Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leftofseinfeld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Nashville
Well I probably should have waited before upgrading, it seems this happens every single time there is an update. My gmail account that is set up as an IMAP account with Apple Mail isn't pulling in the emails that are coming into that account. I get them on my iPhone. But not on Apple Mail.

Connection doctor says to check the user name and password. I went on there and they're right. The only odd thing I see in Mail>Preferences>Accounts is that on the outgoing mail server, it says offline. When I go into it, there is no password there. I type in the password. Close out of it. Then it reverts back to no password...

I doubt there is a fix yet, but posting in hopes that someone else has figured out a way to make it work.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Mine is broken immediately after the update as well, iPhone works fine. Mac Mail is such a disaster... I'll get to playing with it and see if I can fix it.

leftofseinfeld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Nashville
I think I got it to work. After the update happened it seems that the IMAP Path Prefix field was deleted.

So I went to Mail > Preferences > Accounts
Then the Advanced tab.

And The IMAP Path Prefix field is empty, so I put in "imap.gmail.com". It took me two-three times for it to work, the other times it would freeze. Now its repopulating the entire inbox, but the new email does seem to be coming in normally.

Hopefully that will be the only issue!

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I think I got it to work. After the update happened it seems that the IMAP Path Prefix field was deleted.

So I went to Mail > Preferences > Accounts
Then the Advanced tab.

And The IMAP Path Prefix field is empty, so I put in "imap.gmail.com". It took me two-three times for it to work, the other times it would freeze. Now its repopulating the entire inbox, but the new email does seem to be coming in normally.

Hopefully that will be the only issue!
I have five Gmail accounts, two of which are accounts at institutions that are using Gmail. All accounts have a blank IMAP Path Prefix field. I'm glad that fixed your issue, but I don't know that it's the "proper" solution for everyone.

Only one of my accounts had an issue after installation. Even though I'm somewhat disagreeing with your solution, I appreciate that you said it. In looking over the "advanced" tab, I noted that the problem account had "Automatically detect and maintain account settings" disabled, whereas all other accounts had it enabled. I had disabled it due to a bug introduced with OS X 10.10.3 in which the account kept requesting my username and password through OS X. Re-enabling it instantly fixed my connectivity issues.

skbt

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Well I probably should have waited before upgrading, it seems this happens every single time there is an update. My gmail account that is set up as an IMAP account with Apple Mail isn't pulling in the emails that are coming into that account. I get them on my iPhone. But not on Apple Mail.

Connection doctor says to check the user name and password. I went on there and they're right. The only odd thing I see in Mail>Preferences>Accounts is that on the outgoing mail server, it says offline. When I go into it, there is no password there. I type in the password. Close out of it. Then it reverts back to no password...

I doubt there is a fix yet, but posting in hopes that someone else has figured out a way to make it work.

The solution here worked for me:
https://miapple.me/fixing-mac-os-x-10-10-yosemite-gmail-bug-mail-app/#

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.