12" PowerBook Superdrive makes a noise when opening lid

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by solomania9, May 20, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2005
    Does anyone else notice this? I just got the computer a week ago and it's been flawless except this. It sounds as if the drive is trying to eject a disk whenever I open the lid. I tried it with a CD inserted and the sound disappeared, only to return again when I ejected it and tried again.

What could be causing this?

2. macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2003
    Las vegas
    Same exact thing happens with me. It is really annoying.
  3. macrumors member

Feb 3, 2005
    I think it might be normal?... my 12-inch PB makes this noise, too. I had never noticed that it wasn't present when there was a CD in the drive, but the noise the SuperDrive makes when it spins up and reads the disc in the drive bothers me more, as a personal preference. I don't notice the sound you're mentioning as much as I used to, but my laptop does make it consistently when I wake it from sleep (whether I am opening the lid or not).
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    I, too, thought the sound was normal. I've had my 12" PB since last July and it has always made that sound. I here it during boot-up as well. The drive might be checking to see if there is a disk in there or something. That's what I think.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    I'm pretty sure my ibook does the same, although appart from when I'm in a silent room and can hear pins dropping (That drawing pin dance really does work!) I have to say I don't notice it?

I'm presuming that the drive is checking for disk insertion?