Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theloon

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Clean install here. I have none of your problems.

This should not be required if Apple wrote it's upgrade scripts correctly.

One of the whole reaons for having a long public beta program is to iron out this type problems with some decent coding...

Basically it's just sloppy, which appears to be where Apple is rapidly heading across their OS range.

#FAIL

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
This should not be required if Apple wrote it's upgrade scripts correctly.

One of the whole reaons for having a long public beta program is to iron out this type problems with some decent coding...

Basically it's just sloppy, which appears to be where Apple is rapidly heading across their OS range.

#FAIL

I've upgraded from PB1 through all the betas and upgraded to the full release and I've had no major problems.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
10.10.1 will probably be out in December.

Maybe for the final version of 10.10.1.

But the first beta of 10.9.1 was out on Nov. 15, 2013 and yosemite was released slightly earlier in the year than mavericks.

So I reckon we will see the first beta of 10.10.1 in November, maybe sooner rather than later in the month.

lifeboat1

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
Yosemite 10.10 Final Release

I ran first the beta then the final release in a Parallels VM, being a bit pessimistic about the first cut and nervous about upgrading my essential production machines, all very old but fairly high-specification.

So far, the VM is running trouble-free on just one core and 4Gb RAM. Although I don't much like the new flat look and some of the system menu changes it's probably the best new release since Leopard.

I need to keep current, so I'll wait a while and if there's no 10.10.1 soon I'll bite the bullet with a clean install, not upgrade.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
Maybe, but he wasn't trolling when he said 10.10 is buggy. Here are top 3 from my growing list:

Yosemite bugs:
- Mouse cursor lags heavily when Accessibility Zoomed: not related to Bluetooth, PRAM/NVRAM (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6624221)

- All-day events don’t show up in Notification Center (I mean seriously, it just defies logic!)

- Menubar icons flash due to redraw on changing Spaces (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6624155)

Generically speaking, over time the system starts slowing down and everything ranging from switching Desktops or invoking Mission Control to opening apps or even logging out becomes borderline unbearably slow, given specially all of this used to be perfect in Mavericks consistently.

This is one a clean install copy of Yosemite.

Jesus guys, i wasn´t trolling. Sorry i didn´t answer, to be honest i found it tiring to write all three bugs becasue i would have to go into detail.

Anyway, they are:
-Finder window when maximized, if you drag an icon the whole finder drags itself up, leaving a black banner on the bottom. Im at work, so no screenshot.
-Battery drain
- Some UI inconsistencies, but i guess that´s just bad design.
- Codesign issues, i coudlnt open some apps due to this, had to find a fix in a russian website.
- One more i forgot conncerning itunes, i found a fix shortly after, but it was annoying

Dont doubt the OP

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Has everyone checked their Time Machine backups to be sure the App is working correctly?
I checked mine, and Time Machine often won't let me access them.
Still working on figuring out what's going wrong.
This is NOT something you want to discover at a time of need.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I've installed mine over the top of Mavericks 10.9.5 and my MBP has been running the smoothest its ever been. I actually used to have frequent kernel panics under Mavericks but since launch day I haven't had a single one.

DDT

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
Jesus guys, i wasn´t trolling. Sorry i didn´t answer, to be honest i found it tiring to write all three bugs becasue i would have to go into detail.

Anyway, they are:
-Finder window when maximized, if you drag an icon the whole finder drags itself up, leaving a black banner on the bottom. Im at work, so no screenshot.
-Battery drain
- Some UI inconsistencies, but i guess that´s just bad design.
- Codesign issues, i coudlnt open some apps due to this, had to find a fix in a russian website.
- One more i forgot conncerning itunes, i found a fix shortly after, but it was annoying

Dont doubt the OP

What was your bug/fix for iTunes? I also have problems with iTunes, and could really use a fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChinaRye

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Washington, DC
I am having major issues with WIFI. Constantly dropping or very slow. I have found that if I turn off bluetooth, the speed issue goes away. But then I cannot use my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Very annoying.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
[*]Finder windows stranded by lack of radio buttons. Must relaunch finder to close window.

[*]Went to restart. No response. Went to shut down instead no response. Finally had to hard power off to shut down and power back up.

When you hit the green button, it'll do that, just go all the way to the top of the screen with the mouse until the bar reappears. Works similar to the hide dock. Be nice to have a choice between, full screen and expand to window.

Restarts do take awhile now, sadly. That along with some of the response windows not appearing all the time so you can continue with something you were doing -- they don't pop to front so they get hidden behing the app windows you are currently using.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
When you hit the green button, it'll do that, just go all the way to the top of the screen with the mouse until the bar reappears. Works similar to the hide dock. Be nice to have a choice between, full screen and expand to window.

Restarts do take awhile now, sadly. That along with some of the response windows not appearing all the time so you can continue with something you were doing -- they don't pop to front so they get hidden behing the app windows you are currently using.

No. I do know the difference between full screen and maximize. This issue I was having was sometimes finder windows would simply lose their top bar of radio buttons (in a non-full screen window. There was space all the way around the finder window and other apps running on that desktop. But I couldn't close the window. Not even with a command-W close command. And force-quit-relaunch finder did not work either.

When I then went to restart or shut down, the computer never responded. I had to hard kill it. It hasn't been a recurring problem, but it was a bug nonetheless. It has been fairly stable since then, but I am not sure if I will update my main machine yet. I haven't looked into app compatibility to see if I have any issues, as there is software on my iMac I don't run on the laptop.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
ETA of first update to Yosemite?

For a variety of reasons, I've held off updating to Yosemite. I know there's usually a relatively quick update to new OS releases to fix bugs, etc. At this point, is the first update to Yosemite likely to be days or weeks away? Thanks.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
But it was only 3 for the first beta of 10.9.1. So we may see the first 10.10.1 beta soon.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
First update to six weeks for Mavericks.

Wow, it was six weeks for Mavericks? It seems like it was quicker than that. Thanks for the reply.

Are people generally happy that they updated to Yosemite or should I hold off for the first update? The reports of internet problems/slowdowns for people using WiFi on MBPs are the only thing keeping me from updating.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
They finally did it.

Are people generally happy that they updated to Yosemite ?

Most people: yes.

Some people are positively crazy about the looks.

I'm much happier with Mavericks than it's possible to be with OS X 10.10.

When can we expect 10.10.1?

Some time before 3175.

Very likely before the end of 2014. Seriously, I hope that the most ridiculous of the appearance problems can be fixed by Apple, or worked around by third parties, before this year ends.

As an extra incentive to Apple: we can expect one of the two images below to enter into the public domain on 2015-01-01. A sensible response to customer feedback, from Apple, should discourage those customers from combining the two images in a way that ridicules Yosemite.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Seriously, I hope that the most ridiculous of the appearance problems can be fixed by Apple, or worked around by third parties, before this year ends

I suspect Apple have a view that whatever they release, the appearance changes will delight 20%, horrify 20% and the rest wont care either way. Even if they released the new OS with new function but with the same appearance the same split may apply as 20% were unhappy with the previous change and didnt get a change from that....

What the change does do is get the new OS talked about, discussed in the media etc but as far as "fixing" the appearance, Id suspect they fully understood the impact of those changes in the first place.

George Zip

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
Want to Upgrade but Production Mac Worries

My Mac is a production Mac -- I'm self employed, do all my production work on it for my clients -- so I always approach updates with caution. Usually I wait a few weeks and see what the buzz is regarding upgrading, and check Roaring Apps to see if my mainline apps are working as expected (Adobe CC, FileMaker Pro, then a handful of support apps).

FWIW, in my readings, the only consistent issues I've read about are:

• some are having issues with the install hanging; i.e., when you get to the "about a minute" portion, it will get appear to be stuck and actually take quite a bit longer than a minute
  • some are having issues with wifi after installation - but I've not read specifics as to if this is a general wifi issue or an issue with non-Apple wifi (or even specifically-Apple wifi, for that matter)

Again, not saying there are no other issues (such as the UI and launch issues mentioned here), just that these are the only two I'm seeing more consistently in the various forums and posts I'm reading.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
FWIW, in my readings, the only consistent issues I've read about are:

• some are having issues with the install hanging; i.e., when you get to the "about a minute" portion, it will get appear to be stuck and actually take quite a bit longer than a minute

Thanks for the feedback. I couldn't resist any longer, so I updated about 12 hours ago. I did encounter the problem/bug mentioned in the quote above, but I've learned over the years that the "time remaining" often is off by quite a bit, so I just let it keep going. (I'd say the "about a minute" was more like three to five minute; not a huge deal.

I didn't use the beta, so the first restart was kind of a shock to my senses, but Yosemite's appearance is growing on me. (The Finder and iTunes icons both still look kind of funky to me, though, while the date in the Calendar icon seems to be oddly off-center.)

Harry Muff

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
The only real problem I've experienced is the Finder graphical glitch which shows the window either as empty or with unclickable folders that have black blobs instead of text underneath.

Ironically, this happens on my modern 2013 rMBP but not not my 2006 Mac Pro with a Radeon 5770 card. Both clean installs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.