Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
My black MacBook 2.0 from 2006 is working fine except for the finicky cable between the computer and screen. I would like to add an external screen and am eyeing a 20" Cinema Display on Craigslist. The seller says it comes with a ADC/DVI power adapter.

Will this monitor work seamlessly with my MacBook?
What cables or cords should be included with the monitor?
What cables, adapters, etc. will I need?

Vintage

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That display will work nicely with that Macbook. You'll need a mini-DVI to DVI adapter for the ADC-DVI adapter to plug into.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Thanks, this is very helpful. Actually I do have one of those adapters from unsuccessfully trying to hook that MacBook to our TV. I suppose I'll need another cable of some sort since that adapter is only a few inches long.

What should come with the monitor? I saw on eBay that some said "power brick" not included.

Vintage

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The ADC-DVI adapter includes power for the screen as has a rather long DVI male cable so that it can easily plug into the short mini-DVI adapter. Just checking, but this is one of the clear acrylic Apple G4 era displays.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That is so very worth it. Just for the adapter alone. They do indeed go for about $75-$85 on eBay. Although their price may start falling as Apple finally dropped support for those beautiful displays with 10.9.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
I picked up the display, cables and "power brick" this evening. Problem is that I can't get any sign of life out of it. Seller told me the the adapter was for connecting it to a PC, but I'm using everything he sent me. Am I hooking something up wrong?

1. Power cord from receptacle and plugged into "brick".
2. Cable attached to "brick" and other end (male) lugs into one of three cables coming out of adapter.
3. Second of those three cables attaches to my apple-mini-dvi-to-dvi-adapter, which then plugs into my MacBook.
4. Third of those three cables has a USB plug which I plugged into my MacBook. 5. Other end of the three cable contraption plugs into the cable coming from the back of the monitor.

I did find the power button on the bottom of the screen. It only pushes in slightly. No significant click. Is that the way it should work?

When I go to System Preferences (10.6.8.), click on "Displays" and then click on the "Detect Displays" button, nothing happens.

Anything I am doing wrong or anything else I should be doing? Any suggestions for next steps or ways to test the various parts?

This screen is larger than I was expecting. I just measured it now as I am writing and it is 22". I also just checked and see that this was the predecessor to the 20" and was sold 1999 and 2000. Is there a compatibility issue?

Vintage

As you can tell by my questions and my username, when it comes to computers I am a few pixels short of a full screen, so your help is greatly appreciated.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Pretty sure it is the ADC
3 x 10 pins in one block and then four pins in a square with a horizontal tab in that square. Oval piece around them has a slight notch protruding in the middle of the top/bottom side.

Vintage

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
This is the ADC cable:
url.jpg

This is the ADC-DVI adapter:
appledvitoadcadapter1.jpg

These are the things you have?

The power button on ADC screens is a capacitive button that doesn't do anything when connected to a ADC-DVI adapter. Does the USB part of System Profiler show the screen or adapter connected to it?

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Yes, that is the ADC cable.
No, the ADC-DVI adapter is a much larger piece - 5.5" x 7" x 2".

Thanks for your responses. My next response will be tomorrow.

Vintage

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Is this the power supply?
661-2455.jpg

If it is, you've got a Dr. Bott ADC-DVI adapter. Those are a bit more touchy than the official Apple ones.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Yes, that is my power supply! It has a "Dr. Bott" sticker on the end, but also a small Apple logo on top, as does your pic, and on the bottom it says "Apple 205W Power Adapter." What exactly do you mean by "touchy"?

I'll try to attach a pic of the set-up.

Vintage

----------

Sorry, spent 45 minutes trying to attach pic, but can't figure out how to get it from being shown under Attach Files /Manage Attachments to actually appear in this post.

Vintage

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The power supply for those is actually a G4 Cube power supply. That's why there's an Apple logo on it. They're touchy because they're a simple physical adapter. Unlike the Apple ones that have a few extra chips in them, these tend to not work with newer Intell Macs as well. When you touch the display's power button when everything is hooked up, does it light up for a few seconds then fade out? Do you have another computer to test the screen with? The power supply may be failing or dead. They're reaching 13 years old and have started to show signs of age for Cube users.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
No hint of any life when trying to turn on or at any other time.

I don't have any other computer I could try, but am hoping a friend can stop by....

Vintage

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'd suggest testing the power supply. Look up how to test a G4 Cube power supply. You could also try the hair dryer trick to see if it'll live again.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
The hair dryer trick worked! I'm guessing this is a temporary fix right? Will it always need to be heated up in order to start?

Thanks for your assistance!

Vintage

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It is a temporary fix. If I recall correctly it has to do with cold solder joints or a bad capacitor. You can fix it two ways: Get a new G4 Cube power supply or open the one you have and repair it. Just know that if you open that one, you may not be able to get it looking nice again once closed. They're not designed to be serviceable.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Not working. DVIator is currently in pieces on my table top. Does anyone have a circuit diagram or photo to identify these inside parts, especially capacitor.

Vintage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.