Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Yeah... just something more to fuel the rumors. Jobs hates Verizon almost as much as he hates Adobe or Blu-ray. I don't see an iPhone or iPad coming to them unless Apple feels its market share is really threatened. It could be years at this point. Who knows?

There's a difference. Not adding blu-ray on Macs or Flash on iOS devices doesn't really hurt Apple. Not many people will NOT buy an iPhone or Mac because of those things, but A LOT of people won't buy an iPhone because of AT&T. So there IS more motivation to work with Verizon than the other two things, rather Jobs hates Verizon or not. Not saying there will be a Verizon iPhone, just saying there is more reason to look past the hate for Verizon than there is for the other two issues you mentioned.

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
There's a difference. Not adding blu-ray on Macs or Flash on iOS devices doesn't really hurt Apple. Not many people will NOT buy an iPhone or Mac because of those things, but A LOT of people won't buy an iPhone because of AT&T. So there IS more motivation to work with Verizon than the other two things, rather Jobs hates Verizon or not. Not saying there will be a Verizon iPhone, just saying there is more reason to look past the hate for Verizon than there is for the other two issues you mentioned.

Well said. Jobs isn't going to let any amount of bad feelings from past experiences affect his business decisions. Verizon or (insert any other major carrier) iPhone is what Apple needs at this point in time. I'm sure Steve can swallow whatever pride may exist in this case in exchange for an even fatter wallet.

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
hmmm, early next year. to go along w/ the new ipads and iphones they are possibly getting in january? :rolleyes:

I'm of the opinion that the Apple product that Verizon launches in January will be... yes, an iPad... everyone will cry. We'll have to wait for the iPhone 5 in June/July for another shot at the Verizon iPhone coming to fruition.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
And where the hell is ATT? What have they done?:mad:

You do realize ATT doesn't provide TV, right?....

You also know that Verizon Wireless and Verizon TV/Internet are two different companies, right?....

As it's been said, this isn't over wireless, this isn't over the Internet, ITS FREAKING LOCAL NETWORK ONLY, JUST LIKE TV. The only difference is instead of cable -> DVR -> TV its going to be cable -> router -> iPad.

ChrisB1

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
You can already do this with the ELGATO tuner hooked up to your computer and EyeTV app on an iPhone/iPad. Perhaps the Verizon version will work better.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

You also know that Verizon Wireless and Verizon TV/Internet are two different companies, right?....

As it's been said, this isn't over wireless, this isn't over the Internet, ITS FREAKING LOCAL NETWORK ONLY, JUST LIKE TV. The only difference is instead of cable -> DVR -> TV its going to be cable -> router -> iPad.

ATT provides TV. Look up AT&T U-Verse.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
And where the hell is ATT? What have they done?:mad:

Way to just hate on them for no reason. If you have At&t Uverse they updated their iphone/ipad app about 2 weeks ago to where it has the ability to use a catalogue which you can browse through and download directly to either your iphone or ipad for remote viewing off a network and you can download over 3g as well. Its not the same and has trade offs like not every show is available like the verizion app might be, but its not tied to your home network for view. So both have good parts and bad.

djlu

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2005
NY
Well said. Jobs isn't going to let any amount of bad feelings from past experiences affect his business decisions. Verizon or (insert any other major carrier) iPhone is what Apple needs at this point in time. I'm sure Steve can swallow whatever pride may exist in this case in exchange for an even fatter wallet.

I agree and I'm not sure this antipathy is one way. I remember the early days of FIOS in my area that Verizon was offering free software (I think it was Microsoft Office home edition) to sign-up, if you were a Mac user you got nothing.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Don't know about that. They were the first company that SJ approached. Ok, so at the time they didn't jump on his business proposition. But it's all water under the bridge now. SJ needs Verizon in order to sell more iPhones and to halt the growth of Android-based devices.

Yes I believe this to be true. If you put the iPhone on Verizon, it will give customers the option. And me being one of them, I would rather have an iPhone.

I hope this app coins the introduction of the iPad through Verizon.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
It's only on your local network because then they don't need any new hardware... if they did it via access through the general net, then they would need new hardware, and therefore, you would incur a pretty hefty monthly fee...

EDIT: Also, JB would only allow this for your iPhone... people seem to forget that this isn't going to be a net-wide service. Jailbreak will NOT enable this for other devices, as it reads, since fiber -> your house -> your router/modem -> your ipad. For the regular TV route its fiber -> your house -> DVR/Receiver -> TV. No amount of jailbreaking can transcend physical limits, that is, its not broadcasted over the internet.

Essentially view it as you being on Verizon's subnet, with that subnet being cut off from the general net, ie a private network. Verizon broadcasts like a server, you're the client, you can contact the server, but there's no server->outside access for TV broadcasting, despite it being on the same fiber. Your Internet DOES go through, however, but TV =/= Internet connection. Therefore it's impossible for a JB to enable this over anything but a local, home network of a house with FiOS.

As I was told by the FiOS installers when I signed up, "Our router needs to distribute IP addresses to each set top box and thats how you get all the content on your TV without any cable cards"

I guess it will just make the iPad another "STB"
Example below

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-18 at 3.36.35 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-08-18 at 3.36.35 PM.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 199

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

Educate yourself before you post.

AT&T has Uverse and FiOS works like this.

ONT > Router > DVR (or STB) > TV

with the iPad it would be

ONT > Router > iPad

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
man this is another reason to buy an ipad, except who will hold it for me to watch tv so my arms don't get tired?

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
actually it is an HBO app and not Comcast (yet)

Comcast gets HBO on iPad also!

Comcast has vaporishly announced it is "coming" but nothing specific. I have my bets that the HBO one will be out first. Comcast better hurry, as this is one of the few reasons folks may opt to keep paying the ridiculous fees for cable...
myself included.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Not everyone has a TV in every room.

I still don't see why one wouldn't get up to walk a few paces to where your TV is at and have a much better viewing experience. This is another novelty to show off to friends and then never use. I suppose if you are in a vast mansion, and the TV is in the East wing and you are in the West wing with your iPad--then I guess its useful. :)

Of course, they are probably thinking of people with iPads who may try to connect to a friend or relative's cable connection without having service themselves.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This is just a stupid idea if they are going to just allow you to do it on wifi and only on your local network.

Not everyone has a TV in every room.

Ever stayed in a hotel on business? I say business because on vacation I rarely see my hotel but on business I battle between reruns of law and order, CSI, and criminal minds. I would LOVE to be away from home, on wifi, with TV that extends past the aforementioned shows.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
**** verizon
now im stuck with frontier since verizon sold off half of the fios costumers to them :mad:

I don't expect frontier to do anything inovative to fios just let it sit there and make them money like the rest of the cable companies.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I still don't see why one wouldn't get up to walk a few paces to where your TV is at and have a much better viewing experience. This is another novelty to show off to friends and then never use. I suppose if you are in a vast mansion, and the TV is in the East wing and you are in the West wing with your iPad--then I guess its useful. :)

Of course, they are probably thinking of people with iPads who may try to connect to a friend or relative's cable connection without having service themselves.

nah....this is for people who already subscribe to FIOS or plan to do so anyway. It's just a nice gimmick you get for free in addition to your $100/month subscription to FIOS.

But it's nice in a way that you can watch TV in your backyard or on the balcony or at the pool.

It also allows to easily share the TV with your kids, room mates, neighbours as long as they have an iPad and you're willing to give them access.

But nothing earth shattering. Just a nice add on the could make some people switch from comcast to FIOS.

ckd

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
I might care, if Verizon showed any signs of offering FiOS in my area. After all it's not like anyone in the same city as MIT might want a fast Internet connection, right?

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
Does the timing seem coincidental to anyone else that these very TV-centric apps are all being announced for the iPad only weeks before the usual iPod event. Perhaps in advance of an iOS based Apple TV... Dare to dream.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Educate yourself before you post.

AT&T has Uverse
I stand corrected, three times over :D. I was unaware of U-verse, probably because it's not available in my area; just Comcast and Verizon really. However, I do see myself as rather educated about the system itself.

ONT > Router > DVR (or STB) > TV

with the iPad it would be

ONT > Router > iPad
You do realize this is exactly what I said right? "Cable" is the assumed Coax you're using for video, which can also be used for Internet. Of course there's the ONT, but I wasn't getting that specific, since the ONT varies per business, residence, etc. Since most people don't have cat-5 in their house, they use Coax instead, and some ONT also have plain telephone lines, but that doesn't matter here. You also only need the router for the TV route for certain functions; Verizon doesn't broadcast everything as IPTV, most of it is QAM. ATT's uverse apparently is 100% IPTV, which means you would need a router 100% of the time.

What I'm curious about is how they're going to work the wireless broadcast system; that is they will probably allow IPTV traffic through the router onto the local subnet, but does that now mean that we have to get new routers? I imagine the NAT traversal to be a pain, I mean the router they supplied me eons ago didn't do any IP Protocol filtering at all, only port-based NAT traversal and DMZ functionality. I'm not too well versed as to the specifics of IPTV, it appears to use IGMP v2 or 3 for IPv4 for live TV, and RTSP for VOD. I already know IGMP didn't play nice with the NAT previously, so would they be providing new routers? I mean VOD would come through probably on TCP 554, but most people actively block IGMP...

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out, network wise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.