Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Hi, I plan on buying a MBP. I also plan to connect it to a 30'' ACD. I am not sure which configuration of MBP to get to run this giant display. Note that I don't plan on running any professional applications. Just Mail, iWork, Microsoft Office, and iTunes (all running at the same time). But my most important application is SAFARI. I love to have lots and lots of open tabs and videos running. Smooth streaming video is priority one. as well as SMOOTH 1080p video. Given this information, if I connect my MBP to a 30'' display, will I need 128mb of VRAM or 256mb of VRAM? What are the effects of VRAM or lack thereof (sp?)? What is VRAM???? Thanks!

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
vram is video ram in the video card. Since your running a 30 inch screen and want 1080p video....i think you need all the help you can get. my 2 cents.

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
You've gotta share that video ram with a 30"screen so get the 256 model

But there's a $500 price difference between the 2.16ghz 128mbVRAM MBP and the 2.33ghz 256mbVRAM MBP...
Sounds like you don't want to spend that extra $500. So don't. You'll be OK. 128MB Video RAM is still minimum for HD playback at 1920 x 1080 but on the 30" it's gonna want more. and remember you are SHARING the ram between both screens. So I think you are going to have to buy the 256MB model to be safe.

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Sounds like you don't want to spend that extra $500. So don't. You'll be OK. 128MB Video RAM is still minimum for HD playback at 1920 x 1080 but on the 30" it's gonna want more. and remember you are SHARING the ram between both screens. So I think you are going to have to buy the 256MB model to be safe.

What if I closed the MBP screen?

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco

two screens? Just use it with the lid closed.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
What if I closed the MBP screen?
Than (If you have an external keyboard or mouse to wake it) it wil lbe like you are at a desktop computer with the laptop being the "desktop" id still sugust 256 mb to be on the safe side
two screens? Just use it with the lid closed.
I have a macbook (not pro) and use an external 20" though it looks aqward I find it VERY nice to run extended desktop.

JPP

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
Hey there

But I thought that VRAM which is the graphics card RAM (am I right) has nothing whatsoever to do with video streaming at all. VRAM is to do with 3-D graphics and rendering and the like.

I may be wrong so please correct me if so but I posted a query about 128 or 256 of VRAM and was told by loads of people on this board that for video VRAM made not difference at all...

Best

J

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It isn't unless the "video" you're trying to view is massive. 3D work just happens to need a lot of vRAM because the video card needs to do a lot. I'm guessing 1080p is the same.

And why do you have a 30" ACD if your most important app is Safari? Also, if you can afford a 30" ACD and a MBP, why are you worried about $500? There's no point in buying the craziest, top-of-the-line Apple gear and then skimp on the vRAM.

JPP

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
So - can I just hijack this thread for a moment! Sorry! Are you guys saying that to play or manipulate HD video at 1080i or 1080p that the VRAM DOES make a difference? If that's the case I'm in a bit of a bind as I will be using a lot of HD video to watch and possibly manipulate but won't be doing any 3-D graphic work. So should I have gone for the 256???

Oh LAWD!

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
It isn't unless the "video" you're trying to view is massive. 3D work just happens to need a lot of vRAM because the video card needs to do a lot. I'm guessing 1080p is the same.

And why do you have a 30" ACD if your most important app is Safari? Also, if you can afford a 30" ACD and a MBP, why are you worried about $500? There's no point in buying the craziest, top-of-the-line Apple gear and then skimp on the vRAM.

That's the thing, I can barely afford this setup. I wanted a 30'' because it would last me years and years as a great monitor, which means that I would want to spend as LITTLE as I can on this MBP. I just want to find a balance, I don't need all that 3D rendering pro apps power on the MBP. And I want the 30'' because I like the big screen:)

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
So - can I just hijack this thread for a moment! Sorry! Are you guys saying that to play or manipulate HD video at 1080i or 1080p that the VRAM DOES make a difference? If that's the case I'm in a bit of a bind as I will be using a lot of HD video to watch and possibly manipulate but won't be doing any 3-D graphic work. So should I have gone for the 256???

Oh LAWD!

I wouldn't worry to much. The x1600 card is the most important thing..the extra vram is nice but the reason we're all saying to go for the 256 for this guy is due to his massive 30" screen.

That's the thing, I can barely afford this setup. I wanted a 30'' because it would last me years and years as a great monitor, which means that I would want to spend as LITTLE as I can on this MBP. I just want to find a balance, I don't need all that 3D rendering pro apps power on the MBP. And I want the 30'' because I like the big screen:)

I think if you closed the lid you'd be ok for 1080p video. Open for everything else prob. Then again..i've never seen a mbp with a 30" screen so I really can't say for sure either way.

zign

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
London
You could get yourself a 24" iMac with 2GB Ram and GeForce 7600 GT 256mb and a MacBook Pro if you decided to skip the 30".

JPP

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
I wouldn't worry to much. The x1600 card is the most important thing..the extra vram is nice but the reason we're all saying to go for the 256 for this guy is due to his massive 30" screen.

Thanks Freyqq!

Best wishes

J

moreover

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2006
or you could get a Dell 30in

for around $1200 and use the money for the 256VRAM. Also note that you may get away tax free on a Dell but likely not on the 30in Apple, unless you get it elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.