Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
It's much netter to spend a little extra time when processing your movies to get the pretty subs burned in.

"Burned in" does that mean the video track will be encoded with the subtitles on it? Could you post a screenshot of how this looks like?

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
"Burned in" does that mean the video track will be encoded with the subtitles on it? Could you post a screenshot of how this looks like?

Can't post a screen shot from here, but it looks exactly like it does when you play the movie from the source disk. By burning them in, the subtitles become part of the video image and appear on screen - no background colour - without the need to turn on closed captioning.

In fact, BDSup2Sub let's you move the image prior to burning in. This has to be done line by line, so it's laborious if there's a lot of subtitled dialog. But if it's only a few lines, like "Red October" or the various Star Wars movies, it allows you to move the subtitles off the movie image and into the lower (or upper, if you prefer) black border. This keeps your movie images clear of subtitles, but does mean that you'll not see them if you zoom the picture on your iDevice.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
No argument; to each his own.

I prefer burned-in subs because soft subs (on the ATV) have a gray box around them which I find ugly. On other devices, closed captions look just fine, but I'm encoding primarily for viewing on an ATV hence my preference.

FWIW, the above workflow adds about 15 mins of extra time between finishing the rip and starting the encode in HB. Extracting the subtitle tracks and remuxing the rip file - both done in the background - is most of this. Converting the track using BDSup2Sub takes no time at all.

For the extraction of the subtitles (in particular VOBSUB)...my understanding is that the program acts like an OCR and therefore, you have to go through and proof read the subtitles because there will be inaccuracies in the text. Not true?

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
For the extraction of the subtitles (in particular VOBSUB)...my understanding is that the program acts like an OCR and therefore, you have to go through and proof read the subtitles because there will be inaccuracies in the text. Not true?

Not true. MakeMKV rips the subtitle tracks from the digital source - no OCRing involved.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Not true. MakeMKV rips the subtitle tracks from the digital source - no OCRing involved.

I was under the understanding, that VOBSUB's were actually pictures not text. Not true?

Edit: Looking back through the thread, I see this workflow started with BD PGS subs. Maybe that is why I am getting confused, because most dvd's have VOBSUBs.

Last edited:

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I recoded the Thor.iso (30GB blu ray) using HB High Profile preset and Web Optimized checked. I have a MBP duo core, 8GB ram, so the recode took around 10-11 hours. Final file size was 5.7GB. Loaded it on to a usb-HD connected to Time Capsule (aTV 3 in adjacent room). It took about 2s to load and played flawlessly (however, I did not watch the entire movie, just pieces). Looked and sounded flawless, too. Very happy with the quality and quick load time. Wifi transmission rate was around 2.5MB/s and, per the progress bar, it seemed to be loading faster than playing.

How much does web optimized option reduce the file size vs plain High Profile preset? Is there any noticeable decrease in picture quality using web optimized?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
How much does web optimized option reduce the file size vs plain High Profile preset? Is there any noticeable decrease in picture quality using web optimized?

My understanding from reading the Handbrake forum, is that it does not have an effect on picture quality or file size but only optimizes the header compression to facilitate faster streaming...but don't quote me on that:D

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
I was under the understanding, that VOBSUB's were actually pictures not text. Not true?

Edit: Looking back through the thread, I see this workflow started with BD PGS subs. Maybe that is why I am getting confused, because most dvd's have VOBSUBs.

Blu-rays use PGS subs, which are bitmapped

DVD's use VOB subs, which are also bitmapped.

SRT subs are text which get rendered during playback. THey are typically pretty ugly and look like close captioned text. People who want those (which are the only subs that ATV can turn on or off) have to OCR them from the BD or DVD bitmapped subs.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
Hi All

Just trying out ivi and looks like a nice little program, i have select apple TV3, was just wondering is it worth changing the video quality setting ? or frame rate setting ?

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
My understanding from reading the Handbrake forum, is that it does not have an effect on picture quality or file size but only optimizes the header compression to facilitate faster streaming...but don't quote me on that:D

They are right. Movies load up and begins playback much faster.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Blu-rays use PGS subs, which are bitmapped

DVD's use VOB subs, which are also bitmapped.

SRT subs are text which get rendered during playback. THey are typically pretty ugly and look like close captioned text. People who want those (which are the only subs that ATV can turn on or off) have to OCR them from the BD or DVD bitmapped subs.

Thank you for the explanation. I did choose the srt route because I wanted to have the option of turning them on and off. I hadn't noticed they were ugly. Maybe I chose the pretty ones by accident? ;)

Redneck-Randy

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2012
Are you folks ripping the DVD's to a MKV 1st then converting it to a m4v or are you ripping from the DVD ? My problem is I can't get the 1920x1080 to stick in Handbrake.

Thanks

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Redneck-Randy said:
Are you folks ripping the DVD's to a MKV 1st then converting it to a m4v or are you ripping from the DVD ? My problem is I can't get the 1920x1080 to stick in Handbrake.

Thanks

I am ripping to a Blu-Ray folder then using Handbrake to encode to 1080p m4v. If there are forced subtitles there is an additional step of converting to an MKV and extracting the subtitles to idx files which is just one additional step in DVDfab. Assuming you are using a Blu-Ray, simply choose the High Profile Preset and select Web Optimized. It will set the width to 1920 and adjust based on the source. 1080 will only be the height on 16:9 content. If you are using DVDs then they will not be 1920 and only max 720 width. Leave it alone and let the iPad, ATV or player scale. No need to create a larger file.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I'm not the greatest at all this stuff but I've been burning over a bunch of old DVD's onto my Mac.

I bought Mac DVDRipper Pro for $19.95 and I've been doing everything pretty easily.

I realize a lot of my DVD's are 850x480 and it's using Handbrake 0.9.5

Am I getting the best quality I can out of these DVD's?

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use DVDfab mkv.remux to get an idx sub file and mkv. Then I remux them with mkvtoolnix mkvmerge GUI. The problem is the sound hiccups after I encode this newly remuxed mkv in handbrake. It's not a deal breaker. Oddly it always happens in the studio introduction (ie 20 century fox). The biggest offenders were Star Wars where it would happen in the prologue and randomly through the movie (~5 times).

Any advice on my problem above? The sound hiccup (brief sound clipping).

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
So I've noticed that encoding from an MKV remux of a Blu-Ray produces a file 200MB - 500MB smaller than going from the Blu-Ray folder structure. The high profile preset is also 200MB - 500MB smaller than bumping up the Apple TV 2 preset to 1920 width.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA

I am ripping to a Blu-Ray folder then using Handbrake to encode to 1080p m4v. If there are forced subtitles there is an additional step of converting to an MKV and extracting the subtitles to idx files which is just one additional step in DVDfab. Assuming you are using a Blu-Ray, simply choose the High Profile Preset and select Web Optimized. It will set the width to 1920 and adjust based on the source. 1080 will only be the height on 16:9 content. If you are using DVDs then they will not be 1920 and only max 720 width. Leave it alone and let the iPad, ATV or player scale. No need to create a larger file.

Could you explain your work flow for the forced subs? I've been ignoring them because most of the workflows I've seen include like 3 extra programs needed.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Could you explain your work flow for the forced subs? I've been ignoring them because most of the workflows I've seen include like 3 extra programs needed.

I would be interested in this as well. I do my ripping/encoding on a Windows 7 box, so if anyone knows the workflow for W7, it would be appreciated.

bluestarCVO

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
I would be interested in this as well. I do my ripping/encoding on a Windows 7 box, so if anyone knows the workflow for W7, it would be appreciated.

I, too, would be interested in a simple way to do this using program(s) compatible with Windows 7.

Redneck-Randy

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2012

Thank you. That explains a bunch for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.