Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
BlueT said:
I have a question...if you're getting a free laptop in a year, why bother buying one now and selling it for a $400 loss? That makes no sense to me. Based on that logic, you're renting the laptop for $400 and using it for a year, when you have a perfectly useful computer at home (2, in fact).

Seems to me that you're pissing away your money for no good reason. Apple's great and will still be there in a year; either save your money for something important or spend it on Powerbook accessories next year.

Well, you get to use a Mac and OSX for a year and that is at least worth something.

I wanted a PB (dosen´t everybody?) last year and had saved up the money, but unforseen expenses ate half my savings.
So I ended up with an ibook 12". And I have to say that I haven`t missed the power of the PB to many times.
Mostly when I use Final Cut Pro, but I use my ibook mostly for other things and then it`s great.

I advice you to get an ibook as soon as possible, you won`t regret it
:)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
baboo2 said:
When you say multimedia does that mean like editing etc or watching movies... Because the most i will do at least this year is watch a movie in terms of multimedia ... btw in your view Jfreak what is the maxium you would bid on that G3 and G4 respectively thanks!

G3 is definetely good enough for watching movies, or more generally enjoying whatever multimedia content. it is the content creation side that enjoys altivec's floating point performance, but i think you would buy more powerful workhorse anyway if you plan to do that.

we have higher hardware prices here in finland (europe) so i'm not quoting any prices. i'm sure a good deal comes up if you're not in too big a hurry ;)

baboo2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
Yeah, I agree with both of you that is why i will try to get a G3 800mhz or 900mhz or a G4 1.0ghz for a nice price :)

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Try to get the G4, It will be worth the little extra IMO, you will also get more for it when yousell it.

Happy hunting

BlueT

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
baboo2 said:
I figured 400 loss is better than 2200 lost nxt year if i hate apple if i go directly to powerbook next year.

Again, that doesn't make any sense to me. You are guaranteed a loss right now if you buy an iBook and sell it later. You will automatically lose up to four hundred bucks.

But if your folks buy you a laptop next year, completely free to you, and you don't like it, you can return it for most of your money back or sell it for most of your money back. You'll get more of your investment back if you sell a brand new laptop than a used laptop.

Just find a local public library that has an apple computer and use it for a bit. Or find a friend who has one (I'm sure someone you know, or someone who knows someone, would let you take it for a spin).

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Dude, once you go Mac, you never go back - and I'm not just saying it as some cheezy lingo.
I just recently got a Sony Vaio S series and I mean, Windows sucks. (Not that it's slow or crashes cause it's not, but it's so ugly and inefficient. It definately needs Expose, and I bet you longhorn will have some crappy version of it since MS likes to copy everything Apple does. >sigh<) Anyways, whenever I go back to my iMac G5, my eyes don't strain and my head doesn't hurt as much and it's so beautiful...AAAAHHH :)

oh btw, just wait for the intel PB - you don't need a laptop until you hit university. just stick with ur PC for high school. and then just buy a intel PB- they run windows i heard..or MAY run windows until further notice.

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
I was in the same boat as you about a year and a half ago. I wasn't too sure about jumping into the mac scene and wanted something to try out. I was looking at used G3 and G4 ibooks. My parents said that they could help out with a computer, so I got a (at the time) new ibook G4 800MHz. Used it, loved it, and have switched a good number of people since. Now, after getting a job and knowing that I can afford a powerbook, I own a 15" powerbook and absolutely love it. It is sooooo beautiful and the screen is just simply amazing.

Also, if all you want to do with the ibook is find out if you'd like the mac interface, then maybe you can borrow someone's mac for a couple of days and fiddle around with it.

Daniel

baboo2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
problem is no one LITEARLLY in my whole msn list of (140+) has an apple ...funny thing so how to borrow, and the school and libarary is all PC and old dells

baboo2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
URGENT

Description Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.

Item Specifics - Apple Laptops
Product Family: iBook Hard Drive Capacity (GB): 30 GB
Processor Type: PowerPC G4 Operating System: Mac OS 10.4, Tiger
Processor Speed: 1,250 MHz Screen Size: 12 inches
Memory (RAM): 512 MB Condition: Used

THe laptop is 3 months old , with shipping should i buy it for $810 USD People please tell me if this is a good deal/bad deal/ okay deal/ awesome etc..... ASAP Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.