Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArkabaS

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
The Moon
Hey everyone,

I just started using Mac OS 10.3.6 a few days ago.

Everything is perfect expect for one thing. Neither Safari nor Finder recognizes the back/forward keys of my generic 5-button laser mouse. Right, left, and middle mouse work great, but the addition of functional back/forward keys would be EXCELLENT in programs like Safari.

How can I assign actions to the back and forward mouse buttons?? Do I need to install 3rd party drivers or programs?? Will the change be global or specific to programs like Safari??

Thanks for any response.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I think any App can make special use of extra mouse buttons if they are programmed to do so.

Other than that I know that you can assign extra mouse buttons to activate Exposé in different ways. But that's the only global option for this that I know about.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
For what it's worth, my kensington mouse has it's own drivers that can be downloaded from their website. Perhaps the maker of your mouse has the same arrangement.

ArkabaS

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
The Moon
Thanks for the help everyone. My problem is now fixed. Apparently "A4 Tech" is not such a generic company. Their website had a great Mac OS X driver for my mouse (a little buggy interface but it does the job). I probably should have looked for drivers before posting here :rolleyes:, but I thought that maybe Mac OS 10 had already implemented a 5-button mouse scheme.

By the way, why is Apple still making one button mouses?? I know they love tradition and everything, but come on, it's 2004. Their should be a petition asking to "upgrade" the classic one-button mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.