Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this evening, Apple released version 5.5.3 of AirPort Utility. This small update to the AirPort Extreme Base Station and Time Capsule administration software contained a few bug fixes, but also a bit of a surprise. Readers in the MacRumors Forums (neek and jonnyz) found references to unreleased 4th Generation Time Capsules and 5th Generation AirPort Extremes.

In the weeks leading up to the WWDC keynote, there had been reports of dwindling Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme stocks, suggesting an imminent refresh. It seems that Apple has been working on next-generation devices, but hasn't yet released them.

time_capsule_leap_forward.jpg
Also found were references to Software Updates being stored on devices, but these references are not new as the same text has been found in older versions of the software dating back to at least 2010.
"bsUP.productName" = "Store Apple software updates on this %@";
"bsUP.description" = "Apple software updates that are copied to this %@ are available to anyone using this network.";
These findings were also reported by 9to5Mac, which had previously detailed that upcoming Time Capsules would be offering a Software Update caching system:
What we do know is that Apple has been internally testing Time Capsules to cache Software updates for both Mac and iOS devices. The way we've heard it works is that the new Time Capsule learns which devices connect to it via Wifi. It then goes out to Apple's servers and downloads Software Updates for those products.

When the user wants to install the software update, the Time Capsule, which is also the router, routes you to the locally stored update, rather than downloading the whole thing over the Internet.
Given the fact that these Software Update references were also present in the old firmware, it's not clear when Apple is planning on launching this features, especially in light of the recent iCloud announcements. Apple has also been rumored to be redesigning its Time Capsules and AirPort Extremes around the same A4/A5 processors used in the iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: References to Next-Generation AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Found

erictooth

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
I'm really looking forward to this. I've never had an airport extreme/time capsule, and I'm getting tired of my DD-WRT router..

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
ThunderBolt

Hopefully the Airport Extreme will have ThunderBolt ports.

Both for adding Time Machine storage and for networking via ThunderBolt.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
"Store Apple software updates on this %@"
"Apple software updates that are copied to this %@"

Apple has a love-hate relationship with their products.

"You're revolutionary, you piece of #%@&..."

Sounds like this won't help if have ADSL/2+ router and are running your TimeCapsule in bridged mode.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
... but this is what the updated Airport Utility shows for the Time Capsule Apple gave to me for free back in December as a good will gesture because they totally screwed up an iPad exchange.

The new one is not out yet?? What's your point? We all have gen 3

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
what about a device with a local iCloud?

iCloud is sure doesn't work in my country which only has 0.2 mbps upload speed. photostream will not work well, let alone videos upload! :(

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
what about a device with a local iCloud?

iCloud is sure doesn't work in my country which only has 0.2 mbps upload speed. photostream will not work well, let alone videos upload! :(

Yeah but if it's all done in the background when the device is idle, it'll still work just not as instant. Or at least I think...

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Not the kind of thing most of us will discard a working model of to get a new one.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Yeah but if it's all done in the background when the device is idle, it'll still work just not as instant. Or at least I think...

hell no, with 0.2mbps upload speed, my battery will be dead before it even finishes uploading.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
When the user wants to install the software update, the Time Capsule, which is also the router, routes you to the locally stored update, rather than downloading the whole thing over the Internet
this means it will download the updates without even asking you, which means if you're playing an online game at the moment you're doomed to lag :cool:

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
..a new A4 powered AEBS with built in iTunes server to act as a home media hub (very much in keeping with the home sharing concept) would be amazing - I currently have a Mac Mini doing this and it's pretty wasteful. VPN support would be good too.

Dream on I guess though.

Monty

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
So...

iCloud pushes all the updates and purchases to your TC... then whenever you get in range it auto synch's... I like it!
:D

If it requires a new TC rather than my existing TC... well ah...
:rolleyes:

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
automatic downloading for music and apps is stupid too.

i hope this new device will act as a server, so when i download an app from my iPhone, when it finishes, the iPhone will upload the app to the new device and then the device will push it to my iPad and my wife's iPhone.

i know i can turn off the automatic download, but i'd really love to enable it without it consuming my internet bandwidth. and one more annoying thing is when i download an app, it takes 3 times longer because the iPad and my wife's iPhone will download it too. if i want to play NOVA 3, i buy it, so now download takes 3 times longer before i could play it. and i know i can turn the feature off, but i don't want to call my wife at home and tell her to temporary turn off the automatic download, it's much of a hassle.

apple will waste bandwidth too because of this, so when im downloading an app, it means for apple to waste 3 times more bandwidth and makes higher for monthly bandwith cost.

if i were steve jobs, i would make this new device can store iCloud locally and sell it for only $15-$20, so people who have more than one iDevices would buy this and they can even have 3 of them connected as backups in case of **** happening.

so subsidized money in new device taken from saved monthly bandwidth cost.

and about that instant stuff like u working a document in iPhone, do u really need it to be pushed to your iPad at home right away? this local iCloud is instant too, by the time u arrive at home and your iPhone is connected to wifi, the iPad will get the document too.

Last edited:

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
I'm really looking forward to this. I've never had an airport extreme/time capsule, and I'm getting tired of my DD-WRT router..

I was planning on upgrading to a nice new dual-band n router running DD-WRT, but now I'm going to wait and see what happens. The wireless network extending functionality of the Airport Express is really tempting too. I always wished I could do that with my DD-WRT router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.