Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
January represents the the first quarter of the new year (3 months interval).

Tax is reported yearly and goes from 1st of January to 31st of December :)

Not sure what the hold up appears to be but we should see it soon enough, be it a few days from now or a bit over a month (hopefully at latest) :D

Many companies have a different cycle than that. Apple is one of them. I think 1Q2008 is actually Oct-Dec 2007. Now if you're talking about a write-off for your employer or personal business, then it may be different.

ideasman69

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
man, if this thing doesnt come out by the 12th im gonna be like...

............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
Waiting...

I too am anxiously awaiting an update. I'm actually going through all my old junk, selling some of it on eBay, to save some money up. I even plan on selling my iBook G4 (my first mac) to put towards the new Mac Pro once I move back home next week (graduated college, woo).

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I might have to switch my minitower over to Penryn just to keep up! I just got this Core 2 Duo as well...

man, if this thing doesnt come out by the 12th im gonna be like...

............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\
Major cred for the face palm.

holland_plant.jpg

I'm still loving my MacBook.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
Members at my MUG were asking about this as well.

They already have Mac laptops BTW.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Mac Pros are powerhouse devices. And I'm all about buying more computer than I need.. :) (I liken it to hitting a thumb tack with a sledgehammer). But, at this point in my life, I'm not quite sure I can really justify the cost of a Mac Pro, when a self-built mid-range Hackintosh will be more than enough.

The challenge, of course, is making sure I pick the right hardware such that OS X will run smoothly. But the online tutorials seem to be well-written and easy to follow. So it doesn't appear to be too much trouble.

We'll see. It'll depend on a couple of things. 1)How adventurous I'm feeling. 2)How pricey the new Mac Pros end up being.

jas

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
2)How pricey the new Mac Pros end up being.

I think the price will be pretty much the same as the current Mac Pro.
The new processors are the same price as the current Mac Pro processors.
The new video cards are actually cheaper than the current Mac Pro video cards.

I think if you go to The Apple Store and configure the current Mac Pro the way you want it, you will be in the ball park with the next generation Mac Pro prices.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
I think the price will be pretty much the same as the current Mac Pro.
The new processors are the same price as the current Mac Pro processors.
The new video cards are actually cheaper than the current Mac Pro video cards.

I hope you're right, but, it doesn't mean Apple won't try to charge more for the higher performance. If I'm not mistaken, as the performance of the MacBook Pros has eeked upwards over the last year or so, so has their respective prices. So if we were to use the MBPs as an example to predict Apple's pricing behavior for the Mac Pros, then my guess is they'll be a bit more expensive.

At this point, I think I'd rather put together a single processor, quad-core, desktop-based system. I don't really need (more importantly, can't really justify) a server-based system, but would rather have a bit more computational grunt than the iMac or Mac Mini offers.

That's why I'm looking towards the Hackintosh. For about $2K or so (rounding up) I can put together a nice 3Ghz quad-core system, 8G of RAM, 500G disk, DVD burner, case, power supply, and an nVidia card of my choice. While it won't keep pace with the newer 8-core Penryn Mac Pros, it'll let me crunch RAW photos and edit my race track videos with ease.

Obviously, the huge drawback to that is: if I chose the wrong hardware, OS X won't install or boot properly. Nor will I ever get support from Apple for this.

jas

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
That's why I'm looking towards the Hackintosh...and an nVidia card of my choice.

One thing nice about a Hackintosh; I know you will have a better video card than what will be available for the new Mac Pro.

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
I hope you're right, but, it doesn't mean Apple won't try to charge more for the higher performance. If I'm not mistaken, as the performance of the MacBook Pros has eeked upwards over the last year or so, so has their respective prices. So if we were to use the MBPs as an example to predict Apple's pricing behavior for the Mac Pros, then my guess is they'll be a bit more expensive.

At this point, I think I'd rather put together a single processor, quad-core, desktop-based system. I don't really need (more importantly, can't really justify) a server-based system, but would rather have a bit more computational grunt than the iMac or Mac Mini offers.

That's why I'm looking towards the Hackintosh. For about $2K or so (rounding up) I can put together a nice 3Ghz quad-core system, 8G of RAM, 500G disk, DVD burner, case, power supply, and an nVidia card of my choice. While it won't keep pace with the newer 8-core Penryn Mac Pros, it'll let me crunch RAW photos and edit my race track videos with ease.

Obviously, the huge drawback to that is: if I chose the wrong hardware, OS X won't install or boot properly. Nor will I ever get support from Apple for this.

jas

....and its illegal?

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
i believe that he meant tomorrow as its tuesday tomorrow but I think that he is probably wrong as they will release at MWSF. As I invested the money and can't get them this month then I'm actually fine with MWSF as I hope they will update ACD or release new one to go with the iMac desing (LED displays would be fantastic and as the price is similar now - see Samsung LED 20" around $1600). MWSF will either be a big hit or big miss like last year with the stupid iPhone. Let's wait some more and see :)))

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Don't get me wrong, I think the Mac Pros are powerhouse devices. And I'm all about buying more computer than I need..

Yep, they sure are. My only gripe is that they only have 3 PCI-express slots available in addition to the graphics controller. I would almost *kill* for 7-slot workstation...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.