Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solomania9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Does anyone else notice this? I just got the computer a week ago and it's been flawless except this. It sounds as if the drive is trying to eject a disk whenever I open the lid. I tried it with a CD inserted and the sound disappeared, only to return again when I ejected it and tried again.

What could be causing this?

Thanks!

Gwendolyn

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2005
Massachusetts
I think it might be normal?... my 12-inch PB makes this noise, too. I had never noticed that it wasn't present when there was a CD in the drive, but the noise the SuperDrive makes when it spins up and reads the disc in the drive bothers me more, as a personal preference. I don't notice the sound you're mentioning as much as I used to, but my laptop does make it consistently when I wake it from sleep (whether I am opening the lid or not).

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I, too, thought the sound was normal. I've had my 12" PB since last July and it has always made that sound. I here it during boot-up as well. The drive might be checking to see if there is a disk in there or something. That's what I think.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
I'm pretty sure my ibook does the same, although appart from when I'm in a silent room and can hear pins dropping (That drawing pin dance really does work!) I have to say I don't notice it?

I'm presuming that the drive is checking for disk insertion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.