Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SIRmisterD

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Hi all,

Today I decided to upgrade to Sierra on my 4,1 MP, so I flashed the firmware to 5,1, and freshly installed Sierra. Everything has gone well until I went to install the latest web driver (367.15.10.15f03) with the latest CUDA driver (8.0.51) and swap out the GT 120 with my GTX 970 that I have been using on El Capitan. Anytime I try to boot using the 970, I get immediately put into a boot loop, and the MP eventually shuts itself off. I even tried adding "nvda_drv=1" to my boot-args, but the boot loop still persists.

I've tried disabling csrutil and then installing the web drivers, but no luck. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling web drivers, but no luck. I can boot just fine, with or without, the "nvda_drv=1" when using the GT120 card. Pretty much no matter what boot-args I set when using the GT120, it boots just fine. The minute I pop in the 970, the boot loop happens.

One thing that is odd, is that if I try to boot with only one of my monitors (the one I have using HDMI), it boots just fine. However, if I plug my other monitor (VGA with a DVI adapter) in, it immediately goes into a boot loop.

At this point, I'm completely stumped. I've had boot loops before, but they eventually loaded, they never shut down the computer all together. Does anyone have any ideas?

SIRmisterD

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Hi all,

Today I decided to upgrade to Sierra on my 4,1 MP, so I flashed the firmware to 5,1, and freshly installed Sierra. Everything has gone well until I went to install the latest web driver (367.15.10.15f03) with the latest CUDA driver (8.0.51) and swap out the GT 120 with my GTX 970 that I have been using on El Capitan. Anytime I try to boot using the 970, I get immediately put into a boot loop, and the MP eventually shuts itself off. I even tried adding "nvda_drv=1" to my boot-args, but the boot loop still persists.

I've tried disabling csrutil and then installing the web drivers, but no luck. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling web drivers, but no luck. I can boot just fine, with or without, the "nvda_drv=1" when using the GT120 card. Pretty much no matter what boot-args I set when using the GT120, it boots just fine. The minute I pop in the 970, the boot loop happens.

One thing that is odd, is that if I try to boot with only one of my monitors (the one I have using HDMI), it boots just fine. However, if I plug my other monitor (VGA with a DVI adapter) in, it immediately goes into a boot loop.

At this point, I'm completely stumped. I've had boot loops before, but they eventually loaded, they never shut down the computer all together. Does anyone have any ideas?

bump

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.