Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple contiunes to add benefits for .Mac subscribers.

The latest promotion offers 10% off Camcorders at Apple Retail stores.

We're making filmmaking even easier with this timely digital camcorder discount for .Mac members, now through March 31, 2004 only at the Apple Retail Stores. You'll need to present a printout of this .Mac page to get the 10 percent discount on any digital camcorder in stock, including the latest models from Canon, Sony and JVC. (Note: This discount is subject to camcorder availability.)

Terms and Conditions apply. This represents the first .Mac-exclusive discount on retail products. Previous hints have suggested that Apple may offer similar discounts for software purchases for .Mac subscribers.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Now we're starting to get talking. If the London Apple Store was built and I have renewed my .Mac (trial) membership then I'd love to take advantage of this offer. I couldn't care for most of their incentives, and I still think .Mac needs a big overhaul, but things like this may give me more of an incentive..

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
Damn! Incentive blown then!

well, it's not that they are 10% more expensive than retail. It's just that they are sold at retail prices... and if you shop around, you can find them for less than retail.

arn

xtekdiver

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
That's nice, but the only problem is that Apple's prices for these types of items are at the top of the price spectrum, so 10% still doesn't make them competitive with other retailers. Why pay $700 for a item you can get for a little over $500? 20% would be better and more of an incentive. Even Dell offers better deals. I can accept paying top dollar for the best computer on the planet, but when it comes to high dollar accesorries, the Apple Store is just not the best place to shop.

sabbath999

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2003
rural Missouri
I actually bought my Cannon GL2 from the Apple store. They were running a $500 instant rebate a while back, which put the camera at the price of Cannon authorized mail-order dealers... I decided I would rather give Apple the money. I could have paid a "lot" less for a gray market version, but I am sure glad I didn't. The camera had to go in and get a complete new drivetrain under warranty.

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
A Sony TRV38 is $699 at the Apple Retail Store., or $630 with the .Mac discount.

It is $650 at Amazon.com.

It is $620 at B & H.

So the discount makes Apple Retail Stores at least competitive.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
I couldn't care for most of their incentives, and I still think .Mac needs a big overhaul, but things like this may give me more of an incentive..

Those free jigsaws they are giving away with .Mac are awesome. Hundreds of hours of fun - luckily I dont mind going blind and mad faffing around on puzzles. Your mileage may vary.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'm not a .Mac subscriber, but with more and more incentives such as this, I am getting closer to giving it a try. Apple still needs to make .Mac a little more lucrative and worthwhile though to get my money...

IronChef

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2004
Originally posted by FriarTuck
A Sony TRV38 is $699 at the Apple Retail Store., or $630 with the .Mac discount.

It is $650 at Amazon.com.

It is $620 at B & H.

So the discount makes Apple Retail Stores at least competitive.

Well with CA sales tax, it's still cheaper for me to buy it from Amazon or B&H.

10% is nice but it's not going to bring out the flood of shoppers, that's for sure.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
How about $50 off the Mini iPod for a .Mac subscription making it $199 and the price it should have been all along?!

MCCFR

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
Guildford, Surrey, UK
Aaaaaargh!

Originally posted by Photorun
How about $50 off the Mini iPod for a .Mac subscription making it $199 and the price it should have been all along?!

Please change the record!

The price it should be is the price people are willing to pay!

From what we can see, 100,000 people are willing to pay $249 - but cos you're a bone-fide genius, you would rather that Apple would have lost $5 million dollars in sales.

Please send me your CV that shows all of your sales/marketing qualifications, so I can be sure never to employ you in the future.

:confused:

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Re: Aaaaaargh!

Originally posted by MCCFR
Please change the record!

The price it should be is the price people are willing to pay!

From what we can see, 100,000 people are willing to pay $249 - but cos you're a bone-fide genius, you would rather that Apple would have lost $5 million dollars in sales.

Please send me your CV that shows all of your sales/marketing qualifications, so I can be sure never to employ you in the future.

:confused:

A trifle harsh, but nonetheless true...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
In the web Apple Store, the iSight is included in the video camera selection. So, anyone know if the retails stores classify it this way, or as a web cam? 10% off the iSight isn't hot, but not cold either. It could tempt me at least.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by Bram
Now the only thing I need is an Apple Store in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. :)
That's another benefit that we international users are going to have to sit on...
Oh well, it's not like I was going to take advantage of it anyway... (end of rant)

fenlyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2003
Atlanta
What prevents non-.Mac subscribers from printing out this discount? If it is only for .Mac subscribers, perhaps the page to print should be hidden behind a password-protected area? Any numbnut with a printer can take part in this, and that cheapens the value of our membership.

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
Originally posted by IronChef
Well with CA sales tax, it's still cheaper for me to buy it from Amazon or B&H.

10% is nice but it's not going to bring out the flood of shoppers, that's for sure.

Are you admitting you don't submit regular payments to the State of California to account for sales tax on internet purchases from out of state sellers?

The Governator is going to come looking for you.

Totalshock

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Tarana (to locals...)
Originally posted by fenlyn
What prevents non-.Mac subscribers from printing out this discount? If it is only for .Mac subscribers, perhaps the page to print should be hidden behind a password-protected area? Any numbnut with a printer can take part in this, and that cheapens the value of our membership.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to bring in a printout of the .Mac homepage, which shows your logged-in .Mac user account, to get the discount, and they check it against your username to make sure that it's a) a valid, full .Mac membership and b) it hasn't been used for a previous discount.

At least I assume so.

And to echo previous comments, useless for those of us who live outside of the U.S. Not that this surprises any Canadian Mac user, to be dis-included in a promotion, product or activity.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Discount

Very useful here in the UK... not!
With the figures that have just come out that states that 1 in every 6 (i think it was something like that!) iPods are bought here in Blighty then you think Apple would give us more than F@*%in' jigsaw bleedin' puzzles!

Also they gave up on finding a printer in Europe for the photo books iPhoto so now they will be sent from the States at a hughly inflated cost no doubt.

Humbug!

Just going for a lie down in a dark room now before i explode.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Originally posted by cc bcc
Too bad that camcorders at the Applestore are at least 10% more expensive. ;)

Depending on how one shops the prices at Apple are not 10% higher then most retail outlets (at least when looking at Canon video).

There are exceptions like the Elura 50 (which i believe is discontinued).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.