Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nevermind13

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
Perhaps some buyers should wait for the second generation?

The rMB is sexy, but i don't like to pack a bunch of adapters. I bought a MBA, was not satisfied, got a rMBP. This is a real powerful machine, it manages all tasks. Even Windows per Parallels :).

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Say what you will, scoff all you want, but this machine wants to be what Microsoft already has put out - the Surface Pro 3.

TEBnewyork

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
The opinions are mixed. People like me who know what we are buying like it. People expecting a MacBook Pro in miniature form don't.

I wasn't going to buy it but went to see it at the store on the 10th. I went home and ordered it. I've had it for two weeks now. Perfect for me.

I was a devoted MBA user but just got a new 13"MBP for work. I was pretty shocked when I put them side by side and found that the MBP was smaller.

The new MB makes my MBA (2013) feel really dated. I don't really use ports that often on the Air...SD reader is it. All else is done with Airdrop, Dropbox etc. Don't need to connect to external displays.

The new charger is nice much smaller and lighter than MBA and MBP chargers with cable that detaches.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Sorry you only need $80 adapter if you want the multi-port adapter. USB can be bought for $10.

Some people like to think they're required to pay $80 for the multi-port adapter.

As long as everyone who even glances at the rMB gets sent a bill for $130 ($80 for an adapter, and $50 for a 40 watt equivalent LED bulb), the rMB is never going to take off.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Yeap, this a good MacBook, it is not any way shape or form a MacBook PRO. And neither is it designed to be, it is also not designed to showcase what the next MacBook Pro will be like becuae it compromises an awful lot, the Pro does not.

The new MacBook is a netbook, end of, albeit a very nice one. It will suit a lot of certain people very well but as per the article, it isn't going to suit a fair few current MB Pro users.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
I don't get this as a news article at all.

One review says "I knew it was small and light and had only one port, but I don't like it because it's small and light and has only one port"

The second review says they're returning it because it's hard to maintain and sync two laptops.

What has this got to do with the rMB?

Lots of hating going on, and comparisons with the rMBP13 at the same price. Yes it is. You can have bigger and more power, or smaller and less power, you get the choice. That's been the same throughout the computer industry for years. It's not like Apple won't let you buy a rMBP13 any more, so why on earth bring up the comparison?

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
I love mine for lots of reasons, but one complaint I have a hard time understanding is the single port.

Yes, a USB-A port would be convenient for plugging in my flash drive without the need for an adapter. But another USB-C port would be useless, especially with so few accessories out there right now.

Battery life on this computer is excellent. So you charge overnight, use all day. This means never using it when it's charging, if you don't want to.

Think about watch: you either use (wear) it, or charge it, not both at once, by design. iPhones and iPads are largely the same, and now Macs are too.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I don't think it will take 2 years for USB-C to catch on. With Apple being an early adopter, and so many companies chasing Apple, we'll see USB-C spread like wildfire now.

Same thing was said about Thunderbolt and that hasn't caught on as well as some had hoped.

TEBnewyork

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Yeap, this a good MacBook, it is not any way shape or form a MacBook PRO. And neither is it designed to be, it is also not designed to showcase what the next MacBook Pro will be like becuae it compromises an awful lot, the Pro does not.

The new MacBook is a netbook, end of, albeit a very nice one. It will suit a lot of certain people very well but as per the article, it isn't going to suit a fair few current MB Pro users.

And if Apple thought it would they would have replaced the MBP. They didn't.

I'm not quite sure though what it compromises. You could say port or CPU...but not everyone needs that. I can't use the MB as my primary machine but I hate unplugging my rMBP from 2x27 Thunderbolt displays because my screen layouts all get screwed up. So, MB is zero compromise for my use case.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The new charger is nice much smaller and lighter than MBA and MBP chargers with cable that detaches.

And another thing... you can charge the new MacBook with one of those external battery packs since it uses USB for charging.

That would be nice if you're set up somewhere and you can't be near a power outlet. You might be able to eek out a few more hours without being chained to a wall.

Dell actually sells an external battery pack as an accessory to their new XPS 13.

But since the new Macbook uses plain ol' USB... you can use any external battery (with a USB-A to USB-C cable)

To me... that's a killer feature.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
I don't get it. If you returned this because it wasn't powerful enough, or weren't satisfied with one port....you're definitely a "ohhh shiny" buyer, and didn't buy based on need. All of these things were obvious from the day it was announced.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
It needed 2 USB-C ports,free included USB-C adapter and lower price tag.
at current state,it's a very compromised and definitely over priced.
No thanks.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I don't get this as a news article at all.

One review says "I knew it was small and light and had only one port, but I don't like it because it's small and light and has only one port"

The second review says they're returning it because it's hard to maintain and sync two laptops.

What has this got to do with the rMB?

Lots of hating going on, and comparisons with the rMBP13 at the same price. Yes it is. You can have bigger and more power, or smaller and less power, you get the choice. That's been the same throughout the computer industry for years. It's not like Apple won't let you buy a rMBP13 any more, so why on earth bring up the comparison?

I agree. We shouldn't make value comparisons at all and the rMB lives in a bubble. :|

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.