronic device in our house.

At 15, my cat still can't figure out how to turn on the TV. :)

As for comparing means and lifestyle: there's no point to that. Every family is in a different place. To me, $250 on an iPod touch isn't a make-or-break expense, especially when you factor in the educational value (we also bought a $30 warranty that protects the Touch in case of damage or loss). I've easily spent more than that on educational books, toys, etc.

I'm just surprised that people have such strong opinions about it. Do what's right for your family and child, don't judge others. I would buy the Touch again in a second. Except I would skip buying the Nabi at all and would have gotten the Touch when he was 2.

Well said!

I'm SO glad we skipped the "childrens" electronics (LeapPad/InnoTab) and just went right to the good stuff (iPt5G). Again, I do agree that for some people it might be too risky and expensive to do, but for those who won't lose sleep if their two year old decides to test the limits of breakability (bound to happen) of a $200 device, it's an AWESOME choice. I already see learning (numbers, letters (numbers more so... he can count to 50 now, which for a 2 year old is incredible), AND animals he never knew before he knows now AND knows the sounds they make).

Now if we can just get our little genius to not poop his pants =). There's an app for that too though, so we'll be working on it haha...

Ironically, most of the $3 learning apps are of BETTER quality than the crap they charge $30 for on the LeapFrog and Innovo systems anyway.

You also have to think that our kids will have a major leg up when it comes to using computers in general, especially if the trend of iPads in school continues (and all signs are pointing that it will).

If you can afford it (and you have the stomach for it) I wholeheartedly reccomend the Touch 5G, even for a 2 year old!

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I do agree with skipping the children's electronics, apple can do everything better and they don't really outgrow an apple device, a leap pad or an innotab will be outgrown and eventually forgotten about since the kid wont want to be seen using it after age 5 or so, so all that $30 digital software will be gone. May as well just get the good stuff first. With the iPod you just load new apps when the kid outgrows it and its a fresh new device. You will spend as much on accessories, batteries and software for the innotabs and leappads as you would on an iPod touch.

VTECH's Facebook page is also filled with complaints about the devices malfunctioning, they don't have much warranty and that doesn't cover anything your kid does to it even if its a toy meant for children.

The problem comes with the fact that most parents let their kids have these things without any supervision and restrictions, I also think that teaching responsible electronics use is important early on, if you teach your kids early on then you will not have problems later on when it would be harder to teach and restrict them.

I know someone who is preventing her child from touching any electronics because she believes they are all garbage, um she is going to have an awful hard time with this when the child eventually gets too old to play with toys.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I'm surprised to see so many people against this.

I have a 3 year old boy who's had a Nabi tablet since he was 2. Since he got it for Christmas, his speech, reading and comprehension and math skills have gone through the roof.

There is nothing inherently "bad" about young kids becoming familiar with and competent with the use of electronic devices such as tablets. The PROBLEM occurs when the parents actually expect those devices to become de facto learning tools and expect them as adequate substitutions for (traditional) methods of learning (e.g. learning your ABCs and arithmetic through books and methods that have been tested by teachers/educators for years).

If you merely want to use the tablet/iPod as a supplementary learning tool for your young one, then I don't really see a problem with it. Parental engagement and supervision is also key.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Wow, when I was little my parents never allowed me to have any gadgets, I didn't have an mp3 player until I was 14, I was born in 1993 I might add. I didn't own my first iPod touch until 16, and it was at the time new, it was the 2nd generation.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
There is nothing inherently "bad" about young kids becoming familiar with and competent with the use of electronic devices such as tablets. The PROBLEM occurs when the parents actually expect those devices to become de facto learning tools and expect them as adequate substitutions for (traditional) methods of learning (e.g. learning your ABCs and arithmetic through books and methods that have been tested by teachers/educators for years).

If you merely want to use the tablet/iPod as a supplementary learning tool for your young one, then I don't really see a problem with it. Parental engagement and supervision is also key.

My son has always been a little ahead of the curve in terms of where he "should" be (granted in most of Asia he'd probably be considered developmentally challenged lol... our standards aren't that great), but I have to disagree with you.

Some kids learn better from games and songs than from a parent screeching the ABC song at them. It's NOT for every kid, but I have noticed marked improvement in things like counting, spelling, even answering questions, since we introduced the iPod. Is it the SOLE source of learning? Nope, but it's a killer supplement, and while I agree it would be problematic as the SOLE source of learning, no one in this thread has indicated it was, hence the surprise at the negative feedback.

It is what it is, and I certainly won't let jealous internet-ites impact how I decide to raise my child.

Well into the experiment I cannot express how pleased we are with how it's turned out. It's even become a "calm down" tool (which for a 2 year old is worth it's weight in gold). He is getting better at giving it up (he knows when it needs charging), and he knows that he can't take it to daycare, outside, or to bed (besides the "Nighty Night" app, which is ALSO worth it's weight in gold (zero I guess, but you know what I mean), when it comes to the "no" we hear at bedtime).

He IS learning things we aren't teaching him, which is insane to me since he is largely doing it on his own (and ENJOYING it). We load a new app (abcmouse.com is the latest fad) on occasion without telling him, he finds it, figures it out, and tells us all about it. It's really amazing stuff when you consider he's 2.

And most importantly, he WANTS to do it. That's gotta be the prevailing reason why he is learning so well from it.

Worth every penny. Knock it all you want, but I should have gotten one for him sooner (2nd birthday maybe... he was already using our phones for "pishures" haha...).

We bought our little gal an iPod Touch when she was just under 2 (she's 8 now). The main reason we bought it was we were about to go on a long overseas trip so I loaded it up with her videos, bought the leads so it could be plugged into most TVs and set the headphones up so the volume was at a safe level. Worked a treat & she learnt a lot of basic skills using it too.
The apps we put on it for her then were simple draw-and-paint type apps and things like memory games. There's heaps of neat stuff out there for pre-schoolers just watch out for the freemium and advert supported rubbish.
Learning to use equipment as early as possible really is only an advantage for kids these days as far as I'm concerened.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I grew up with computers. I had an Apple //e in my room when I was 2. But then I have no sight in my left eye and have problems using my right leg and arm, so there was a risk that I was going to be far behind when it came to school due to them not knowing how my mental state was at the time. I was put into an early childhood program for two years before I should have started Kindergarten for that reason. Luckily I was well enough that I could actually be in classes with all the regular kids, my classmates during those two years, not so much.

I even graduated with multiple honors. :D National Honor Society, President of Quill & Scroll for journalism, and National Art Honor Society.

So I'm actually really lucky. Especially for someone that has a hard time talking due to a speech impediment.

But at the same time, I'm not really that smart either. I went to private school after 6th grade (the teachers didn't get me, and walking from one class to another in a HUGE school is very hard for me due to my leg problems), and the funny thing is that I'm pretty average at everything, but when it comes to logic/reasoning, my scores are like way, way, way, way to the very top of the chart. The testing lady even laughed at that, because it really is funny in a way.

But I learnt how to draw, to read, and to write on a computer. And I was putting webpages together by 1997, using Photoshop by 1999. And now I'm somewhat efficient in 3D modeling, somewhat, I know the tools at least and can do prototypes.

Don't get them an iPod Touch, get them an iPad. It will make using it together much easier with the bigger screen.

Don't focus on getting them ahead either. I know there's a lot of talk about how it's so "AMAZING" that parents think their kid is better than anyone else because they read and do math above their grade level, but if they were REALLY that smart, the school would have let them skip that grade. :rolleyes: Truth is, if your kid is mentally not able to go past a grade level, they don't let it happen, and people need to remember that.

Other kids always HATE the smarter kids too, mostly because those kids tend to hang out with each other and pretend the others don't exist. They push them into another classroom during the day too. So the normally placed kids forget about them too. They have nothing in common.

They'll learn the hard way that nobody really cares, especially in college. :rolleyes: And especially the professors, someone got the boot in my class for that exact reason actually. Being up your own ass won't get you anywhere in life. :eek:

Being a kid comes first. Remember that. Teach them the basics, and get them to where they need to be before they head into grade school. Otherwise they're not going to enjoy it, and when you don't enjoy school, it makes it difficult for everyone - parents, teachers, classmates, and whoever else involved.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Sorry but I don't buy the "nobody likes the smart kids, so make sure they don't get too smart!" excuse for not wanting kids to be as smart as possible as early as possible. Frankly, sad as it is "as smart as possible" in this country is borderline passable in a lot of other cultures, especially for kids, so getting them as far ahead as possible is critical (unless you are ok making under 100K a year, which I suppose is fine for a lot of folks but would probably send my wife into convulsions lol...).

Kids MUST have fun and "be kids" too. I do agree with that much. The trouble is when you prioritze fun above all else simply because they're kids. Then all of a sudden low grades become ok because the kid is "creative", and "bored" or any number of other excuses to absolve failure. No rules, no discipline, no exercise, no socilization... it happens all the time in the name of "just being a kid".

I will support my children no matter what. No matter what. But that doesn't mean I won't push them to be the absolute best at everything they choose to do just because they're "being a kid" either. At some point they will enter the real world. That's why they will NOT be enrolled in competitons where there are no losers and everyone gets the same trophy for "participation" (to protect them from losing... because hey, they're "just kids"...). Losing is REALITY, and equally (if not more) important than winning. If you never lose, you'll never know what hit you when you AREN'T a kid anymore and reality sets in.

I passed the bar the first try. I'm not a genius, but I was reasonably "popular" in high school and college too (in addition to being quite possibly the greatest test taker of all time (Prom court too, even though I lost... still bitter about that, but at least they didn't make EVERYONE king to not hurt feelings =))). I had plenty of friends, despite being a know-it-all, and had plenty of people who didn't like me too. The difference is, I didn't care that they didn't like me. The people who do care about who likes them are also generally not very popular (funny how that works).

Life isn't fair. Life is mostly about dealing with adversity and celebrating the victories when they occur. Kids can only be protected from this for so long, and a certain amount of exposure is probably a GOOD thing as long as it's in moderation. The smarter they are, the less of this they'll deal with.

All I'm saying is, being smart doesn't mean you'll be picked on or that you won't be liked. That has more to do with who you are. I like to think I am proof of that, but it's debateble (the smart part haha...).

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
By 3 1/2 she was doing 1st Grade level math and reading. Sure she may have done this without her learning apps, but they sure didnt hurt.

If she hadn't been using that iPod Touch, she'd now by teaching graduate-level physics.

MacScott

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
Indiana
Yesterday, I took my toddler grandson out to the backyard where we picked cherries off the tree and ate them. Then we watched a squirrel which really seemed to interest him.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I would never in a million years give my future toddlers tablets or ipods. I would rather them go outside and play or socialize with other children. Much better than not moving and staring at a goddamn screen. I know I'm not a parent, but there's no way in hell I would let my toddler get hooked on electronics at such a young age. It's a pretty crappy habit, and I'll never understand why parents would want to start by getting their toddlers hooked so early. A 2 year old with an iPad? What the hell? Go on a play date or something. It's like some parents are relying on electronics to do the teaching. The same goes for TV. Yes, I'm judging you.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Amazing a 21/2 year old needing an iPod. Buy the little darling a dolly and some blocks to play with and drop the high tech idea or she'll grow like those other morons today who are glued to their phones and texting and sexting like zombies. But I guess mommy fits into the same category.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Large amounts of TV is more likely to rot the brain than iPad or iPod use, provided the parent loads it with nothing but educational apps. It would be better for a child to sit and use the iPad rather than sitting and playing age-innapropriate video games on Xbox live, I know 5 year olds that sit and play call of duty on Xbox live so the iPad with educational apps seems like the lesser of the 2 evils. Call of duty is a great babysitter for kids which a lot of parents buy for their kids around here without knowing the consequences. If a parent is going to plop their toddler in Front of the tube all day it would be better if they had some iPad use in there as well.

It would be more productive for a child sitting in a waiting room to be playing with an educational app on an iPad rather than to just sit and wait and do nothing while being there.

jread

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
I bought a 4th gen iPod Touch for my daughter last December when she was about 2 1/2. We have really bad traffic here, so my commute to her daycare every morning is about 45-minutes (same in the afternoon). She plays with her iPod in the car since that's about all there is for her to do. I only load educational apps on it (Duck Duck Moose makes some great ones) and she really enjoys playing them. She has learned a lot of new words, as well as increased her math skills, so I definitely see a lot of benefit from it. She would probably be on it a lot more but I only allow her to play with it when we are in the car. When we're home, we're outside in the sun doing something active :)

bluez3

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
I can't believe people still take the all or nothing approach to kids and gadgets. there is no reason they cannot be balanced with outdoor play and electronic toys. that's just a lazy parent not paying attention to their children or short sighted person who cannot understand moderation and self control.

at age 2 they are already pretty tuned in and curious on how to do stuff, so I wouldn't sell them short and say they are too young to play with gadgets.

key thing is, you are still the parent! you set the limits and you decide when and how long they can play with it. anything less and you are not doing your job. let them tantrum when you take it away. let them demonstrate they are being good before you let them use it. its up to you to recognize any imbalance in the activities they do and curb that if you feel its unhealthy or anti social.

as for what to do about getting a cheap one I looked for an open box deal at a local bestbuy then negotiated it down. it worked because a few months ago I got a 4th gen 32gig for less than $150. it had some scuffs so I don't feel bad if it gets more, and I put it in a lifeproof case anyway so it doesn't get too mashed up and spilt milk doesn't trip moisture sensors.

I'd much rather spend my money on that combo than the litany of leapfrog/vetch gadgets and the outrageously expensive expansion cartridges they try to sell.

jread

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
I'd much rather spend my money on that combo than the litany of leapfrog/vetch gadgets and the outrageously expensive expansion cartridges they try to sell.

This is exactly why I went with the iPod Touch for my daughter. I bought it cheaper than I could have bought an Innotab or something similar, and I pay $0.99 (or nothing) apiece for apps that are superior to anything on the Innotab (and are constantly updated with new content), while the Innotab cartridges are around $25.00 apiece, with worse graphics and performance, and far less content.

LilCat

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
I would never in a million years give my future toddlers tablets or ipods. I would rather them go outside and play or socialize with other children. Much better than not moving and staring at a goddamn screen. I know I'm not a parent, but there's no way in hell I would let my toddler get hooked on electronics at such a young age. It's a pretty crappy habit, and I'll never understand why parents would want to start by getting their toddlers hooked so early. A 2 year old with an iPad? What the hell? Go on a play date or something. It's like some parents are relying on electronics to do the teaching. The same goes for TV. Yes, I'm judging you.

It was my husband that said we gave our 2 year old the ipad (she's 3 now). We have play dates every weekday and she is in preschool during the school year, not just staring at a screen all the time. I used to think like you ("I refuse to but toys that talk to my kids! I refuse to be one of 'those' parents!") but then I had a 2 year old and I changed my tune REAL quick, haha! It keeps them quiet at the doctor or in the car.

Live and let live. You'll be much happier in life :)

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
It was my husband that said we gave our 2 year old the ipad (she's 3 now). We have play dates every weekday and she is in preschool during the school year, not just staring at a screen all the time. I used to think like you ("I refuse to but toys that talk to my kids! I refuse to be one of 'those' parents!") but then I had a 2 year old and I changed my tune REAL quick, haha! It keeps them quiet at the doctor or in the car.

People can do whatever they want.

----------

I'm just saying that I don't get why parents start out by getting their kids hooked on electronics at such a young age.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.