10.3.6 : dock shortcut to smb shares don't work anymore

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Palad1, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2004
    London, UK

Here's my setup:

• 802.11g router
    • Guilty : Athlon (XP sp1) with the following shares defined:
      • Mario
      • Toad
    • Bender: powerbook (panther 10.3.6)
    TCP/IP works flawlessly between the three of them.

When I was under 10.3.5, I created dock shortcuts to \\GUILTY\Mario and \\GUILTY\Toad by dragging the desktop icons representing these smb shares.

This way, I was able to mount these shares pretty quickly without having to press apple-K each and every time.

Now, under 10.3.6, if the shares are not already mounted when I click on the dock shortcuts, the whole finder gets stuck while the connection timeouts. I'm talking a good 50 seconds without dock/expose/finder reacting :eek:

I _did_ repair permissions and ran every periodic script under the sun. The console log does not yeld any error, and after 50 secs, I get a 'host unreacheable' dialog box. I deleted the shortcuts and created them again, to no avail...

Apple-K'ing works fine though...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Palad1, who seriously considers setting up a webdav server instead of smb...
  2. Palad1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2004
    London, UK

oops, I meant 10.3.7 instead of 10.3.6

sorry :rolleyes:
  3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    Hm, occasionally my shortcuts will crap out but if I delete them and make new ones they're OK. :confused: