Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hans_Gruber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
Hi there,

ever since upgrading to iOS 10.1.1, every time I unlock my 6S Plus the GPS icon will be on and it will stay on for at least a minute before it goes away. I keep apps I want to use the GPS set to - "While using the app" in my privacy settings and do not have anything set to "Always". I also have background app refresh turned off and the GPS icon will be on even when there are no apps running.

Does anyone else get this?

teddybearstand

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Check your system services. I have the status bar icon set to off, because it usually checks quite often.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi there,

ever since upgrading to iOS 10.1.1, every time I unlock my 6S Plus the GPS icon will be on and it will stay on for at least a minute before it goes away. I keep apps I want to use the GPS set to - "While using the app" in my privacy settings and do not have anything set to "Always". I also have background app refresh turned off and the GPS icon will be on even when there are no apps running.

Does anyone else get this?

Might be the weather app. Check system services.

Hans_Gruber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
Might be the weather app. Check system services.

I actually have the weather app set to "Never"

in my system services there are 2 icons that are purple meaning they have been recently used, compass calibration and location based alerts so I guess probably these.

Is the status bar icon option for system services something new to iOS 10.1? When I see it on all the time I just feel like it's draining my battery

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I actually have the weather app set to "Never"

in my system services there are 2 icons that are purple meaning they have been recently used, compass calibration and location based alerts so I guess probably these.

Is the status bar icon option for system services something new to iOS 10.1? When I see it on all the time I just feel like it's draining my battery

You can turn off the locatio based alerts if you want. I have that off.

Hans_Gruber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
I found the culprit, it's compass calibration that's always on, i'll disable it for now and try restoring. Thanks!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I found the culprit, it's compass calibration that's always on, i'll disable it for now and try restoring. Thanks!

If you turn off compass calibration you can no longer use the compass app or the compass in maps.

Hans_Gruber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
If you turn off compass calibration you can no longer use the compass app or the compass in maps.

I guess i'll just turn it on when I use maps then. It shouldn't be on when I don't even have the maps application open.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I guess i'll just turn it on when I use maps then. It shouldn't be on when I don't even have the maps application open.

I have this happen every single time I turn my device on, but it has zero battery life effect, if that is what you are concerned about. Your talking about it powering on for seconds.

Hans_Gruber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
I have this happen every single time I turn my device on, but it has zero battery life effect, if that is what you are concerned about. Your talking about it powering on for seconds.

It's every time I unlock and it stays on for at least a minute before going away

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.