Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
There, I said.

I know, I know, people have different needs when it comes to cases, but I've tried a TON.

I've tried Incipio, Griffin Reveal (sucks ASS!), the Griffin Reveal Etch (also sucks a TON), Gear 4 tire track (not bad but hard to press buttons through rubber), the Apple Bumper, a few off-brand cases, and now, finally, I BOUGHT the Speck Pixelskin HD.

I wish I'd gotten it through the iPhone 4 free case program instead of the Reveal Etch Griffin case.

This case is excellent. Flash works great, buttons not hard to press. Well made, does the job, quite sleek, and definitely got the build quality to match.

I highly recommend this case to anyone who wants good side, top, bottom, and back protection, easy-to-press buttons INCLUDING the vibrate switch (looking at you - Bumper!) while leaving the screen open to actual use!

A+, Speck, A+!

**EDIT** **EDIT** August 26, 2010

More and more reports are coming in of the Revision 2 Speck Pixelskin HD case being problematic. Different feeling, hard-to-press buttons etc. I suggest if you want a revision 1 case, that you go to a store to pick one out while they still exist.

**EDIT ** EDIT** September 13, 2010

More and more people are getting their Revision 2 cases replaced for "working" Revision 2 cases, so this case goes back to being the best case, like evar! :D

**EDIT** EDIT** September 23, 2010

Speck got my replacement out in 2 days with the bigger flash cutout. Excellent support/service. Even came with a free set of screen protectors. Very nice!

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I have their PixelSkin and I can say their build quality is top-notch. My HD version is coming in the mail later in the month. Glad to hear that others like it.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
You won't be disappointed. Thank you, Speck, for making perfect cutouts for the speakers, and keeping the rest of the phone protected.

Oh, and letting us use our own accessories (looking at you again, Apple...).

Steel28

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
You won't be disappointed. Thank you, Speck, for making perfect cutouts for the speakers, and keeping the rest of the phone protected.

Oh, and letting us use our own accessories (looking at you again, Apple...).

I'm in Canada and couldn't wait untill October 4th (that's when apple said my pixelskin HD would be shipped through free case program even though I've ordered it on July 30th). So I bought one locally and changed my order to bumper. Really like the speck but will use bumper as well.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
Mine says it will ship on September 3rd from Apple! I don't know if I'm going to use it, but I have been hearing nothing but good things about it.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
OK here you go. Sorry for the terrible white balancing. I'm using my wife's iPhone 4, and we all know how that does indoor.... :D

As you can see, the case just fits perfectly. And the back is really nicely textured. Yes, it's simple, but what it does it does brilliantly, and no other case does THIS as well.

photo5-3.jpg

photo4-7.jpg

photo3-12.jpg

photo2-18.jpg

Macnator

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
Canada
I chose the Speck Pixelskin HD from the Case Program. I really like the look of it and I read a few reviews and watched a couple videos and decided to pick this one.

I bought a case the day I got my iPhone 4 because I didn't want to be without a case while waiting 3-5 weeks or however long it takes for it to get here. The one I bought is similar to the Speck Pixelskin HD, at least when comparing pictures, when I get it I will find out how it feels, looks etc.

halisray

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2009
MTL
so with this case program, we can choose our own cases? is this using that app that you have to get?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It's amazing how many cases out there "are like the Pixelskin" case. In fact, I gravitate toward that style completely. None of them are as good, though, as the Speck iteration.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
so with this case program, we can choose our own cases? is this using that app that you have to get?

Yes but there's a limited selection. A couple from Speck, a few from Griffin, etc. Mine isn't supposed to get here until October 5 :(

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
it looks like they didn't fix the hole for the camera flash like other case makers have done. if you like this type of case, i recommend you look into the Incipio NGP.

AC202

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
I ordered that from the program, and very glad I did.

I have BSE skins on the side and back, and SGP Oleo on front, do you think this case would be too snug fit to keep the skins on? I'd be willing to take of the sides, but I hope I wouldn't have to bother with the back and front if possible.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
This case is very good. Another that is similar to it (actually just like it) is the Speck Geometric (same company, obviously). It's the same base case (same material, same fit, same..everything) with a different back pattern/design. Right now, they are both my favorite cases.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
better than the NGP matte?

I like the look of the incipio better....

Incase slider seems like the best case functionality-wise but seems like it would be too bulky...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Question, why'd you hate the reveals so much?

The Reveal with the plastic back drew in too much dust and gets scratched to all heck too easily.

The Reveal Etch is the flimsiest piece of crap ever, and the way it wraps around the front is so flimsy it doesn't sit straight, so it looks just... crooked and wobbly down the front of the phone. Yuck! That's the case I picked from the Apple case program, and I hate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.