Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/08/16/bees.reut/index.html

Wow, this is just nuts! Brings back memories, though, of pelting bee hives with rocks, base balls and other thrown objects. Never really got stung, though.

I can't imagine what the cloud of angry bees would have been like, though. Something right out of a horror movie :D And I know if I was a kid living there, I'd probably be one of the rock throwers....

The quarter-ton honeycomb, which may have accumulated inside the apartment wall for years, was so big it was threatening the structural integrity of the two-story building, Horner said.

And that's a lot of honey!

D

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Mr. Anderson said:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/08/16/bees.reut/index.html

Wow, this is just nuts! Brings back memories, though, of pelting bee hives with rocks, base balls and other thrown objects. Never really got stung, though.

I can't imagine what the cloud of angry bees would have been like, though. Something right out of a horror movie :D And I know if I was a kid living there, I'd probably be one of the rock throwers....

D

Rocks?!!! :confused:

I preferred my trusty Tippmann 98... :D

That, or fireworks...

Never attacked a hive that big, though. ;)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I'm no bee expert, but I'd think you'd hear 120,000 bees buzzing in your walls...

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Wow, I guess these weren't killer bees. I can't believe no one noticed the hive before, or if they did notice, why didn't someone take care of it before it grew to 500 lbs!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
give me a beesuit, some gasoline and a lighter and im good to go.

iJon

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
iJon said:
give me a beesuit, some gasoline and a lighter and im good to go.

iJon

and you will become a pin cushion in no time. with that many bees you might want to get a space suit. Yes!! a space suit, bee suits sometimes fail and you get stung

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
mikeyredk said:
and you will become a pin cushion in no time. with that many bees you might want to get a space suit. Yes!! a space suit, bee suits sometimes fail and you get stung
welll it was a cool thought anyways.

iJon

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
ExoticFish said:
WOW... where do i put my credit card info? :D

army surplus flame thrower...I'm sure if you search around in ebay long enough one would show up :D

D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
You guys are thinking way too small here...

you need one of these :eek: :D

D

I guess that you are willing to sacrifice the two story building in the process also. Just glad that 80,000 were saved by a beekeeper. Wonder what happened to the honey?

I disturbed a yellow jacket nest once. It was in a sign, didn't realize they were there. They chased me all the way back to my grandmothers house. I got stung a couple of times.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Wow. My wife FREAKS and SCAMPERS at even the hint of a buzz. She probably would have had a mental breakdown and sat rocking in a corner. Me, I don't mind bees. But I've never faced down 120,000 of them and their 1/4 ton hive. Wow.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
If only someone had video footage of the immense black cloud and the ensuing sprint. I keep envisioning something on the level of Steve Buscemi in the beginning of Reservoir Dogs - full tilt.

Nothing like the adrenaline rush you get from a hive attack. Ahhh youth...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Inspector Lee said:
Nothing like the adrenaline rush you get from a hive attack. Ahhh youth...

But its not just the adrenaline - its something you rarely get as an adult, or I should say *should* rarely feel. That fun, stupid adrenaline rush when you get all pumped up because you know you have done something devilishly idiotic and wrong on purpose ;)

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
krimson said:
2 cans of Triflouroethane (TFE or DFE) aka canned air. Flip it upside down, spray into the entrance. That should freeze enough of them to block escape, then you pump the other can in, light it, and watch all the oxygen get sucked out.

You'd still have to manage to get close to this mega hive. I'm sure that one of this size would have a huge entrance to accommodate all the bees coming and going....

D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
This would be a very important thing for those involved with the bees if they have an allergy.

Study: Allergy Shots Reduce Reactions To Bee Stings

Doctor Recommends Shots For People Who Don't Outgrow Insect Allergy

POSTED: 12:06 pm EDT August 16, 2004
Summertime can bring additional risks for children who are allergic to bee stings. But the good news is that most kinds outgrow such allergies

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/3656824/detail.html?treets=bos&tml=bos_health&ts=T&tmi=bos_health_1_12150008172004

Capn_Moho

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2003
Tempe, AZ
Mr. Anderson said:
army surplus flame thrower...I'm sure if you search around in ebay long enough one would show up :D

*sniff*

Reminds me of Metroid Prime.

I want pictures of the hive.

I'll trade pictures of flames shooting out of my apartment building for anyone who can find them!

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
Mr. Anderson said:
But its not just the adrenaline - its something you rarely get as an adult, or I should say *should* rarely feel. That fun, stupid adrenaline rush when you get all pumped up because you know you have done something devilishly idiotic and wrong on purpose ;)

D

It seems humans (and their primate relatives) are the only species in possession of the "f*** with factor" and this hive attack is just one of many examples. I remember fishing as a kid with some friends and a huge turtle popped its head out of the water about 20 yards from shore. Instantly, and I repeat instantly, we were scrambling for rocks, bricks, sticks, logs - anything with mass (roll sound of pond splashings).

I may be wrong but raccoons don't storm packed 4th of July patios just for the hell of it. Nor do bears enter towns or campgrounds unless they are hungry. Crocs will take to backyard pools if they need to cool off, not to scare the bejesus out of some lavender-panted geriatric Floridian. :D

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
wdlove said:
Study: Allergy Shots Reduce Reactions To Bee Stings

Doctor Recommends Shots For People Who Don't Outgrow Insect Allergy

POSTED: 12:06 pm EDT August 16, 2004
Summertime can bring additional risks for children who are allergic to bee stings. But the good news is that most kinds outgrow such allergies

umm... isn't that the point of allergy shots :confused:
But yeah, I generally don't mind bees all that much, but that many of them would be really creepy. In 5th grade, there was one of the underground nests, and someone I knew stepped on it and kept his foot there for like 5 minutes... those bees (yellowjackets? wasps? I can't remember...) were not happy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.