Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lebnjay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
After installing 10.3.9 I have run into a troubling problem.
I noticed things were running rather slowly, and the fan on my powerbook was running full time. Checked activity monitor and a process named "lookupd" was taking all the remaining processing power, keeping me at 100% CPU usage.
I have reinstalled java, ran the security update again, repaired permissions, still the same problem.
I learned how to reset lookupd, which takes care of the problem for a number of hours, but then it returns. As root I run the command "kill -HUP pid" where pid is the process ID.
Does anyone know how to turn on logging for lookupd so I could figure out where it is hanging? I saw a few articles after a google search but could not figure it out.
Thanks for your guys help.
lebnjay

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Since installing 10.3.9, my eMac keeps crashing. I think Apple designed 10.3.9 to be buggy so you upgrade to Tiger. Bastards!!!

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
In the application "maintain" (and presumably other OS X maintenance utils) there's an option to "flush lookupd cache". Have you tried this?

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Same thing happened with 10.3.7 to 10.3.8. The solution was to upgrade from the combo update.

Have you tried installing 10.3.9 from the combo update?

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
lebnjay said:
After installing 10.3.9 I have run into a troubling problem.
I noticed things were running rather slowly, and the fan on my powerbook was running full time. Checked activity monitor and a process named "lookupd" was taking all the remaining processing power, keeping me at 100% CPU usage.
I have reinstalled java, ran the security update again, repaired permissions, still the same problem.
I learned how to reset lookupd, which takes care of the problem for a number of hours, but then it returns. As root I run the command "kill -HUP pid" where pid is the process ID.
Does anyone know how to turn on logging for lookupd so I could figure out where it is hanging? I saw a few articles after a google search but could not figure it out.
Thanks for your guys help.
lebnjay

Not exactly logging, but you can boot in verbose mode. Command-V I believe it is.

Secondly, the combined update does often solve a lot of things. See my FAQ:

http://www.macmaps.com/upgradefaq.html

lebnjay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I did download and run Onyx a bit over a day ago, I also downoaded Applejack (an awesome piece of software by the way) and ran that. Since then I have not seen the lookupd problem come back. I'm not sure it's fixed yet, but so far so good.
lebnjay

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
slooksterPSV said:
DL an run Onyx

I just downloaded the newest version of Onyx and upon first run it returned this error:

OnyX.app:Contents:Resources:Scripts:info:scpt wasn't found. (-35)

and

The variable Prefs is not defined. (-2753)

and

The variable LogOnyX is not defined. (-2753)

Any clues?

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
sorryiwasdreami said:
I just downloaded the newest version of Onyx and upon first run it returned this error:

OnyX.app:Contents:Resources:Scripts:info:scpt wasn't found. (-35)

and

The variable Prefs is not defined. (-2753)

and

The variable LogOnyX is not defined. (-2753)

Any clues?

Since LogOnyx could only be a variable assigned by Onyx itself, sounds like you encountered a bug in Onyx. Report it to the author.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.