Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
The title gives the explanation. 10.4.8 won't let my machine shut down. It just hangs at the screen wallpaper and hangs. :confused:

bradc

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2006
Canader eh
Yeah mine does the same, Mac Pro....it doesn't really matter since at that point it's ready to shutdown but it's a hassle.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
imacintel said:
The title gives the explanation. 10.4.8 won't let my machine shut down. It just hangs at the screen wallpaper and hangs. :confused:
My 24" iMac doesn't like to sleep anymore ...it hangs and looks like it starts to do the KP screen ...it dims ...but the multi text shutdown never shows up.

It's happened 3 times upon going into sleep.

beckfizzle

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2006
Denver, CO
After the restart after installing it my computer wouldnt start up. It did eventually though. It would just hang on the inital apple screen.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
imacintel said:
Repair permissions, verify disk, and fsck. Trash the Finder pref, then try.

Skotos

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2006
Fixing 10.4.8 Screensaver Hanging Bug

ChrisG said:
Repair permissions, verify disk, and fsck. Trash the Finder pref, then try.

I apologize in advance if this is totally obvious... but can anyone point to a step-by-step "How To" on how to do this? I'm not sure where to find the files/settings identified above.

Thanks in advance.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
A few other thing have actually gone wrong, and it may have fried my logic board. :(

New macbook.

phreakv6

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2006
FIXED for me!

i had this problem.. after the 10.4.8 update, when i shutdown my macbook pro, it would close finder and dock and stay showing the wallpaper. even giving it 12 hours wouldnt suffice for shutting it down. it just stood hanging there.

i did this..
sudo shutdown -h now

ofcourse this dint help but it showed what was the culprit. the kextd was refusing to close apparantly.

so killing kextd manually helped.
find the pid of kextd with the following command

ps aux | grep kextd

then

kill -9 kextd_pid

where kextd_pid is the pid you found with the first command. for me it is 27 always.

after you kill, you can shutdown the mbp from the applemenu or using
sudo shutdown -h now

shuts down cleanly... yay !

feralchimp

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
general OS bug or particular kext issue?

First off, wanted to add a "me too" on the 10.4.8 mac pro hang on restart/shutdown issue, and thanks to phreaky for tracing this to kextd. It's been frustrating to have the XP side of my machine behaving better than the OS X side. :eek:

I recall there being a pretty nasty kernel panic issue with the CiscoVPN and Parallels kexts in 10.4.7, so I'm wondering if this is related.
- - - -
After uninstalling the Parallels kexts (helper,hypervisor,Pvsnet,vmmain), my machine no longer hangs on restart or shutdown. I should note, though, that a) I don't think I was using the latest version of Parallels, b) this might not be Parallels "fault", per se, and c) I also ran a disk permissions repair (although it didn't seem to find errors in anything that *looked* related).

ymmv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.