Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I've installed 10.5.3 (...) Apple saying it's a DigiDesign issue, and DigiDesign saying it's an Apple issue (...) someone please tell me I'm not the only one!

Take it from someone who does not want to break any NDA's, it really has been an Apple issue and it seems 10.5.3 is finally the first acceptable OSX release (ProTools-wise at least).

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
I had the strangest problem with this update (PB 15" 1.5GHz): when it rebooted, it stayed on the grey apple/spinner startup screen indefinitely. Now that's not so weird. What was weird was that the volume controls worked, and the system alert sounded when I pressed cmnd-v. Except for the fact that pwr,return didn't shut it down, it was like it had gotten to the login screen, but the screen was having none of it. A hard reboot fixed it, no problems since.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I currently have 10.5.2. I was wondering when 10.5.4 comes out, can I upgrade to that without upgrading to 10.5.3 first? Just hearing too many problems.

I too was in doubt about upgrading, but I just went for it (at least in one of my macs), and fortunately it is all well :)

Thanks for explaining. I happen to be one of those revolutionaries that actually thinks competition is good for business, the marketplace, and the consumer, and that hardware monopolies are a bad thing. I know it goes against current fascist business models, but the times they are a-changing.

Perhaps it's a good thing that Apple isn't afraid of a little hardware competition; we might get a better product with more options and choices that actually meet the needs of more end users if companies are out there to meet those needs when Apple deigns not to. :apple:

I agree with ya there, competition = advancement. :cool:

James17

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
I upgraded my previous iMac to 10.5.3 before sending it to the successful buyer on eBay, I noticed the speed improvement in boot up and shut down times before I sent it. I bought a Macbook Pro at the Apple Store today, took it home, updated it to 10.5.3, installed all my applications etc and all I can say about my new laptop is SUPERB! Excellent OS, Amazing Laptop.

SJTV1

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
I had the strangest problem with this update (PB 15" 1.5GHz): when it rebooted, it stayed on the grey apple/spinner startup screen indefinitely. Now that's not so weird. What was weird was that the volume controls worked, and the system alert sounded when I pressed cmnd-v. Except for the fact that pwr,return didn't shut it down, it was like it had gotten to the login screen, but the screen was having none of it. A hard reboot fixed it, no problems since.
Interesting. Had same isue on MB, but not on MBP ...

rjp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Free economy and competition

Thanks for explaining. I happen to be one of those revolutionaries that actually thinks competition is good for business, the marketplace, and the consumer, and that hardware monopolies are a bad thing. I know it goes against current fascist business models, but the times they are a-changing.

Perhaps it's a good thing that Apple isn't afraid of a little hardware competition; we might get a better product with more options and choices that actually meet the needs of more end users if companies are out there to meet those needs when Apple deigns not to. :apple:

One of my favorite quotes on this matter is from Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. The second line refers to artificial leveling of the playing field such as the forced breakup of highly successful monopolies by governments, etc. I think the irony is delicious.

"A free economy cannot exist without competition.

Therefore, men must be forced to compete.

Therefore, we must control men in order to force them to be free."

mymacworld

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
after restarting mbp got stacked with installing 1 item configuring installation for an hour...then rebooted and got the same message...

i used the software update from system preferences...

what should i do?

mymacworld

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
I followed the steps and was able to install but when i reboot i got stacked with the apple logo...

what should i do now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.