Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hb82

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2022
I’m all for options for consumers but some of this overkill if they release a 12.9” hybrid. Focus on software improvements.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
From 9to5 article

Ross Young shared the revised iPad Air news with paid subscribers this morning. He says that while multiple supply chain sources said the larger 2024 iPad Air would feature mini-LED tech, he has just heard from “even more supply chain sources” that it won’t be happening.

He highlights that it “makes sense” mini-LED won’t be included with the 12.9-inch iPad Air as it’s a more expensive move.

However, one interesting piece to this is that Ross is hearing that a new 12.9-inch iPad with mini-LED may arrive in Q4 2024.
=====
So maybe not in initial release but later this year?
Well, by reporting iPad Air mini-LED rumours from sources as yes, then no, and now maybe later, Ross Young has covered every possible outcome so I guess he'll be right no matter what. 😂

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Write an article saying that something is going to happen. After a few days, write another one saying that it might not happen. A few days later write one more saying that it is confirmed. And finally write one after it is released/not released.
Nice cycle.

Reactions: GrayFlannel

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Write an article saying that something is going to happen. After a few days, write another one saying that it might not happen. A few days later write one more saying that it is confirmed. And finally write one after it is released/not released.
Nice cycle.
This is where I reach for the Bufferin, especially when the sources don't agree with each other.

• Haha
Reactions: Beautyspin

Artsketch

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2019
Maybe the iPad Pro with matte paper feel glass will be based on mini led? This will then be a Pro device for writing and drawing anyway, something you rarely do in absolute darkness, so blooming should not be an issue and a sharp and brighter display in well lit envirorements is an advantage over oled.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
I kind of figured that nicer screen and 120hz refresh rate were one of the biggest selling points of the iPad Pro at this point, at least compared to the Air.
The 120Hz display has been exclusive to iPad Pro for seven years now. It is long past time for this to have trickled down to lower price point iPads. It only hasn't because Apple has no other ideas on how to create artificial segmentation.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I’m going to get flak for this but: there are way too many iPads.
I would like iPad product matrix to be modeled after MacBook lineup:
  • iPad Air, available in 8.3" ($499), 10.9" ($599), and 12.9" ($699) screen sizes, all with M3, 128GB storage
  • iPad Pro, available in 11" ($899) and 13" ($1099) screen sizes, all with M3 Pro, OLED, 256GB storage

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
It only hasn't because Apple has no other ideas on how to create artificial segmentation.

But wait. Behold! The new iPad Pro will finally have the quantum computing power necessary to enable such marvels as battery health information, battery cycle count information and 80% battery hard-limit.

• Disagree
Reactions: AlexMac89

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
It’s kinda sad that Tim’s overcrowded iPad lineup makes plausible an otherwise blatant attempt to excuse Young’s “multiple industry sources” not knowing diddly

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
So Apple can make all these different iPad models at every price point and size, but they can’t keep making an iPhone mini?

Reactions: klasma

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
All you armchair product managers: they are NOT making any one iPad product or line that doesn't sell enough to justify it. If the market would agree with any of us about "too many choices" such as it focused in on "the good ones", the ones that don't sell would quickly be discontinued.

And yes, I too remember the "good old days" of choices towards "one size fits all" in some cases. However, that Apple was a fraction of the size of 2024 Apple. To grow this large needs product line expansion if all of this money is to be made year over year from a relatively tiny mix of products.

Another way is to develop & launch a bunch of entirely new products to then feed the bear with entirely new revenue streams. Apple has been trying both but seemingly having trouble hitting a new home run since- IMO- iPad, but perhaps Watch and/or AirPods count for some of us. If so, that's still a LONG time since their launch to not hit another triple or home run in a brand new thing at a 4 TRILLION valuation.

The third way is acquire, sometimes rebrand and then let that throw more revenue gas on an ever-growing engine. Apple does a bit of buying... but usually small players more so to incorporate something they have into the existing lines. What was the last acquisition that remained as standalone new revenue contributor of some size? Beats? When was that again?

To get back to the few choices probably means going back to relatively small Apple Inc. Else, you get your wish in the future somewhere, when these lines of Apple products have been replaced by other things and are fading down towards extinction as an offering... as the once mighty iPod did. When iPod was king, there were many lines and choices. However, as the end approached, the consolidated down into what was eventually only one offering again.

ELSE, name the line or iPads that should be killed and watch others step forward to defend them and suggest your own favorites should go. I just saw some posts about Apple killing Mini because OPs didn't care for it. For me, Mini is the very best of all iPads. For another guy, it's the worst iPad. And that's how it is with all of the iPads in all 5+ lines. Your dud call is someone else's favorite and vice versa.

Passing that 5 Trillion mark would be hard on hardly any products. None of the competition up at those levels make their money on hardly any products. Even Saudi Aramco has quite a sizable product portfolio beyond their "black gold" cash cow. Why not just focus on oil and "keep it simple"? Because expanded offerings help them make more money than they can make on one- or a few- offerings.

Last edited:

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
as someone who wouldn't mind updating their 8 year old ipad pro, apple's done a great job of making countless ipad options that all managed to either be too expensive for how limited the platform is, or have display tech so outdated i wouldn't really be tempted to purchase at any price.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I tend to disagree. It's just 6 models, and all of them generally make sense. It's just the naming that is really odd (which is something that is, unfortunately, true across the board for Apple these days).

I think four models serve 90% of users.
But yes, one could remove the ‘Air’ moniker too by having a lineup like this:

iPad Pro M3 13”
iPad M2 12.9”
iPad M1 10.9”
iPad mini M1 8.3”

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
“increased brightness for HDR content, deeper blacks, lower power consumption”

Isn’t this the same description Apple uses for every single change in display technology?

Obry

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2016
Shocked. That rumor made absolutely no sense to begin with. And only the larger model? Way too bizarre even for Apple.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I’m going to get flak for this but: there are way too many iPads.
It's honestly not that complicated - two sizes of Air (essentially three with the mini), two sizes of Pro, and a base model cheapo iPad. Covers the ASP spread well and gives people options without being overly complex, IMO.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Wonder if they had the option of an artificially capped mini LED for the Air.

Set in software to reduce mini LED back light to half resolution of the Pro.

Problem halved, problem solved 🤔
I was thinking maybe the are turning off the local dimming completely, and just fill up part of the charge with leftover iPad Pro panels. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.