Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaximusUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Hi.

I recently updated my ibook 1.33ghz 1.25gb ram from 10.5.0 to 10.5.8. I noticed a massive slow down after updating. Especially on youtube videos. They are now unwatchable. Before on 10.5.0 when I bench tested it, it was the same as tiger. now the bench tests on 10.5.8 are a lot lower than 10.5.0.

I wonder what the reason for this is? Has anyone else found this problem?

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
I have the same machine but with 1GB RAM.

Can't compare 10.5.0 to 10.5.8 'cos I went straight from Tiger and updated; but I can say that YouTube works fine on it. Especially if you use the HTML5 option.

Have you updated Safari?

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Hi.

I recently updated my ibook 1.33ghz 1.25gb ram from 10.5.0 to 10.5.8. I noticed a massive slow down after updating. Especially on youtube videos. They are now unwatchable. Before on 10.5.0 when I bench tested it, it was the same as tiger. now the bench tests on 10.5.8 are a lot lower than 10.5.0.

I wonder what the reason for this is? Has anyone else found this problem?

It might be the flash version. check what version you are running.
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

Also, try the HTML5 version of youtube to see if that helps.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
no i guess its the same problem as i have on my mini G4 1.42 ,1gb ram
i compare the operating systems with cars now
it originally shipped with panther
i would compare it with a BUGATTI VEYRON SS
bugatti-veyron-super-sport-sets-land-speed-jot-down-during-mph-2.jpg

high topspeed ,but only a 2 seater without a real boot , not that practical due to some software limitations , but perfect for older ppc Mac's to boost their performance

with tiger installed becomes a BRABUS ROCKET
brabus-rocket-titel.jpg

the fastest four door saloon in the world today , and very practical as still most of todays software runs on it

but if i run leopard 10.5.8 the same mini really becomes a citroen acadiane

citroen%20acadiane%20main.gif

very practical newest software will run but the speed is unbearable slow to use,under safari 5.1 for example its slower then my 700mhz iMac G3 running tiger with safari 4.1 when opening websites , but some others report different experiences, but in my opinion every 10.5 upgrade made leopard more and more optimized for intel, but i guess thats apples way of telling us "take your old ppc Mac's and put them in the skip and buy a new intel mac" :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.