Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I'm observing some interesting behaviour from the Leopard firewall... here's what my Firewall prefpane looks like:

9hi9l1.png

As you can see, I have explicitly blocked Firefox... yet I'm typing this post on Firefox 3.0.2 as we speak, and it is having no difficulty accessing the internet...

Am I missing something? What could be going on? I'm running 10.5.5

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
for whatever reason, and maybe I am wrong, but I have never had a lot of confidence in the 10.5 firewall. I think the 10.4 firewall worked better and was more effective.

I would recommend downloading the free "Wateroof" firewall. It works very well, but is a bit tricky to set up.

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I don't really have the wherewithal to get into something as hardcore as waterroof, I'd just like the OS X firewall to work as it should...

Does anyone know what's going on with it?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I don't really have the wherewithal to get into something as hardcore as waterroof, I'd just like the OS X firewall to work as it should...

I believe that "Block incoming connections" means that if a specific server on the www tried to access safari on your computer, the firewall will block it. It doesn't stop any program from accessing the outside though, which is why you don't see any effect.

Try blocking apache and see if you can access it.

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
How do I block Apache? Interestingly, if I set the firewall to "Allow only essential services", Firefox still has no trouble browsing the web

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007

ok, try noobproof, its the wateroof for noobs!

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Once again, I'd rather get the firewall working without third party addons...

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Once again, I'd rather get the firewall working without third party addons...

OK, good luck, I was trying to refrain from being less-than-nice about an aspect of os X, but the os X Leopard firewall SUCKS!, really it does.

If you are really into protecting yourself, learn a little bit about those two programs. It is not that difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.