Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkm9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Bright 63 year old non-tech woman here. Please don't inundate me with acronyms I'll have to look up. Speak simply. Thanks in advance.

Going on 3-month trip to include France, Prague & Barcelona. Will take both dinosaur MacBook Pro (2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) and iPad--to have flexibility re: photo storage options.

I want to watch Niner's on laptop using NFL Rewind.

Found a helpful site called Gadgetseed with good instructions on how to set up VPN, with a recommendation of a VPN source.
My questions are:

1) Has anyone done this before? With what results or issues?

2) What about iPads? How would that work if I wanted to choose playback source?

3) Will I need to negotiate ahead of time with Comcast to not incur outrageous roaming fees when I watch the games? Or, will it be expensive in any case?

4) Is there any reason I need to install 7.0 to do this?

Any additional tips will be appreciated.
Karen

P.S. Anyone know a way to watch preseason games not broadcast by NFL Rewind?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
If you're overseas in France you are eligible to buy the NFL's Gamepass subscription. Gamepass allows you to watch live streams of games as well as a weekly archive... it's pretty awesome. You can buy a team subscription or a weekly/monthly/season pass (although the weekly/monthly options seem most relevant to you).

kkm9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
If you're overseas in France you are eligible to buy the NFL's Gamepass subscription. Gamepass allows you to watch live streams of games as well as a weekly archive... it's pretty awesome. You can buy a team subscription or a weekly/monthly/season pass (although the weekly/monthly options seem most relevant to you).

What I want is 'NFL Rewind', which lets you watch the complete games after they're over, on your computer. 'Live' games when you're 9 hours ahead and moving around aren't all that useful.

My concerns are about the computer and cost details of doing this.

Anyhow, if anyone has an idea where I could find someone who's actually done this so I can query them, I'd really appreciate it. Or an idea of a better forum to ask in.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
The service you want isn't available in France because that would violate copyright and distribution laws. So you want to get around that, correct?

There are ways to use a proxy service to connect to a web site in the US from France, and then that US computer connects to Rewind, hence the "proxy." There's usually a fee charged. Search around; people set these up to view stuff in other countries (Brit expats for example so they can watch BBC in the US, which is otherwise not possible). Shopping is another example. I'd suggest you go to one of the sites that offers these services; set up is part of what you'll pay for.

kkm9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Thanks, Rob. I think big picture is beginning to dawn on me from research I've done, and I've figured out what I need to do. You confirm it.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
What I want is 'NFL Rewind', which lets you watch the complete games after they're over, on your computer. 'Live' games when you're 9 hours ahead and moving around aren't all that useful.

My concerns are about the computer and cost details of doing this.

Anyhow, if anyone has an idea where I could find someone who's actually done this so I can query them, I'd really appreciate it. Or an idea of a better forum to ask in.

:rolleyes: If you had actually read past the first sentence you would have noticed that I clearly stated that GamePass has an archive. Also, working through a proxy is going to be a terrible experience due to the limited bandwidth you'll get.

But you can do whatever you want. It doesn't seem like you've spent an appreciable amount of time overseas, so maybe you'll learn by experience that sometimes what you want is not the best way to actually get what you want.

kkm9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Sorry, Miles. You're right--I should have read your post more carefully.

Now I'm a bit confused, because when I look up NFL GamePass, here is what comes up:
https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/packages

Is it possible 'Rewind' is their new name for what used to be 'GamePass'? It looks like what you describe. Only the audio option is called 'GamePass'.

Before I posted here but after I'd explored 'Rewind' at the above link, I found this page, which suggests there are things I must do to make 'Rewind' work properly for me over there--first, to get a 'VPN'. Is a 'VPN' the same thing as a proxy?
http://www.gadgetseed.com/mac-os-x/8-how-to-watch-nfl-games-outside-of-the-us-using-game-rewind

So from that site, it's my impression that in order to ACCESS the 'Rewind' subscription I've paid for over there, I need to follow the procedures they outline. But you seem to suggest I just buy the NFL subscription here in the US and I will automatically be able to access the archives. Can you help me better understand this?

Another thing not clear to me is whether I have to pay roaming or other charges over there (Comcast is my server) when I'm watching the games. Do you know? Maybe the answer is yes if watching live, but no if watching the archives, but could use clarification.

Thanks for your patience,
K

[Yes, I've been to Europe several times with laptop, but it was either not football season at the time or the Niners were too depressing to try and watch. :( ]

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
Now I'm a bit confused, because when I look up NFL GamePass, here is what comes up:
https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/packages

Is it possible 'Rewind' is their new name for what used to be 'GamePass'? It looks like what you describe. Only the audio option is called 'GamePass'.

Could you post a screenshot? If you're in the States currently you will probably get a different screen then I get.

Before I posted here but after I'd explored 'Rewind' at the above link, I found this page, which suggests there are things I must do to make 'Rewind' work properly for me over there--first, to get a 'VPN'. Is a 'VPN' the same thing as a proxy?
http://www.gadgetseed.com/mac-os-x/8-how-to-watch-nfl-games-outside-of-the-us-using-game-rewind

Yes, in this context a VPN is the same as a proxy.

So from that site, it's my impression that in order to ACCESS the 'Rewind' subscription I've paid for over there, I need to follow the procedures they outline. But you seem to suggest I just buy the NFL subscription here in the US and I will automatically be able to access the archives. Can you help me better understand this?

Correct on getting a VPN/proxy to access an existing NFL Rewind account. I am suggesting that you subscribe to GamePass once you are overseas, as that does the same thing as NFL Rewind but without a proxy. If you can make the proxy work from overseas there is no need to subscribe to GamePass - I missed that you already had an NFL Rewind subscription paid for.

Another thing not clear to me is whether I have to pay roaming or other charges over there (Comcast is my server) when I'm watching the games. Do you know? Maybe the answer is yes if watching live, but no if watching the archives, but could use clarification.
It depends on how you plan on accessing the internet in France. If you have a US-like service plan it won't cost you anything past the monthly cost of the plan. I would not recommend streaming video on a cellular connection, as that will be expensive.

kkm9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to work with me on this, and for your patience.

First, I didn't realize you ARE overseas. Second, I have not YET signed up for anything--in this case Rewind or a VPN. The purpose of my initial post was to research what the best way is to do this, for ease of function and picture quality. I didn't even know there might be a choice whether to sign up for it over here or overseas.

Could you post a screenshot? If you're in the States currently you will probably get a different screen then I get.

Before you asked, I'd never taken (or posted) a screenshot, so I'm struggling a bit here. I took 3 screenshots: one of the first 'NFL GamePass' page; one of the top of the page you see if you click 'Rewind'; one of the bottom half of that page. I finally found the 'manage attachments' button below and will try to use it at the end of this post. (Whew, *that* has been a challenge to do, and I thank you for forcing me to learn it.)

Yes, in this context a VPN is the same as a proxy.

Correct on getting a VPN/proxy to access an existing NFL Rewind account. I am suggesting that you subscribe to GamePass once you are overseas, as that does the same thing as NFL Rewind but without a proxy. If you can make the proxy work from overseas there is no need to subscribe to GamePass - I missed that you already had an NFL Rewind subscription paid for.

As I said above, I don't have an account yet. Just trying to figure out options and best thing to do.

It depends on how you plan on accessing the internet in France. If you have a US-like service plan it won't cost you anything past the monthly cost of the plan. I would not recommend streaming video on a cellular connection, as that will be expensive.

I have Comcast internet service (and cable--I hate them but that's a different discussion--and NO cell phone (live in an area with no coverage and don't really need it anyway). I was planning to use WiFi over there, and just assumed my internet service would still be through Comcast. I don't recall having had extra charges for using internet overseas before, but then it's been awhile and I'm not hypervigilant.

I remain open to your suggestions.

Attachments

• NFL GamePassSS.jpg
    NFL GamePassSS.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 113
  • RewindPage1.jpg
    RewindPage1.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 110
  • RewindPage2.jpg
    RewindPage2.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 90

kkm9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Ut oh. I think I see where I once again read too quickly. You said:

"I am suggesting that you subscribe to GamePass once you are overseas, as that does the same thing as NFL Rewind but without a proxy."

So if I understand correctly, I wait till I'm in France, go get online via WiFi and locate the NFL site there, and sign up for their service--whatever they call it there. Is this the gist of it?

Me of little faith always expects a hitch in the giddyup, and I figure I have to get it all set up first here so I can troubleshoot issues which come up. This sounds too easy :eek:

If I sign up in France, will I still be able to access the archives in Prague & Barcelona?

(I think I'm not clear on just where these 'archives' are stored. Do they 'live' at the website and I just access them, or do I end up downloading them?)

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
I used Gamepass for the 2011-12 season. You can use it in any country outside the USA and Canada. For instance, last season I watched games online in Ireland, Scotland, Spain and Germany. And as Miles stated, there's a full archive of games from 2009 to the current week (they're streamed to your laptop or ipad, you can't download them). So the best thing to do is to sign up for Gamepass once you get to France and you can use it in whatever country you go to.

Roaming charges would be astronomical for Gamepass, so you'll need to find a cafe/bar with wifi or make sure your hotel has it. Happily in Europe nearly all the hotels (and most bars) are hooked up.

One last thing, in the UK some games are blacked out as they're broadcast on Sky Sports. I had to use VPN to get around this problem but there isn't the same issue in the mainland European countries. So you should be fine without it.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Thank you for taking the time to work with me on this, and for your patience.

First, I didn't realize you ARE overseas. Second, I have not YET signed up for anything--in this case Rewind or a VPN. The purpose of my initial post was to research what the best way is to do this, for ease of function and picture quality. I didn't even know there might be a choice whether to sign up for it over here or overseas.

Before you asked, I'd never taken (or posted) a screenshot, so I'm struggling a bit here. I took 3 screenshots: one of the first 'NFL GamePass' page; one of the top of the page you see if you click 'Rewind'; one of the bottom half of that page. I finally found the 'manage attachments' button below and will try to use it at the end of this post. (Whew, *that* has been a challenge to do, and I thank you for forcing me to learn it.)

As I said above, I don't have an account yet. Just trying to figure out options and best thing to do.

I have Comcast internet service (and cable--I hate them but that's a different discussion--and NO cell phone (live in an area with no coverage and don't really need it anyway). I was planning to use WiFi over there, and just assumed my internet service would still be through Comcast. I don't recall having had extra charges for using internet overseas before, but then it's been awhile and I'm not hypervigilant.

I remain open to your suggestions.

Bit frustrating reading this entire thread :)

First of all you have to understand that when you go to the NFL site when you are here in the States you don't see the same options as someone who accesses the site from Europe. Hence you can't sign up for Gameday pass while in the States unless you go through a European server.

If you want to see what that looks like you can try BTGuard which is a VPN service here. They have very clear instructions how to set it up.

Secondly, as someone already told you, you'll sign up for Gameday when in France and you'll get access to the entire season's archive. So if you can't watch it live you will be able to watch the recorded archive.

Third, you will need a reliable internet connection while you are there. Your current cable subscription has nothing to do with whatever service you'll have when in France. But since you will be there for a while I recommend putting your service on hold here since you won't have any use for it. What's the point of paying your monthly bill if you're not going to be using it.

It's much easier to log into NFL.com from France than it is to set up a VPN where you'll be limited by the speed of the servers which are usually pretty slow and not 100% reliable.

The bottom line is, you don't have to worry about it now. Your current MacBook Pro is fine for what you want to do. You'll set it up once you arrive in France and you'll enjoy the NFL either live or recorded. Awesome stuff!!!

Last edited:

kkm9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Bit frustrating reading this entire thread :)

First of all you have to understand that when you go to the NFL site when you are here in the States you don't see the same options as someone who accesses the site from Europe. Hence you can't sign up for Gameday pass while in the States unless you go through a European server.

If you want to see what that looks like you can try BTGuard which is a VPN service here. They have very clear instructions how to set it up.

Secondly, as someone already told you, you'll sign up for Gameday when in France and you'll get access to the entire season's archive. So if you can't watch it live you will be able to watch the recorded archive.

Third, you will need a reliable internet connection while you are there. Your current cable subscription has nothing to do with whatever service you'll have when in France. But since you will be there for a while I recommend putting your service on hold here since you won't have any use for it. What's the point of paying your monthly bill if you're not going to be using it.

It's much easier to log into NFL.com from France than it is to set up a VPN where you'll be limited by the speed of the servers which are usually pretty slow and not 100% reliable.

The bottom line is, you don't have to worry about it now. Your current MacBook Pro is fine for what you want to do. You'll set it up once you arrive in France and you'll enjoy the NFL either live or recorded. Awesome stuff!!!

I appreciate your response, but don't quite understand what's so frustrating. This might be self-evident and simple to someone who lives and breathes technology, but it isn't for me, and I have a Ph.D.--not that that means much.

From what you've said, my only remaining question is how and from what company/ies I would obtain temporary internet service over there. Get a friend to call them up? Is there data she'd need to have to provide the server about my computer to set it up?

Or is this something I could just do online at any old WiFi spot?

Thanks.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I appreciate your response, but don't quite understand what's so frustrating. This might be self-evident and simple to someone who lives and breathes technology, but it isn't for me, and I have a Ph.D.--not that that means much.

From what you've said, my only remaining question is how and from what company/ies I would obtain temporary internet service over there. Get a friend to call them up? Is there data she'd need to have to provide the server about my computer to set it up?

Or is this something I could just do online at any old WiFi spot?

Thanks.

I certainly didn't mean anything by what I said. Some of the replies could have been more concise though ;)

As for Internet service, it's going to depend on where you're going to stay.
A school dorm? Your own apt? A friend? Hotel?

If it's your own apt you'll have to get service the same way you do here. If it's a school dorm I would think they provide either WiFi or Ethernet. Most hotels probably offer some kind of access. Internet cafes are pretty common in Europe too.

So it all depends on where your staying but basically it's no different than looking for an Internet Service Provider here, except you'll be doing it there.

EDIT: Here is a good page for you to check out.

kkm9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Thank you, Rock, for that link. I will investigate it. But in case it will help you help me, let me outline my itinerary from 18 August - 12 November:

6 weeks with car in Normandy & Brittany, France, meandering backroads. Using Wifi available at B&B's or hotels or small towns or private homes or (rarely) cities.

12 days Paris WiFi available in apartment
2 weeks Prague WiFi available in apartment
2 weeks Barcelona WiFi available in apartment

Would that affect your recommendations re: what service to sign up for when I arrive in France (if I wanted to watch archives in Prague or Barcelona as well as along the way in France?)

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Thank you, Rock, for that link. I will investigate it. But in case it will help you help me, let me outline my itinerary from 18 August - 12 November:

6 weeks with car in Normandy & Brittany, France, meandering backroads. Using Wifi available at B&B's or hotels or small towns or private homes or (rarely) cities.

12 days Paris WiFi available in apartment
2 weeks Prague WiFi available in apartment
2 weeks Barcelona WiFi available in apartment

Would that affect your recommendations re: what service to sign up for when I arrive in France (if I wanted to watch archives in Prague or Barcelona as well as along the way in France?)

You don't need to sign up for any service. All the places you're going to have WiFi, that's all you need. You would only need to buy service if you were going to be somewhere that didn't offer anything. In your case it sounds like wherever you'll be staying is offering WiFi so you're good to go.

Why do you think you have to sign up for a service if the place you're staying at offers access via WiFi?

kkm9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Ut oh. I think I see where I once again read too quickly. You said:

"I am suggesting that you subscribe to GamePass once you are overseas, as that does the same thing as NFL Rewind but without a proxy."

So if I understand correctly, I wait till I'm in France, go get online via WiFi and locate the NFL site there, and sign up for their service--whatever they call it there. Is this the gist of it?

If I sign up in France, will I still be able to access the archives in Prague & Barcelona?

(I think I'm not clear on just where these 'archives' are stored. Do they 'live' at the website and I just access them, or do I end up downloading them?)

My confusion goes back to the above exchange with Miles. I'm having a hard time understanding what the difference is between signing up from here (US) and signing up from over there for GamePass qua NFL Rewind at any WiFi location in Europe. If I can just sign up for it online, what difference does it make if I do it here or there?

What I'd *thought* from an earlier exchange with Miles (who lives over there) was that if I sign up here, the broadband would be weaker (maybe meaning inferior picture), and it would require installing a VPN here first to access it over there. Whereas neither of those things are true if I sign up over there. If that's true, I don't understand why.

Sorry for all this, and appreciate your help.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
My confusion goes back to the above exchange with Miles. I'm having a hard time understanding what the difference is between signing up from here (US) and signing up from over there for GamePass qua NFL Rewind at any WiFi location in Europe. If I can just sign up for it online, what difference does it make if I do it here or there?

What I'd *thought* from an earlier exchange with Miles (who lives over there) was that if I sign up here, the broadband would be weaker (maybe meaning inferior picture), and it would require installing a VPN here first to access it over there. Whereas neither of those things are true if I sign up over there. If that's true, I don't understand why.

Sorry for all this, and appreciate your help.

No problem, I'm here because I like to help :)

I see why you are confused. Forget what he said. You can't purchase the Gameday pass while here in the States. You can only purchase the Game Rewind package. Now I can't say for sure but it is possible that if you were to buy the game rewind package while still here at home, you may not be able to access it over in Europe. The reason is that they offer specific packages for specific regions. Since you can only buy the Gameday pass in Europe, that may be the only thing you will be able to access.

So, wait until you get there before purchasing any NFL.com package. Once you get there you'll see what's available to you and you'll be able to make the right choice based on what they offer over there and your needs.

And it has nothing to do with your connection. That is a completely separate issue. I think what he meant is, if you have a current subscription to rewind in order to access it over there you would have to set up a VPN. But that is unnecessary and not the best way to access NFL.com from overseas since they offer subscriptions to that part of the world.

Got it now? :)

kkm9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
YES! Thank you for your clarity, Rock. I get it totally now.

It doesn't matter from where I sign on over there, I just get to NFL.com and order it. This must all have to do with strange things that go on in filaments under the sea and control over them :)

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
You're very welcome. Yeah filaments under the sea. I like that LOL ;)

Enjoy your travels. Sounds like an awesome trip. My wife and I are looking to do something similar next year.

Come back and post some pictures and thoughts on your experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.