Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A 4th generation iPod Shuffle, apparently signed by Steve Jobs himself, is for sale on eBay. The signature on the iPod is similar to Jobs's signature, but the item doesn't include any guarantee or certificate of authenticity, though the seller does offer this story for how the signature was obtained:
As part of a "innovators of tomorrow" program, myself and a 3 of my colleagues were invited to attend an in-house Apple event. Before hand, we received complimentary Apple products, including an iPod Shuffle and iTunes credits. As usual, the topics covered touched base on were a number of Apple's latest innovations, as well as a sneak peak to future plans. After the conference, we were given the opportunity to talk with Steve himself about the shift in technology to more companion-oriented devices. As the discussion wrapped up, one person in our group asked if Steve would mind signing our iPods.

As the conversation went: "I hear you're not really one to give autographs, but I just gotta ask....will you sign my iPod? It's fine if you don't want to. I'm not normally one to even ask for autographs". Steve: *chuckling* "it's quite alright. You heard that about me?? well I wouldn't say that I don't like giving autographs, I guess I was never comfortable with the idea solely taking credit for something, which is to me what an autograph might imply. To be honest, I think I'm the last person who should sign something. A writer signing a book I can understand, but I think if anybody within our company should sign something, it should be members from our R&D team and all the others responsible for product innovation. It's unfortunate that they all can't receive the same level recognition. But I suppose it's easier this way though??....you would need a pretty big iPod to fit all those signatures".

He was very candid and very down to earth. To my knowledge, we were the only ones lucky enough to get Steve's ever-so-rare signature.
As of 10:45AM Pacific time, the bid for the signed Shuffle was just over $4,000.

Update: The listing has been removed from eBay for unknown reasons.

Update 2: The listing has reappeared on eBay with a minimum bid of $19,995. The auction has yet to receive any bids.

Article Link: iPod Shuffle Signed by Steve Jobs Available on eBay

aValerio

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
I think it's authentic

Attachments

• Schermata 12-2455915 alle 20.04.47.jpg
    Schermata 12-2455915 alle 20.04.47.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 495

Magnuslance

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is a rumor?

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
It does look authentic, but nothing says it like a COA. The up-front investment in a COA could vastly increase the value. Most collectors aren't willing to take the risk...I know I wouldn't. But best of luck to the seller if it is indeed real.

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Cool story...

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Steve would have never replied like that. He merely would have said, "Yep."

----------

I've got an old paycheck signed by Steve Jobs . . . how much do you think I'll get for it?

How long ago did you work for Apple that he would be signing the checks himself? I'd bet it's worth a lot more than it was initially written out for.

kejur

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2005
Hmmmm. A bit curious.

Of course it's possible that this is authentic. However, Steve Jobs got a new car every 6 months so he wouldn't have to have license plates on his cars. Why would someone who did that be willing to put his signature on something like an ipod?

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Sure, it is possible that it is authentic. It is also possible that it is not authentic considering there is no proof. Anyone that deals in autographs knows that some sort of certification is a must. As we've seen in this thread, Steve Jobs signature is available to be forged. BTW, the bid is now at $10k.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
I can totally attest to Steve not liking to do autographs. Back a long time ago when I was in high school, I attempted to create the world's largest autograph collection (I lost interest as soon as I got into college), and one of the folks I requested an autograph from was Steve Jobs.

I got a nastygram back from one of his secretaries.

/Bill Gates obliged, though.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I can totally attest to Steve not liking to do autographs. Back a long time ago when I was in high school, I attempted to create the world's largest autograph collection (I lost interest as soon as I got into college), and one of the folks I requested an autograph from was Steve Jobs.

/Bill Gates obliged, though.

But hey, you *did* get Tami's. :D

Antares

macrumors 68000

Dude, look at that! At least you got Tami Oiwa's autograph! Lucky!

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Actually, Jobs was busy innovating while Gates was busy having coffee while accounting tallied up his revenue from Windows licensing. All you needed at MS is someone to stand at the cash register. ;)

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I would put that in a safety deposit box, not on eBay. I'd wait to sell it in maybe 5 years.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
One of my friends has the first issue of Macworld magazine, signed by Jobs at the opening of the S.F. Apple store. Wired even wrote an article on it following the event. I wonder what THAT is worth. Though I don't think he has any plans to part with it.

I guess each to their own... but if I had something like that, it wouldn't be on eBay.

kejur

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2005
Wow.

So the price for this on ebay is upwards of $10,300!!! I agree with others that a certificate of authenticity is a must. There's another ipod shuffle (a silver one) on ebay that supposedly has Jobs' signature on it too. It's going for around $56. Funny how they both claim to be authentic and yet the signatures differ between the two. If this one or both are fakes, then it's really a shame that people are cashing in in this manner. I'm sure upon seeing the bids on this go higher and higher, it's a matter of time (probably minutes) before people start signing Steve's signature on everything and posting it on ebay. This is going to get out of hand, with a lot of suckers out there being taken for perhaps a lot of money for forgeries. Again, a real shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.