Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheFish

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
The south, the deep south
i just got a pb from this guy, i want to reinstal the OS ans start clean but when i try to start up from the install disk in never boots up its just shows the pic of the apple and the little cirlcle thing below it and never starts up. anybody know what might be the problem?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: 12" PB problems

Originally posted by TheFish
i just got a pb from this guy, i want to reinstal the OS ans start clean but when i try to start up from the install disk in never boots up its just shows the pic of the apple and the little cirlcle thing below it and never starts up. anybody know what might be the problem?

If you're trying to boot from CD, just hold "C" down while it's booting.

arn

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
your best bet is...

I had this issue before on my iBook, I tried to boot from the CD so many times that I actually damaged the optical drive,
its easier if you can boot from a FireWire
optical drive such as a cd-rw, install the OS disk from that, you will see that its much easier and it wont damage the internal optical drive.

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
you get a cd-rw...

one that connects via the Pbook's FireWire port, install the disc on the external cd-rw, restart the Pbook either by holding down the C key, by default it should take the FW drive, if not restart holding the Option and O key
you will get a set of start-up drives, the external optical drive will appear select that and it will boot, if the Pbook already
can start normally, do the following: System preferences>startup disc>install CD from external FireWire drive>select that and restart.

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
you may do the following aswell...

try zapping the PRAM or reseting nvram see apple support on how to do these, then try using your internal drive. I have read plenty of times people resolving drive issues after doing these few steps. but most efficient is to borrow someones cd-rw or rom, if you have another computer via Terminal you may access your PBook. but I dont know how to do this but in macOSXhints you may find it.http://www.macosxhints.com/index.php

TheFish

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
The south, the deep south
well none of that worked and i dont have an external optical drive to run off of, i know this comp has os9 it will run it in the back round but it dosnt show up in the startup disk, i was thinking i could try and install from there, do you know why it might not be in the startup disk prefrence?

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
OS 9

if its running X, it has the 9 environment
capability, but you still have to install either OS 9 or 9.1-2. you may install these at your discretion, or upgrade them till you're at 9.2, it will give you the capability to boot into these back and forth, only then will it show in the startup\disc preferences in OS X. this might solve some directory issues. Once 9 is installed try Jaguar. there is another test which is the fsc -k test:http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214
try this before installing 9. once you install 9 you may go through the apple menu and under Control Panel>start up disc. OS X will be there to start-up.
but you can boot from the CD from 9 and do the upgrade selection or clean install.
I would advise to be patient and try to borrow a firewire cd-drive from someone or try the following: install OS X on an external firewire Hardrive, you may reboot from this same drive (via system preferences>startup disc) and it will become the active primary drive on the PBook, once that happens you may install OS X on the internal HD, this process becomes better since the internal HD becomes un-mounted and installation requires less effort, once installed shutdown completely and disconnect the external HD and restart, the new installation will be ready.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.