Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

143707-verizon_ipad_streaming_500.jpg

NewTeeVee reports that Verizon has announced plans for an iPad application that will allow subscribers to its FiOS television and Internet service to stream live television on their iPads. While availability will at least initially be limited to connecting via Wi-Fi to the customer's home Internet connection, the plans show the willingness of cable companies to embrace alternative viewing options beyond the fixed-location television set.
Verizon unveiled a series of new video applications today, including an upcoming iPad app that will allow FiOS subscribers to watch the same linear programming that is available on their TV screens on their tablet devices. The new app is expected to be rolled out early next year and Verizon expects to have all of its content partners on board by the time the app launches.
According to the report, the technology behind the streaming application is fully developed, and Verizon is now working with content providers to make sure that they are on board with the plans. Verizon is not expecting any difficulties with providers, as the service would simply treat the iPad as another television in the customer's home and be covered under existing contracts with the content providers.

Article Link: Verizon to Offer Live TV Streaming to iPad, Limited to Local Wi-Fi Networks

murkurb

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
As with all subscription based apps on the iPad, the success of a Verizon app streaming live tv will depend on the price. I'd be happy to pay if it was worth it. We shall see.

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
hmmm, early next year. to go along w/ the new ipads and iphones they are possibly getting in january? :rolleyes:

deenybird

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
sounds like this could be a nice feature that will help to make the cost of their monthly service more bearable

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
hmmm, early next year. to go along w/ the new ipads and iphones they are possibly getting in january? :rolleyes:

Yeah... just something more to fuel the rumors. Jobs hates Verizon almost as much as he hates Adobe or Blu-ray. I don't see an iPhone or iPad coming to them unless Apple feels its market share is really threatened. It could be years at this point. Who knows?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If the service uses your home internet connection to verify your account--and you must use it at home-- how is that a big deal at all? If your at home why wouldn't you watch cable on your TV?

It would be great if you could use it remotely however.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
How much extra..

will this add to your existing FIOS TV/Internet bill? The service is not likely to be free. And if it's via wi-fi, do you have to start worrying about exceeding your internet caps?

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
I get the impression that this will be free for FIOS users, which is good, because I'm a FIOS user. :D

In reality though, it's really nothing special. The TV comes through the same cable as the Internet... so in reality its just going to be the wireless router pushing data to your iPad, instead of the cable pushing to your DVR/Receiver->TV. I don't see any big changes, or reasoning for extra charges, but, knowing Verizon, they'll tack on a charge, even though it doesn't cost them a dime.

Tibs066

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2005
Indiana
TV on ipad

This is just a stupid idea if they are going to just allow you to do it on wifi and only on your local network.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
As with all subscription based apps on the iPad, the success of a Verizon app streaming live tv will depend on the price. I'd be happy to pay if it was worth it. We shall see.

It's the price of FIOS subscription, i.e. around $100

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
This is just a stupid idea if they are going to just allow you to do it on wifi and only on your local network.

It's only on your local network because then they don't need any new hardware... if they did it via access through the general net, then they would need new hardware, and therefore, you would incur a pretty hefty monthly fee...

EDIT: Also, JB would only allow this for your iPhone... people seem to forget that this isn't going to be a net-wide service. Jailbreak will NOT enable this for other devices, as it reads, since fiber -> your house -> your router/modem -> your ipad. For the regular TV route its fiber -> your house -> DVR/Receiver -> TV. No amount of jailbreaking can transcend physical limits, that is, its not broadcasted over the internet.

Essentially view it as you being on Verizon's subnet, with that subnet being cut off from the general net, ie a private network. Verizon broadcasts like a server, you're the client, you can contact the server, but there's no server->outside access for TV broadcasting, despite it being on the same fiber. Your Internet DOES go through, however, but TV =/= Internet connection. Therefore it's impossible for a JB to enable this over anything but a local, home network of a house with FiOS.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Cool, I can still sit on the couch and watch some TV on the iPad should my wife choose to watch Idol, SYTYCD, etc. I won't need to be "banished" to the bedroom. :)

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Jobs hates Verizon almost as much as he hates Adobe or Blu-ray.

Don't know about that. They were the first company that SJ approached. Ok, so at the time they didn't jump on his business proposition. But it's all water under the bridge now. SJ needs Verizon in order to sell more iPhones and to halt the growth of Android-based devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.